Teaching Your Body To Burn Fat?

Old April 9th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Teaching Your Body To Burn Fat?

In article ,
Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

If you can resist the hunger that follows hard exercise and reduced
blood sugar levels, you may be able to use the fast burn method, but I
doubt if that's common.

Immediately after exercise is the best time to
eat carbohydrates and nourish the muscles.
Also protein may be good to eat post-exercise.

--
Michael Press
Old April 9th 10, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 9, 11:56*am, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
*Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

If you can resist the hunger that follows hard exercise and reduced
blood sugar levels, you may be able to use the fast burn method, but I
doubt if that's common.

Immediately after exercise is the best time to
eat carbohydrates and nourish the muscles.
Also protein may be good to eat post-exercise.

--
Michael Press

Exactly, and because your body temperature is going to be high, you
may not necessarily feel super hungry. but eating will top the sugar
and provide protein and if you didn't let you sugar bottom during the
ride, you won't be feeling ravenously hungry, so, you'll eat what you
need and be satisfied. If you wait till you are hungry, your body
sugar will drop and when you start, you'll eat your entire
refrigerator.

Old April 9th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dan O:
I don't think you can teach your body to burn fat (though many fad
diet hucksters would probably like you to think so). I think you only
burn body fat when you run out of sugar - when you work beyond your
fuel intake.

I got started on the fat burning tangent because somewhere, a
looong time ago, I was reading about how one of the marathon
runner's specific abilities was to burn fat much faster than an
untrained person.

OTOH, now that I think of it.... how much fat does the average
marathon runner have available to burn..... -)
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 9th 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Price

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:18:43 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[Eating once a day for the past year and a half]

---

Seriously I expected much more difficulty or discomfort; no
big deal as it turns out.

Why did you decide to restrict meals to one per day?
Old April 10th 10, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Apr 9, 1:31 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Last night's lasagna served as a kind of time release fuel, and slowed
this mornings oatmeal utilization. A big bagel and peanut butter with
my coffee after arrival at work, then a couple cups of yogurt and a
couple bananas this afternoon got me ready to start the return leg. I
ate a Power Bar about halfway home, and instead of merely enduring to
make it home to the fridge, I pushed gears all the and felt great.

(It's Friday, and I sense an impending carnivore feast.)
Old April 10th 10, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Apr 9, 2:34 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Dan O:

I don't think you can teach your body to burn fat (though many fad
diet hucksters would probably like you to think so). I think you only
burn body fat when you run out of sugar - when you work beyond your
fuel intake.

I got started on the fat burning tangent because somewhere, a
looong time ago, I was reading about how one of the marathon
runner's specific abilities was to burn fat much faster than an
untrained person.

OTOH, now that I think of it.... how much fat does the average
marathon runner have available to burn..... -)

Endurance athletes can utilize surplus protein for energy.

Old April 10th 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Andrew Price wrote:
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:18:43 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[Eating once a day for the past year and a half]

---

Seriously I expected much more difficulty or discomfort; no
big deal as it turns out.

Why did you decide to restrict meals to one per day?

Snacking was out of control and I was showing the effects.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 10th 10, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 9 Apr, 00:49, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
Who want's to loose weight?

Let's start with that loose apostrophe.

It's a heavy comma which fell down from the posting above. Obviously
in need of loosing weight.
Old April 10th 10, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 9 Apr, 00:50, AMuzi wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 8 Apr, 20:19, Lou Holtman wrote:
On 8 apr, 21:02, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 11:38 am, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 8-4-2010 3:34, thirty-six schreef:
On 7 Apr, 12:57, *wrote:
Per thirty-six:
Rides should be steady, not slow. *Making 18mph ave?
Only in my dreams.
OTOH, I'm not as aero as the average road rider - 6'5", XXL tall
clothing, wearing baggy shorts/shirt, 1.5" tires, side-mounted
pannier bag....
OTOOH, long long ago and far far away I could average 24+ over an
88-mile ride that I did every Sunday in season.
Most of the road riders that pass me seem tb doing about 18mph -
that seeming to be a comfortable enough speed that they can carry
on relaxed conversations.
Smooth surface, no wind, I'll hold 14-15. *I can maintain 18 for
awhile, but it is ultimately anaerobic for me. * Wearing lycra,
still with a side pannier, I could hold 16 - at least for the 5
miles I was riding to work.
--
PeteCresswell
Make sure you are keeping the pedal forces low by selecting a
suitabley low gear. *You cannot develop endurance with high pedal
forces so concentrate on a smooth crank cycle. *Remember we are
talking hours here, not minutes. *It will take you 6-8 weeks just to
get in the groove, the weight should fall off after then. *The speed
is not important but rather your effort. *You should find the constant
effort such that you cannot speak in sentences but rather phrases.
Don't break into a sweat, you should be able to maintain the effort by
doing all breathing through your nose. *Concentrating on your timing
for inspiration and expiration will give you something to think about
and is beneficial. *Short in, long out (through nose, choking with
larynx to slow down expiration). *If you improve your cycling
technique, your speed should come with ease.
Cycling should be fun. This is no fun. If you want to lose weight, eat
less. It is that simple.
Lou
Eating less is not fun either. I have fun with cycling and ride hard.
He I am not the one who wants to lose weight.

Lou

Who want's to loose weight?

Some folks do, some don't care.

In late 2008 I was starting to look like John McCain.
By last Halloween I had a more Sarah Palin look.

OTOH some people embrace bulk:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-sized-mother-...
orhttp://preview.tinyurl.com/yzffga8

(that link does not have 'skin shots'. You really don't want
to see the other links. Trust me on this.)

As I see it, the choices are acceptance or change. YWMV.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That's dedication to training.
Old April 10th 10, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 9 Apr, 04:56, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 19:38:49 +0200, Lou Holtman

wrote:
Cycling should be fun. This is no fun. If you want to lose weight, eat
less. It is that simple.

Cycling is a good way to eat less -- it gives you something else to do
with your hands. *

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

I thought you have a takeaw,, erm handlebar bag?