CO2 Cartridge recommendations

Old September 8th 10, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default CO2 Cartridge recommendations

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 8-9-2010 19:55, Phil W Lee schreef:
Lou *wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/LoetjeH/LouSBikes#5514273181412491410

If that's a wet weather bike, it's missing it's mudguards, reflectors
and lights.

It is my wet weather bike and it misses nothing.

Lou

Damn right too. Your bike, your money, your choice. Real men don't shy
away from a little damp and dirt when they're enjoying themselves. If
you get a new bike and that one (a thing of furiously spare beauty)
has to go to make space for it in your collection, you know where I
live... -- Andre Jute
Old September 8th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Price

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 20:14:25 +0200, Lou Holtman
wrote:

If that's a wet weather bike, it's missing it's mudguards, reflectors
and lights.

It is my wet weather bike and it misses nothing.

You undress directly in front of the washing-machine, right?!?
Old September 8th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

wrote:

If that's a wet weather bike, it's missing it's mudguards, reflectors
and lights.

It is my wet weather bike and it misses nothing.

You undress directly in front of the washing-machine, right?!?

Is that a problem?

Lou
Old September 8th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
MikeWhy

Lou wrote:
http://picasaweb.google.com/LoetjeH/LouSBikes#5514273181412491410
If that's a wet weather bike, it's missing it's mudguards,
reflectors and lights.

It is my wet weather bike and it misses nothing.

Lou

Damn right too. Your bike, your money, your choice. Real men don't shy
away from a little damp and dirt when they're enjoying themselves. If
you get a new bike and that one (a thing of furiously spare beauty)
has to go to make space for it in your collection, you know where I
live... -- Andre Jute

But the bars are all bent. Won't your thoughts fall out of your brain tucked
over like that?

Old September 8th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Price

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:58:50 +0200, Lou Holtman
wrote:

It is my wet weather bike and it misses nothing.

You undress directly in front of the washing-machine, right?!?

Is that a problem?

Of course not - that a purely personal decision!
Old September 8th 10, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

wrote:

It is my wet weather bike and it misses nothing.

You undress directly in front of the washing-machine, right?!?

Is that a problem?

Of course not - that a purely personal decision!

OK then. To clear things up, that bike is for fun rides. Those rides
start and end at home so I don't mind getting wet. I need a shower anyway.
Going to work/store is another story. The bike I use for that has
fenders, light etc. etc.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LoetjeH/LouSBikes#5409219548945819138

Lou, one bike doesn't fit all
Old September 9th 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 09/08/2010 02:14 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 8-9-2010 19:55, Phil W Lee schreef:
Lou considered Tue, 07 Sep 2010
23:00:01 +0200 the perfect time to write:

Op 7-9-2010 22:24, Peter Cole schreef:
On 9/7/2010 2:16 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 7-9-2010 0:16, Peter Cole schreef:
On 9/6/2010 10:39 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 6-9-2010 13:48, Peter Cole schreef:
On 9/5/2010 7:10 PM, Mark J. wrote:

CO2 is handy when I flat in really hot or really wet weather (and
just
want to get moving), or if I'm at an event ride and don't want to
spend
the extra 5 minutes pumping. Otherwise, the pump does the job
for me.

I don't see it. The time to pump is less than the time it takes to
swap
a tube. If it's hot, I find some shade (not hard in New
England). If
it's wet, I'm already as wet as I'm going to be. I just don't
get the
point of CO2 inflators at all.

What is there to get?
Most modern roadframes are not suitable for a decent framepump
without
offering a waterbottlemount.

I've seen a lot of modern frames with real pumps. What's the problem?

No problem here. I have a perfect solution for my bikes and my kind of
riding. You were the one that couldn't understand why some people
prefer
CO2 cartridges in some situations. I tried to explain.

Lou

The OP justified it on time, which, as I explained, I couldn't see,
since the pumping isn't usually the longest step in fixing a flat.

You then said that a lot of modern bikes can't fit a frame pump. I've
seen a lot of modern bikes with them, can't a frame pump be strapped
under the top tube?

Aesthetics aside, rattle free and not damaging the paintjob? Not in my
experience. Often the rear brake cable is in the way. The only proper
place for a full frame pump IMO is along the seattube. In that case you
give up waterbottle mount. If it makes you feel better this is the bike
I use when there is an increased chance of a flat (rainy weather):

http://picasaweb.google.com/LoetjeH/LouSBikes#5514273181412491410

If that's a wet weather bike, it's missing it's mudguards, reflectors
and lights.

It is my wet weather bike and it misses nothing.

Lou

I don't often have a chance to ride a bike that *doesn't* have lights...
but that one, I like. I got dropped in a BIG way the last time I was
out and about by a guy on the twin of that bike... I'd like to think
that the bike was responsible for the vast majority of his obviously
superior speed G

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 9th 10, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 23:00:01 +0200, Lou Holtman
wrote:

Aesthetics aside, rattle free and not damaging the paintjob?

A few turns of electrical tape before I clamped on the peg protected
the paint. My pump doesn't rattle even though it was made to be
attached a different way. (Pumps to fit my frame are no longer made.)
Often the rear brake cable is in the way.

So I gave each of the clamps holding it a little shove, and now my
brake cable runs along the side of the top tube.

The only proper
place for a full frame pump IMO is along the seattube. In that case you
give up waterbottle mount.

Give up a water-bottle cage? I've often wished I had a place to put
a third cage on the bike; no way I'll ever surrender the one on the
seat tube.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

`
Old September 21st 10, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BigP

[Aplogies for not posting to the correct part of the thread, but my server
has not downloaded the entire thread]

An advantage with threaded cartridges is that they can be used with smaller
and lighter inflators, such as the Innovations Air Chuck SL. Cartridges can
be found reasonably inexpensively when bought in bulk.

I would recommend having a mini pump as well. The combination of one of the
lightest pump plus a CO2 inflator and one cartridge can be lighter than a
traditional full-length pump, be easier to carry in a bag when off the bke,
and get your tyre to high pressure with less time and effort.

Fitting cartridge BB - how to get it right PJay General 23 May 7th 07 06:54 PM
Cartridge BB Seals? [email protected][_2_] Techniques 9 March 25th 07 05:18 AM
cartridge BB ring [email protected] UK 2 July 11th 05 04:45 PM
Fitting cartridge BBs Paul Davis UK 11 August 22nd 04 05:32 PM
Cartridge bearings Paul Davis UK 5 August 8th 04 11:16 AM