Cycling is quickest for commute.

Old June 12th 11, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Default Cycling is quickest for commute.

On 11/06/2011 23:16, Phil W Lee wrote:

Actually, motorists have no right to use the road.
It is only permitted under licence, and subject to numerous
conditions.

If it were a right, it couldn't be revoked.

As long as the motorist complies with the law the right cannot be
revoked at all retard.

University
Old June 12th 11, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 09/06/2011 16:19, Simon Mason wrote:
On Jun 9, 4:07 pm, wrote:
I'm pretty sure fitness levels have no bearing on the level of perspiration
during exertion. Most pro sportsmen are dripping wet with sweat within a few
minutes of activity.

Bloody hell. It is 32C outside and my 16 stone missus has been
dripping with sweat walking around just now, while I was a dry as a
bone.

Bloody hell! No wonder you drink 7 pints a night.

University
Old June 12th 11, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_10_]

Ian Smith wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 16:46:25 +0100, Adam Lea
wrote:
On 09/06/11 11:57, Ian Smith wrote:

If you are cold, wear more clothes.

If you are hot, wear fewer clothes until you are at the limit of
decency. When you reach that limit, cycle slower.

I have never once found myself cycling along wishing I was in a car.
I often find myself sitting in a car in traffic wishing I was on a
bike.

How did you manage last December?

I cycled to work. Most of the people who normally drive didn't get
there the first few days, of course.

Even with three pairs of gloves on I got painful fingers on a
couple of occasions, because I couldn't cycle fast enough to get
the circulation going fully due to sheet ice.

Spiked tyres. Mountain mitts over thin liners on the coldest days. I
now have some over-mitts that will go over the mountain mitts so I'm
probably OK for another 10 or 15 degrees colder still.

The main thing I find with hands (which I agree can suffer if you're
not equipped) is to put the gloves / mitts on before leaving the
house, and do not take them off. Not for a second. This results in a
fair degree of fumbling - I have a padlock and chain to negotiate to
get my bike out, then have to do the padlock back up afterwards, then
put panniers on bike - but it makes a massive difference. I find my
hands stay happy in gloves, but if they get cold they don't regain
lost heat.

This is more important than what the gloves actually are. Put them
on before leaving the house, and don't take them off 'till you get to
your destination.

And mitts are much better than gloves. For cold days I use
http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/...in_mitt---305/
but most years I only wear them a few days (if it's well below zero
when setting out). The last couple of years I've had thin thermal
liners underneath on a couple of occasions.

I don't have problems cycling in mitts, on either straight (twist grip
gears) or drop (downtube shifters) handlebars.

(As an aside, my first pair of those mitts ruptured a crotch seam with
very little use, but the manufacturer replaced them at no cost to me.)

The overmitt to go over that is an extra-large Buffalo mitt.

There were many occasions that month where I was afraid of falling
and breaking a limb (especially after hearing about others who had
done just that).

I fell off once last winter, but actually that was when I extended my
ride home from work by a factor of three going for an extra ride
around because I was enjoying the ride. I think if I'd stuck to
riding from A to B I'd have been OK - it was the hunting out tricky
bits that led to my downfall. Critically, I had the studded tyres on,
but hadn't let the pressure down. After falling off, I let some air
out and was OK thereafter.

Last Sunday I did wish I was in the car, even though I wasn't
uncomfortable as such, I just find it a pain to cycle in heavy
continuous rain. I have not found anything that will both keep it
out and is comfortable to cycle in for more than half an hour.

On a long ride I don't particularly try to keep it out, except for on
my feet. I insulate with things that work when wet (eg pile when it's
cold).

If there was ever a better advertisement for a car, I haven't seen it.

Old June 12th 11, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Bartc

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
Ian Smith wrote:

The main thing I find with hands (which I agree can suffer if you're
not equipped) is to put the gloves / mitts on before leaving the
house, and do not take them off. Not for a second. This results in a
fair degree of fumbling - I have a padlock and chain to negotiate to
get my bike out, then have to do the padlock back up afterwards, then
put panniers on bike - but it makes a massive difference. I find my
hands stay happy in gloves, but if they get cold they don't regain
lost heat.

If there was ever a better advertisement for a car, I haven't seen it.

In such weather, cars can have their own problems: engines that won't start,
half-an-inch of ice on the windows, a temperature inside the car, for the
first few miles, which is exactly the same as outside (especially if needing
side-windows open to see out; that's if they are not frozen solid), and
slippery ice over the steep side roads you need to negotiate before you get
to the main road.

And you still need gloves..

--
Bartc

Old June 12th 11, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Ian Smith wrote:

[...]

Never heard of demisters, heaters, heated screens, de icer spray or garages?

University
Old June 12th 11, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Bartc

"Dave - Cyclists VOR" wrote in message

Well there is 20% tax on all purchases linked to motoring, including
cars, spares and fuel. I paid out a pretty penny on my van,
more than a car VED for my first year of use - but I got a free van!

And what do I get for
that 20%? Very little. Indeed the authorities seem to allow ******
cyclists to get in my way & break traffic laws all the time.

Strange. I get very, very few problems with cyclists where I live.

The problems I do get are related to speed bumps, traffic lights, buses,
speed cameras, double yellow lines and ... other motorists. Perhaps the more
of the latter that use bikes, the better.

--
Bartc

Old June 12th 11, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Bartc

"Dave - Cyclists VOR" wrote in message
On 11/06/2011 13:44, BartC wrote:

Where there are several lanes, and need to be on the right or middle
lane,
then they effectively have to ride between two lanes of traffic (for
example
at night, in the rain, with HGVs passing each side), since the lane
separator is only a nominal guide unlike a hard kerb).

Thus proving that a push bike isn't a viable form of transport.

Let's take a situation where your car breaks down, and it is absolutely
essential to get to your destination, five miles further the road, in the
next 20 minutes. There is no other traffic about.

You get out of your car, and notice someone has conveniently left a push
bike by the side of the road, and it happens to be downhill most** of the
way to your destination!

Would you stick to your principles and walk or run (and likely be late), or
jump on that bike and become 'scum'?

If you decide to use the bike, would you still consider it 'unviable'?

(** Had to put that bit in in case you decide to just coast down in the
car..)

--
bartc

Old June 12th 11, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Ian Smith

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011, Norman Wells wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:
[someone said]

How did you manage last December?

I cycled to work. Most of the people who normally drive didn't get
there the first few days, of course.

If there was ever a better advertisement for a car, I haven't seen it.

What? I put an extra pair of gloves on and got to work but
car-driving colleagues didn't get there at all? Is that the
advertisements for the superiority of the car? Buy a car - it will
reduce the reliability of your journey to work!

Those motorists that did get in mostly bunked off mid-afternoon
because they didn't fancy their chances getting home if they waited
after dark.

Or is it the bit where I say I had such a good time I actively
extended my journey home for more fun? Is that it? Buy a car -
you'll enjoy your travelling less so be less inclined to extend your
journey.

What exactly was the advertisement for a car?

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old June 12th 11, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mrcheerful[_2_]

BartC wrote:
[...]

you take out your mobile, call the AA and a taxi. Theft of anything is
illegal and unacceptable.

Old June 12th 11, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 12/06/2011 13:04, BartC wrote:

[...]

I'd call a cab.

If you decide to use the bike, would you still consider it 'unviable'?

I'd consider it theft. I am a law abiding motorist.

University

The Cycling Commute Gets Chic Claire Petersky General 26 May 15th 06 02:16 PM
Commute Brian MacKenzie Unicycling 5 October 21st 05 05:16 AM
Quickest tire change yet Checkernuts Unicycling 6 July 17th 05 09:21 PM
how far is your commute Jon_H UK 40 January 24th 05 11:54 AM
Quickest Release Cleats? Edward Holt Mountain Biking 13 November 12th 03 11:16 AM