Spoke threads exposed on new wheel - Safe?

Old November 6th 03, 06:00 PM
Mark Vieselmeyer

Default Spoke threads exposed on new wheel - Safe?

John Dacey wrote:
: On 5 Nov 2003 15:02:25 -0700, Mark Vieselmeyer
: wrote:

:But the truing stand should be able to serve as a jig. I still can't find
:sufficient discrepencies to account for the difference, so I'm fairly certain
:at this point that the wheel diameters really are different. So now I
:_can't_ go ride, because obviously my tire isn't going to stay on the rim
:(plus it's really cold out).

: The discrepencies you see come from two sources:

: 1- the difference in the ordinary diameters of front (9 mm)
: and rear (10 mm) axles. Your earlier exchanges already acknowledge
: this.

: 2- If your truing jig holds the axle ends in a vee-shaped
: notch at each end (as most do), the greater diameter of the rear axle
: keeps it seated a little higher up in the vee than is the case with
: front axles. That's why the roundness feeler gauge is off by more than
: just half the axle diameter difference when you change from front to
: rear.

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure it's round and not vee-shaped.

- mark

Old November 6th 03, 07:28 PM
Mark Vieselmeyer

A Muzi wrote:
: Mark Vieselmeyer wrote:
: But the truing stand should be able to serve as a jig. I still can't find
: sufficient discrepencies to account for the difference, so I'm fairly certain
: at this point that the wheel diameters really are different. So now I
: _can't_ go ride, because obviously my tire isn't going to stay on the rim
: (plus it's really cold out).

: I think you are trying to say that your truing stand hits
: the front rim differently from your rear rim. The variance
: of rim sections within an ISO size is pretty great. Did you
: try to mount the tire? What kind (brand/model) of rims are
: we talking about?

I havn't mounted tires yet, but I was only kidding about the tire falling
off. I'm not really concerned about that, but I was curious about the
apparent discrepency. The brand/model are Ritchey Aero Pro Road front
and Aero Pro OCR rear.

- mark