CO2 Cartridge recommendations

Old September 5th 10, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob[_5_]

Default CO2 Cartridge recommendations

I am new to CO2 and see that the 12g unthreaded cartridges are
available at a far less cost than the 16g threaded. I do not want to
be short changed however. I am a relative novice. I usually ride
about 35-40 miles with about 100 psi. Opinions please if the 16g
threaded would be needed (about $3.50 ea. vs. $0.60 ea).

Thanks in advance... Bob
Old September 5th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Bob wrote:
I am new to CO2 and see that the 12g unthreaded cartridges are
available at a far less cost than the 16g threaded. I do not want to
be short changed however. I am a relative novice. I usually ride
about 35-40 miles with about 100 psi. Opinions please if the 16g
threaded would be needed (about $3.50 ea. vs. $0.60 ea).

Thanks in advance... Bob

It's simple arithmetic; depends on tire volume.

12 gram will give you 20 psi in a 26x2.1 tire, 16g = 26psi
700-30 tires are 45psi with 12g, 60psi with 16g
700-23 about 110psi with 12g but 145psi with a 16g

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 5th 10, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Bob wrote:
I am new to CO2 and see that the 12g unthreaded cartridges are
available at a far less cost than the 16g threaded. I do not want to
be short changed however. I am a relative novice. I usually ride
about 35-40 miles with about 100 psi. Opinions please if the 16g
threaded would be needed (about $3.50 ea. vs. $0.60 ea).

Thanks in advance... Bob

Depends on how wide/large your tire is. Larger tires need larger
cartridges to obtain the same pressure (but also often need less
pressure). I (rarely) use 16g cartridges for 700x23 tires and ISTR
there's more than enough to get 120+ psi. (Most of the time I use a
frame pump).

If that 12g cartridge is only 60 cents, why not sacrifice one as an
experiment to see if it will provide satisfactory pressure in /your/ tires.

NOTE: You can get 16g UNthreaded cartridges cheap also, not just 12g.
Threaded cartridges aren't worth the cost, IMHO.

Mark J.
Old September 5th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Sep 5, 2:42*pm, Bob wrote:
I am new to CO2 and see that the 12g unthreaded cartridges are
available at a far less cost than the 16g threaded. *I do not want to
be short changed however. *I am a relative novice. *I usually ride
about 35-40 miles with about 100 psi. *Opinions please if the 16g
threaded would be needed (about $3.50 ea. vs. $0.60 ea).

Thanks in advance... Bob

I find a single 12g threadless to be fine for 700x23-25.
But also keep in mind you can always carry an extra cartridge and
still be $$ ahead if that is the concern. And I measure the weight of
two 12 g cartridges to be 86g compared to 58g for the 16. That's 1 oz.
more. Not much bulkier either.

DR
Old September 5th 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob[_5_]

On Sep 5, 5:15*pm, "Mark J." wrote:
Bob wrote:
[...]

It looks like the 12g will do but you mentioned a good by on 16g
unthreaded also. I haven't seen a good by on those around. Could you
please give me a recommendation or two on where I might find them? I
didn't see them on eBay.

Thanks... Bob
Old September 5th 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
MikeWhy

"Bob" wrote in message
I am new to CO2 and see that the 12g unthreaded cartridges are
available at a far less cost than the 16g threaded. I do not want to
be short changed however. I am a relative novice. I usually ride
about 35-40 miles with about 100 psi. Opinions please if the 16g
threaded would be needed (about $3.50 ea. vs. $0.60 ea).

http://www.amazon.com/16-Gram-Thread...3724105&sr=8-2

$13.50 per dozen.

Old September 6th 10, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Bob wrote:
On Sep 5, 5:15 pm, "Mark J." wrote:
Bob wrote:
[...]

I think I'm getting them for $1.50 each at the LBS. I think I could
beat that if I wanted to buy a dozen online (google is your friend), but
as I said, I use CO2 rarely, mostly I pump, so just a few at $1.50 are a
good buy for me.

CO2 is handy when I flat in really hot or really wet weather (and just
want to get moving), or if I'm at an event ride and don't want to spend
the extra 5 minutes pumping. Otherwise, the pump does the job for me.

Mark J.
Old September 6th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Sep 5, 4:02*pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

I am new to CO2 and see that the 12g unthreaded cartridges are
available at a far less cost than the 16g threaded. *I do not want to
be short changed however. *I am a relative novice. *I usually ride
about 35-40 miles with about 100 psi. *Opinions please if the 16g
threaded would be needed (about $3.50 ea. vs. $0.60 ea).

http://www.amazon.com/16-Gram-Thread.../B002H9US7C/re...

$13.50 per dozen.

$13.50 + $6.45 shipping

Old September 6th 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 5, 5:10*pm, "Mark J." wrote:
Bob wrote:
On Sep 5, 5:15 pm, "Mark J." wrote:
Bob wrote:
[...]

You can get them from walmart for under a buck. I never do this cause
I use a frame pump.
Old September 6th 10, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
MikeWhy

DirtRoadie wrote:
On Sep 5, 4:02 pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

I am new to CO2 and see that the 12g unthreaded cartridges are
available at a far less cost than the 16g threaded. I do not want to
be short changed however. I am a relative novice. I usually ride
about 35-40 miles with about 100 psi. Opinions please if the 16g
threaded would be needed (about $3.50 ea. vs. $0.60 ea).

http://www.amazon.com/16-Gram-Thread.../B002H9US7C/re...

$13.50 per dozen.

$13.50 + $6.45 shipping

$20 per dozen.

Fitting cartridge BB - how to get it right PJay General 23 May 7th 07 06:54 PM
Cartridge BB Seals? [email protected][_2_] Techniques 9 March 25th 07 05:18 AM
cartridge BB ring [email protected] UK 2 July 11th 05 04:45 PM
Fitting cartridge BBs Paul Davis UK 11 August 22nd 04 05:32 PM
Cartridge bearings Paul Davis UK 5 August 8th 04 11:16 AM