replacing drivetrain on a SS

Old April 28th 04, 12:23 AM
jj1075

Default replacing drivetrain on a SS

I bought a slightly used single speed a few months ago to see if I liked
the whole concept. Well I do but I've managed to wear down the drivetrain
after only maybe 600 miles. I was wondering who makes a good set of quality
components like free wheels,cogs, rings etc. Also, a good chain as well. I
understand the need to replace these parts often in comparison to
multi-geared rigs, but I'd like to get stuff that lasts for a bit.

Also, brake pads...the pads that come with the Avid 3.0's wear pretty
quick. Any recommendations on what to use instead of the Avid replacements?

Thanks in advance,

JJ

Old April 28th 04, 05:28 AM
miles todd

jj1075 wrote:
I bought a slightly used single speed a few months ago to see if I liked
the whole concept. Well I do but I've managed to wear down the drivetrain
after only maybe 600 miles. I was wondering who makes a good set of quality
components like free wheels,cogs, rings etc. Also, a good chain as well. I
understand the need to replace these parts often in comparison to
multi-geared rigs, but I'd like to get stuff that lasts for a bit.

Also, brake pads...the pads that come with the Avid 3.0's wear pretty
quick. Any recommendations on what to use instead of the Avid replacements?

Thanks in advance,

JJ

If you put a decent chainring like a Spot on there, it sould love you
long time. An ACS Claws freewheel will run pretty much forever, with
only an occasional need for any work.
Buy a good chain. I like SRAM PC 99 chains, but any top-end 8 or 9
speed chain (or 10, for that matter. I have a Campagnolo Record 10
speed chain on mine) will work quite well.
Really, a SS needs LESS replacement of these things than a muti does,
not more. If your chain line is good and you keep the chain lubed, you
should get good service from your drivetrain for a really long time.

Get WTB Razor Blade pads. They are great.

miles

Old April 28th 04, 06:31 PM
JD

miles todd wrote in message ...
jj1075 wrote:
I bought a slightly used single speed a few months ago to see if I liked
the whole concept. Well I do but I've managed to wear down the drivetrain
after only maybe 600 miles. I was wondering who makes a good set of quality
components like free wheels,cogs, rings etc. Also, a good chain as well. I
understand the need to replace these parts often in comparison to
multi-geared rigs, but I'd like to get stuff that lasts for a bit.

Also, brake pads...the pads that come with the Avid 3.0's wear pretty
quick. Any recommendations on what to use instead of the Avid replacements?

Thanks in advance,

JJ

If you put a decent chainring like a Spot on there, it sould love you
long time.

There is thruth in those words, as mine is going on well over a year.

An ACS Claws freewheel will run pretty much forever, with
only an occasional need for any work.

Ditto. Stay away from ****mano freehubs unless you weigh under 100
lbs.

Buy a good chain. I like SRAM PC 99 chains, but any top-end 8 or 9
speed chain (or 10, for that matter. I have a Campagnolo Record 10
speed chain on mine) will work quite well.

I need to post a pic of my new SS chain. It's obnoxious. My only
advice is to stay away from the Sram PC-1. They are complete and
utter crap.

Really, a SS needs LESS replacement of these things than a muti does,
not more. If your chain line is good and you keep the chain lubed, you
should get good service from your drivetrain for a really long time.

Simplicity is cheap too, after initial investments anyway.

Get WTB Razor Blade pads. They are great.

Agreed. I use Ritchey reds with some success too.

JD
Old April 29th 04, 12:59 AM
jj1075

[...]

Thanks for the info and advice, fellas. I'm looking at the Spot stuff now.
The titanium cog looks interesting as well from Spot. I gotta learn up on
titanium some before I lay down $40 though. I'd like to know if there is a
big gain in durability using this metal over steel or Al.

I guess I'll go hunt down some of those WTB pads at the bike shops
tomorrow.

Thanks again....

JJ