Chains per drivetrain?

Old November 9th 04, 06:35 PM
Bruce Edge

Default Chains per drivetrain?

I know I've whined about this before, but it stull sucks having but new
cassette and rings after only 3 chains.

I pulled each chain off at .75mm of stretch as measured by a park
streatch indicator tool, even though it says replace at 1.00mm

I threw on a 4'th chain and insta-chain-suck. Crap. Examine rings and
cassette, yup they be toast.

What does everone else do, replace chains every 2 months?

Luckily I saved all the .75 stretched chains, so I figure Ican run those
all out to 1.00 then **** can the whole thing in a couple more months.

-Bruce
Old November 9th 04, 08:25 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Luckily I saved all the .75 stretched chains, so I figure Ican run
those all out to 1.00 then **** can the whole thing in a couple more
months.

You can, but your chainrings will wear down faster, too, albeit slower than
either the chain or cassette. Add that into your cost equation.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 9th 04, 10:34 PM
D T W .../\\...

"Bruce Edge" wrote in message
I know I've whined about this before, but it stull sucks having but new
cassette and rings after only 3 chains.

I pulled each chain off at .75mm of stretch as measured by a park
streatch indicator tool, even though it says replace at 1.00mm

I threw on a 4'th chain and insta-chain-suck. Crap. Examine rings and
cassette, yup they be toast.

What does everone else do, replace chains every 2 months?

Luckily I saved all the .75 stretched chains, so I figure Ican run those
all out to 1.00 then **** can the whole thing in a couple more months.

-Bruce

I've been putting a new XT crank on every year (Klein Adept Full S), about
1000 miles.

I run 4 sets of wheels so I don't have a good feel for cassette wear.

I clean and change chains often and 3/yr seems to be my rate. Using ProLink
lube.

The M751 cranks are getting hard to find.,,,,,,,,,,. I stocked up ;-)

If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Old November 9th 04, 11:47 PM
Bruce Edge

D T W .../\... wrote:

I've been putting a new XT crank on every year (Klein Adept Full S), about
1000 miles.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

Yeah, that's about my wear lifetime too. Just seems a little short for
how much the stuff costs.

Yeah yeah, whine moan, bitch bitch....

I like buying new stuff cuz it's better than what I have, not because I
have to replace worn out bits. That's no fun.

-Bruce
Old November 10th 04, 04:02 PM
justen

Bruce Edge wrote:
D T W .../\... wrote:
I've been putting a new XT crank on every year (Klein Adept Full S), about
1000 miles.

Yeah, that's about my wear lifetime too. Just seems a little short for
how much the stuff costs.

You guys are only getting 1000 miles out of a crankste? I'm still running
a set of '93 LX cranks that must have over 20,000 miles on 'em. I've
replaced the chainrings a few times, but the crankarms are fine. They've
got some major rock dings, but nothing major.

Are you guys abusing your cranks?

justen

Old November 10th 04, 07:36 PM
Bruce Edge

Chris Phillipo wrote:

I guess you don't live in a sandy/mud area. I get maybe 1000km out of a
middle chain ring and 2000 out of the other two, 500 km out of a chain
and the cassette lasts soemwhere in between. Typically I go three
chains to a cassette and 2 cassettes to a ring change. Only changed my
rear deraileur cable twice in 4 years tho, go SRAM ESP!

That sounds a lot like my wear pattern.
Since you burn through them as fast as I do, what model do get? I'm
looking at ring cost as a buying consideration now.

-Bruce
Old November 10th 04, 08:01 PM
supabonbon

Bruce Edge wrote in message ...
I know I've whined about this before, but it stull sucks having but new
cassette and rings after only 3 chains.

I pulled each chain off at .75mm of stretch as measured by a park
streatch indicator tool, even though it says replace at 1.00mm

I threw on a 4'th chain and insta-chain-suck. Crap. Examine rings and
cassette, yup they be toast.

What does everone else do, replace chains every 2 months?

Luckily I saved all the .75 stretched chains, so I figure Ican run those
all out to 1.00 then **** can the whole thing in a couple more months.

-Bruce

I know. It sucks. Tires are one thing, but drivetrain replacements bug
me.

I trust that you're not using bad shifting ratios, like running the
big ring across to the largest cog. And that you clean you chain often
enough so that it's not sandpapering your rings down. And that you
don't spend all your time mashing the pedals. Technique does count for
something.

My way around it isn't for everybody, but I own a slew of bikes (8 get
regular use) and keep lots of junk parts around. The stuff that's too
worn out for the good bikes gets installed on the beaters, which I use
90% of the time. My good mountain bike and my road bike get more
attention because they receive the most abuse and are used in the most
precarious situations. The bikes I'm curb-hopping on only need to be
functional.

/s

Old November 10th 04, 08:04 PM
Dave

Bruce Edge wrote in message ...
I know I've whined about this before, but it stull sucks having but new
cassette and rings after only 3 chains.

Well if it's any consolation, I'm a pretty casual rider (2-3 rides per
week from April into November, most under 10 miles) and generally have
to replace my drivetrain annually. I was hoping to nurse this years
set through next spring, but the chainsuck monster struck a couple of
weeks ago. I was happy that I only needed the small chainring with the
chain & cassette. Cost about $75, cheap for a year's worht of riding!
Dave Dowler