Vino - annoying energizer bunny or what?

Old July 24th 05, 09:06 PM
Tony

Default Vino - annoying energizer bunny or what?

I admired him more when he made the podium riding for GC in '03. True he
bagged a couple of stages this year, but guys like him and Oscar Pereiro who
really don't seem to support their leading GC guy just appear to me as
selfish idiots. That and his ugly-ass baby-blue t-mobile/kazak uniform made
me hate the guy this year when in the past I've admired him. He'll be a team
leader next year, but I hope discovery passes him over, which it appears
they will.

-Tony

Old July 24th 05, 09:17 PM
sonarrat

Tony wrote:
I admired him more when he made the podium riding for GC in '03. True he
bagged a couple of stages this year, but guys like him and Oscar Pereiro who
really don't seem to support their leading GC guy just appear to me as
selfish idiots. That and his ugly-ass baby-blue t-mobile/kazak uniform made
me hate the guy this year when in the past I've admired him. He'll be a team
leader next year, but I hope discovery passes him over, which it appears
they will.

No way - in the past he's been as cold as granite, inscrutable and not
much fun to watch. Now he's a lot more animated, though it seems to have
cost him a bit in the brute-strength department.
Old July 25th 05, 01:56 AM
Fred

"Tony" wrote in message
I admired him more when he made the podium riding for GC in '03. True he
bagged a couple of stages this year, but guys like him and Oscar Pereiro

who
really don't seem to support their leading GC guy just appear to me as
selfish idiots. That and his ugly-ass baby-blue t-mobile/kazak uniform

made
me hate the guy this year when in the past I've admired him. He'll be a

team
leader next year, but I hope discovery passes him over, which it appears
they will.

-Tony

I have the same sentiments.

Old July 25th 05, 06:53 PM
Al

It would be interesting to know to what extent Vino and Pereiro's
managers were okay with what they were doing. I have to believe that,
in the end, their actions resulted in better PR for their teams than if
they were drones for their GC riders. To me the bigger shock was the
fact that Vino was alone against Levi and his boys in the intermediate
sprint - surely some team support at that moment would have been more
worthwhile than hanging with Ulrich. Although, I guess you could make
the point that he obviously didn't need it... :-). I agree, though,
that he wouldn't be a good match for Discovery.

- Al

Old July 25th 05, 06:54 PM
Morgan Fletcher

Vinokourov was one of the most exciting figures in this race, and I thought
he rode with great courage and agression. He seemed to be riding on his
own, rather than as a team member at times. He is a privateer, and should
lead a squad. Perhaps he could lead one of the sleepy French squads to a
renaissance. I admire Armstrong for what he's done, but this year I found
the riding of some other riders, like Vinokourov, to be most inspiring. He
makes for great drama in a bike race.

So, I'd be on the "what" side. In this case "what" is big heart, big risks,
big efforts and big results. He rocks.

Recovering from the Downieville XC race,

Morgan
--
Morgan Fletcher, Oakland, CA, USA
Old July 25th 05, 07:06 PM
nancy1

Tony (remove) wrote:
I admired him more when he made the podium riding for GC in '03. True he
bagged a couple of stages this year, but guys like him and Oscar Pereiro who
really don't seem to support their leading GC guy just appear to me as
selfish idiots. That and his ugly-ass baby-blue t-mobile/kazak uniform made
me hate the guy this year when in the past I've admired him. He'll be a team
leader next year, but I hope discovery passes him over, which it appears
they will.

-Tony

Phil/Paul said he out-and-out said that he wanted to be on a team where
he could be the leader; that kind of lets out Discovery, I think....and
the French-sponsored teams are probably too proud to have a
non-Frenchman as captain.

N.

Old July 25th 05, 10:33 PM
Robb McLeod

On 25 Jul 2005 11:06:16 -0700, "nancy1"
wrote:

Tony (remove) wrote:
I admired him more when he made the podium riding for GC in '03. True he
bagged a couple of stages this year, but guys like him and Oscar Pereiro who
really don't seem to support their leading GC guy just appear to me as
selfish idiots. That and his ugly-ass baby-blue t-mobile/kazak uniform made
me hate the guy this year when in the past I've admired him. He'll be a team
leader next year, but I hope discovery passes him over, which it appears
they will.

-Tony

Phil/Paul said he out-and-out said that he wanted to be on a team where
he could be the leader; that kind of lets out Discovery, I think....and
the French-sponsored teams are probably too proud to have a
non-Frenchman as captain.

Was I the only person here to notice that when Armstrong was waiting
to get on the podium, he had a chat with Ullrich, and then Vino? When
he was talking to Vino, Vino made a gesture swept across Lance's
Discovery sweater's logo and then acted as if to put it upon his own.

I think Vinokoruv still really wants to ride for Discovery.

--
Robb McLeod )
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
Old July 25th 05, 10:51 PM
Eric Hill

Robb McLeod wrote:
Was I the only person here to notice that when Armstrong was waiting
to get on the podium, he had a chat with Ullrich, and then Vino? When
he was talking to Vino, Vino made a gesture swept across Lance's
Discovery sweater's logo and then acted as if to put it upon his own.

I think Vinokoruv still really wants to ride for Discovery.

That may be so, but I doubt it could happen in a way he wants. He
obviously wants to be the utmost center of attention, tactics or not.

-eric

Vino Loses More than 5:18 Today Frank Drackman Racing 3 July 13th 05 09:16 PM
Bunny hop jc_dunn Unicycling 8 March 31st 05 04:51 AM
Marty Wallace wastes an astonishing amount of time annoying people on the internet. Muja General 0 January 28th 05 05:43 PM
Marty Wallace wastes an astonishing amount of time annoying people on the internet. Muja Racing 0 January 28th 05 05:43 PM
Billy removes support from Peewee (seeXXXVII for a Laugh) Di Social Issues 3 October 29th 04 05:31 AM