Alarm lock

Old July 11th 19, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Alarm lock

Bought this today at a "mom and pop" hardware store. At $13, I thought the price was quite reasonable.

Searches for it lead me to believe the company is no longer in business though.

https://imgur.com/a/mHSoIA5

It has an alarm built in that detects movement a certain number of times and then sounds a 110 decimal alarm. Resets itself etc.

It uses 9 LR44 batteries which last around 2 years.

I think it is closer to 90 - 100 decibels.

What do you think?

Andy
Old July 11th 19, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 21:05:35 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

Bought this today at a "mom and pop" hardware store. At $13, I thought the price was quite reasonable.
Searches for it lead me to believe the company is no longer in business though.
https://imgur.com/a/mHSoIA5
It has an alarm built in that detects movement a certain number of times and then sounds a 110 decimal alarm. Resets itself etc.
It uses 9 LR44 batteries which last around 2 years.
I think it is closer to 90 - 100 decibels.
What do you think?
Andy

Adding an alarm to a bad lock does not magically make it a good and
secure lock.

"[505] Chinese "AlarmLock" Picked Without Triggering Siren
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj9kh5Guz6M

"[507] AlarmLock Revisited... With a Hammer!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzb74kzFAIs

The "lock picking lawyer" is quite good at picking, bypassing, and
destructive entry.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 11th 19, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

Duh. I just noticed another problem. The pot metal lock case does a
fairly good job of blocking the high frequency beeper sounds. So,
holes in the lock case are needed to make the beeper heard. All that
is necessary to silence the beeping is plug up the holes with putty or
wrap the holes with a towel. It could be beeping away merrily and
nobody would hear it while I pick the lock.

Old July 11th 19, 12:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

In case you did not notice, but it took minutes.

If you tamper or move the lock, it goes off at around 110 decibels.

1. I now know that someone is trying to steal my bike

2. I then decide if I club that person over the head before calling police

3. If I have my swiss army knife with me, I could engage the long blade and practice my knife throwing skills if he has realized his folly and flees the scene.

I think I can make 60 mph.

Try to think before posting.

Andy
Old July 11th 19, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 04:25:23 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

In case you did not notice, but it took minutes.

Yep. As the author mentioned in the 2nd video, he had trouble picking
the dimple lock because he was trying to avoid setting off the alarm.
As I mentioned, stuffing some putty into the holes in the case or
wrapping the area with a towel to muffle the noise, would probably be
sufficient. I don't have one of these locks to try it. Putty might
make a mess, but could you wrap the luck with a towel and check if it
properly muffles the beeping?

If you tamper or move the lock, it goes off at around 110 decibels.

The specs say 110 dba sound level. According to this chart, that's
about the level of a live rock band:
https://owlcation.com/stem/decibel-levels
That's quite loud. Usually such measurements are made at a distance
of 1 meter. I doubt if the tone generator can produce 110 dba at 1
meter.

Also, the LR44 batteries is good for about 100 ma-hr capacity. There
are 9 of them in the package. At 1.4v, that's 1.26 watt-hrs. That
means if the noise maker can deliver 1.26 watts, it will run for 1 hr
before the battery dies. Since the battery chemistry is alkaline, the
voltage will drop rapidly, yielding perhaps 30 minutes of noise.
Somehow, I fail to see how this arrangement can produce the sound of a
live rock band for 30 minutes on such tiny cells.

Got a sound level meter? If not, there are apps available for various
smartphones. Look for one that does SPL (sound pressure level).
Measure at 1 meter and see what you get.

1. I now know that someone is trying to steal my bike
2. I then decide if I club that person over the head before calling police

Is your bicycle worth getting knifed or shot by the thief? The thief
is unlikely to be picking the lock, but more likely to use brute force
to pry open the lock. So, he'll be carrying a pry bar, angle grinder,
or two large open end wrenches. These all make tolerable weapons.

3. If I have my swiss army knife with me, I could engage the long blade
and practice my knife throwing skills if he has realized his folly and
flees the scene.

The typical Swiss Army knife does not have the weight to be able to
penetrate a jacket or even several layers of cloth when thrown at a
reasonable distance. It's almost miserably balanced and not
particularly aerodynamic. Compare it with a typical throwing knife:
https://www.google.com/search?q=throwing+knife&tbm=isch

I think I can make 60 mph.

60 mph = 88 ft/sec. Can you really move 88 ft in one second? You
would have difficulties doing that riding a bicycle and no chance at
all on foot. 25 mph is what a decent cyclist can do. (I have a copy
of a speeding ticket I received for going faster than the local speed
limit on my bicycle at 30 mph). I recently measured my running speed
with hand held GPS at 10 mph or less.

And in the 2nd video, he disengages the alarm feature by reversing the shackle.

I didn't know how the lock worked. I guess that explains why the
alarm didn't go off. You should add that comment to the authors
YouTube video.

So Jeff. Do you want to know how I rate your I.Q.?

Sure. Mine runs between 115 and 130 depending on which standardized
test was used. Over the years, it has decreased to the low end of
this scale due to various medical problems and the side effects of
several prescription drugs. So, how do rate this?

I apologize for much of what I said.
You were trying to help with limited knowledge of the actual lock.
You have given me ideas on how to improve the lock.
Like positioning it so it is much harder to break open using a hammer.

You're forgiven. However, before you offer any lock improvements, may
I suggest you watch this video on breaking the hasp using two
wrenches:
"[760] The REAL Double Wrench Method Tested"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOSWXo9fpTI (6:26)

More on locks:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp1orOGJwZvjLAvckyxC4Nw

Old July 11th 19, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Oooh! I can just imagine the charges AK would face if he hit a would be thief on the head with a club. Throwing a knife at a would be thief? I wonder if the charges would include attempted murder?

Cheers
Old July 11th 19, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

You have a vivid imagination and can not comprehend when I am being humorous.

Andy
Old July 11th 19, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Even though I have and am using the lock, you have determined you know what's best. :-)

It's always too soon too quit.

Andy
Old July 11th 19, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The author gets low points in the I.Q. department.

I give him a 20.

Andy
Old July 11th 19, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Am NOT alone in my alarm [email protected] Australia 40 December 22nd 08 03:28 PM
alarm lock trino General 1 July 20th 06 02:05 AM
FS Master Lock Street Cuff 9-Link Bike Lock [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 21st 05 08:06 AM
A new lock cable idea, was Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen John Thompson Techniques 2 October 10th 04 02:15 PM
A new lock cable idea, was Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen Matt O'Toole Techniques 30 October 10th 04 02:10 PM