A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Coil Springs for Old Elastomer Forl Upgrade?

Old January 11th 20, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pat SnickerBelly
external usenet poster

Default Coil Springs for Old Elastomer Forl Upgrade?

Hello,

Anybody know if there is a currently common source of coil springs that can be dropped into these model forks to replace the elastomers f

Coil Springs for Rock Shox Indy/Jett/Mag 21/Quadra Upgrade? Those would all likely take the same diameter spring.

I'm also interested in dropping springs into Rock Shox Judys and old Manitous with the MACH 5 (recalled) lowers.

Willing to cut some coils to shorten.

Possible models that might have springs that fit (?)
-Rock Shox Dart...inexpensive and available in various weights
-various cheap department store junk forks

I'm trying to keep a vintage 1" MTB fleet alive with decent forks that don't require a lot of maintenance. and just LAST.

Pat S

Ads
Old January 12th 20, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 8:06:16 AM UTC-8, Pat SnickerBelly wrote:
Hello,

Anybody know if there is a currently common source of coil springs that can be dropped into these model forks to replace the elastomers f

Coil Springs for Rock Shox Indy/Jett/Mag 21/Quadra Upgrade? Those would all likely take the same diameter spring.

I'm also interested in dropping springs into Rock Shox Judys and old Manitous with the MACH 5 (recalled) lowers.

Willing to cut some coils to shorten.

Possible models that might have springs that fit (?)
-Rock Shox Dart...inexpensive and available in various weights
-various cheap department store junk forks

I'm trying to keep a vintage 1" MTB fleet alive with decent forks that don't require a lot of maintenance. and just LAST.

Pat S

Seems to me that it wouldn't be a good idea to put steel into an aluminum moving part. You can get new elastomers for the forks though: https://suspensionforkparts.net/esho...-97-xc-sl.html
Old January 13th 20, 01:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Seems to me that it wouldn't be a good idea to put steel into an aluminum moving part. You can get new elastomers for the forks though: https://suspensionforkparts.net/esho...-97-xc-sl.html

It was a very common upgrade during the time when relatively decent forks (for their time) still had elastomers. They STILL sell low end forks with steel coil springs in the magnesium or aluminum lowers.

I'm not concerned about dropping springs in. Just looking for any knowledge out there on where to SOURCE the springs.

Not going back to elastomers. Too much loss temperature variability.
Old January 14th 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 13, 2020 at 4:03:43 AM UTC-8, wrote:

It was a very common upgrade during the time when relatively decent forks (for their time) still had elastomers. They STILL sell low end forks with steel coil springs in the magnesium or aluminum lowers.

I'm not concerned about dropping springs in. Just looking for any knowledge out there on where to SOURCE the springs.

Not going back to elastomers. Too much loss temperature variability.

Spring manufacturers are all over the place. You want a compression spring. You also have to calculate the spring rate. You can have custom springs made for surprisingly low prices but you have to know what you're doing.
Old January 17th 20, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pat SnickerBelly
external usenet poster

Thanks, to all!