Looking for images of broken drilled alloy dropbar

Old January 16th 20, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Looking for images of broken drilled alloy dropbar

I've advised people not to drill an alloy handlebar in order to route their brake cables and/or derailleur cables inside the handlebar. I looked on the web for images of broken alloy dropbars that have failed because of being drilled but can't find any. I KNOW I had such images on my other computer that dies. Can anyone here give me links to such images of broken drilled alloy dropbars?

Cheers
Old January 16th 20, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/16/2020 4:25 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've advised people not to drill an alloy handlebar in order to route their brake cables and/or derailleur cables inside the handlebar. I looked on the web for images of broken alloy dropbars that have failed because of being drilled but can't find any. I KNOW I had such images on my other computer that dies. Can anyone here give me links to such images of broken drilled alloy dropbars?

Cheers

Broken handlebars are well documented:
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

But although the principle of a hole in a dynamically
stressed tube is clear, I could not find an image. I have
seen home-drilled bars propagate cracks but not actually
fail. That may be a function of low mileage on specialty
bicycles.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 16th 20, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/16/2020 5:57 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/16/2020 4:25 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've advised people not to drill an alloy handlebar in order to route
their brake cablesÂ* and/or derailleur cables inside the handlebar. I
looked on the web for images of broken alloy dropbars that have failed
because of being drilled but can't find any. I KNOW I had such images
on my other computer that dies. Can anyone here give me links to such
images of broken drilled alloy dropbars?

Cheers

Broken handlebars are well documented:
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

But although the principle of a hole in a dynamically stressed tube is
clear, I could not find an image. I have seen home-drilled bars
propagate cracks but not actually fail. That may be a function of low
mileage on specialty bicycles.

Apparently it's not uncommon to drill holes in motorcycle handlebars,
and there's even a tool for that
https://www.kiwavmotors.com/en/tools-accessories/controls/kiwav-motorcycle-handlebar-drill-guide-detail.
Probably you wouldn't want to do this on an aluminum alloy handlebar
though. As you stated, the principle is clear. People do dumb things all
the time and get away with it, but it still doesn't make doing these
things a good idea.

As Jobst Brandt once said, "I don't know many riders who believe that
drilling a hole in a frame tube is a reasonable concept." The same
applies for drilling holes in handlebars.

Old January 16th 20, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 2:54:47 PM UTC, sms wrote:

As Jobst Brandt once said, "I don't know many riders who believe that
drilling a hole in a frame tube is a reasonable concept." The same
applies for drilling holes in handlebars.

Jobst came from a different era, when stupidity wasn't rewarded as it is now.

Ande Jute
Curmudgeon
Old January 16th 20, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/16/2020 8:54 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

Motorcyclists may but ought not. It's both stupid and
illegal see typical WI statute 347.486:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...es/347/III/485

Old January 16th 20, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/16/2020 10:31 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/16/2020 8:54 AM, sms wrote:
On 1/16/2020 5:57 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/16/2020 4:25 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've advised people not to drill an alloy handlebar in
order to route their brake cablesĂ‚Â* and/or derailleur
[...]

Are you referring to the prohibition against "improvised" handlebars?
I'm not sure that would specifically prohibit a hole.

I know one guy - a professional bike mechanic - who snapped the
handlebar on his 1980s aero bicycle (small front wheel, disc rear,
extremely low bars, etc.) He was sprinting away from a stop and the bar
snapped at the hole for the "aero" brake cable.

But I think the forces on motorcycle handlebars are much lower than
those on bicycles. It's not that I recommend drilling MC handlebars; but
I think the risk would of fracture would be far lower than for a bicycle.

Someone sells a tool for it.
https://www.amazon.com/KiWAV-Motorcy.../dp/B00EH2M40G

--
- Frank Krygowski

Images [email protected] Techniques 3 December 25th 17 04:28 PM
Brake Body Shifter on MTB Dropbar OCnversion Sir Ridesalot Techniques 5 June 29th 16 04:06 PM
1980s MIELE MYB Dropbar Conversion Sir Ridesalot Techniques 12 November 7th 15 10:35 PM
dropbar sleeve installation Keiron Techniques 3 August 29th 06 08:36 PM
Searching for aero-levers for dropbar postie bike Joel Mayes Australia 29 September 14th 05 03:02 PM