Tributes to 'teacher, mentor and grandfather' as 85-year-old cyclistdies 11 days after crash

Old July 4th 20, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Tributes to 'teacher, mentor and grandfather' as 85-year-old cyclistdies 11 days after crash

Killed by another drugged up driver.
QUOTE:
Tributes have been paid to an 85-year-old cyclist who died 11 days after being involved in a crash in the Black Country.

Grandfather Brian Humphreys suffered a serious head injury in the collision with a white Mercedes Sprinter van in Temple Bar, Willenhall, on June 15.

He was taken to hospital but died on June 26.

The 32-year-old driver of the van was arrested at the time on suspicion of driving a motor vehicle while unfit through drugs. He was released pending investigation and will now be further interviewed, West Midlands Police said.

Mr Humphreys' family today paid tribute to a man they described as more than just a friend or family member.

In a statement they said: "A dedicated husband, father, grandfather and friend to many; Brian is loved by so many for his enthusiastic approach to life. Age was always just a number.

"Nothing ever fell short of perfection, his dedication to hard work and high standards made him not just a friend or a father figure in the lives of those around him; but a teacher, mentor, and guide through life’s many turns.

"Brian’s life was filled with good times surrounded by the people he loves most, exploring the world, laughing and dancing up until the day he was cruelly taken from us.

"Our memories will be treasured, but a huge part of our lives will now be forever missing."

Detectives are now reappealing for anyone with information or dash-cam footage to get in contact with them.

The crash happened at around 10.20am.

Detective Sergeant Paul Hughes, from the serious collision investigation unit, said: "To lose a loved one is heart-breaking and we’ll do all we can to help and support Mr Humphreys’ family as they grieve.

"As officers we can never truly heal their pain and anguish; but we can seek to get answers as to what happened that morning.

"We need anyone with information to come forward.

"You may not have realised the severity at the time and we all owe it to the family to find out how the collision occurred."

Anyone with information is asked to contact police online, by calling 101 or emailing quoting log 1267 of June 15.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/...s-after-crash/