The case for cycle lanes

Old April 25th 18, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default The case for cycle lanes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNNIB_PdaA

Old April 26th 18, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 26/04/18 02:43, Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNNIB_PdaA

Maybe there is a case for well-designed bike lanes which actually lead
somewhere and connect to things but in practice this will happen very
slowly.
I am not sure how he rides bikes, but sure there are many inconsiderate
bicyclists. Just like there are many inconsiderate [insert flavour of
the month here].
In general I find roads and motorised traffic not much of a problem. But
then I do crazy things like being visible and predictable, signalling
intentions, stopping for red lights and pedestrians, giving way when
required, riding with the traffic and not against it, and other such
stupid things. Then drivers also do stupid things like give way to me,
give me room, give me a cheery wave (no doubt like they are humouring a
lunatic) and so forth.

Old April 26th 18, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:44:05 AM UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:
[...]

Not all cyclists are as confident as you and I.

I have been a cycle commuter for 30 years and have no problem allowing motorists to share our roads but I would still rather have segregated cycle ways.

Old April 27th 18, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 27/04/18 05:31, Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

Fair enough.
I am just pointing out that it will not happen overnight.

Old April 28th 18, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 11:40:59 AM UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:
[...]

It's all about attitude.

Why does this work in Germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRoG2HrYx8k

But we are told it would be suicide for UK cyclists.

Old April 28th 18, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 28/04/18 11:38, Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

Ahh yes that brings back memories ...
In Germany something like 12 percent of urban travel is made by bicycle.
In the UK I believe it is less than 2 percent.
Safety in numbers? German respect for law and order? It certainly was
very pleasant and practical using a bicycle in Germany.
Old April 28th 18, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 28/04/18 00:38, Simon Jester wrote:

Why does this work in Germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRoG2HrYx8k

But we are told it would be suicide for UK cyclists.

There is a culture in the rest of Europe and USA completely missing in
Britain. To give way when turning. British authorities don't help to do
anything to change this when they have been setting vehicle/pedestrian
phases on traffic lights incorrectly and painting give way lines on
residential roads in the wrong place for several decades.

Also, in other places, if a collision between motor and cycle takes
place in a cycle lane, the driver is bound to be at fault. Here the only
point of a cycle lane is to allow a bureaucrat to go home with a warm
fuzzy feeling after ticking a "sustainable transport" box.
Old April 28th 18, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 10:13:58 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 28/04/18 00:38, Simon Jester wrote:

Why does this work in Germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRoG2HrYx8k

But we are told it would be suicide for UK cyclists.

There is a culture in the rest of Europe and USA completely missing in
Britain. To give way when turning. British authorities don't help to do
anything to change this when they have been setting vehicle/pedestrian
phases on traffic lights incorrectly and painting give way lines on
residential roads in the wrong place for several decades.

Also, in other places, if a collision between motor and cycle takes
place in a cycle lane, the driver is bound to be at fault. Here the only
point of a cycle lane is to allow a bureaucrat to go home with a warm
fuzzy feeling after ticking a "sustainable transport" box.

Watching that video again it is all about mutual respect rather than them and us. They were all road users, the mode of transport did not matter. Notice at 1:27 where the cyclist waves at the motorist to say go ahead even though we have priority.

We need to change social attitudes towards cycling in this country. Lycra Warriors and Mr Pounders not not help.

Old April 28th 18, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

On 28/04/2018 00:38, Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

40 years and I would *much* rather proper cycle lanes. And by proper I
don't mean paint lines on existing roads.

Fair enough.
I am just pointing out that it will not happen overnight.

It's all about attitude.

Why does this work in Germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRoG2HrYx8k

It works because it was designed in, when the roundabout was built or
the junction was completely overhauled.

But we are told it would be suicide for UK cyclists.

Because we would try to bolt a solution on to an existing car-oriented road.

In Sheffield we're having every inch of road dug up and resurfaced. To
the best of my knowledge there won't be any change in provision for
cyclists. Or EVs, or indeed road flow-deign for that matter. In a city
that's gridlocked every rush hour.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old April 28th 18, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

[...]

Who said it works?

"Working" is a concept which includes the outcomes for all users.

cycle lanes Tony Dragon UK 0 October 3rd 10 09:27 AM
The mysterious case of the missing bike lanes/paths N8N Techniques 0 September 15th 09 08:46 PM
To Those who Don't Want Cycle Lanes Nuxx Bar UK 13 February 11th 09 12:32 AM
The case for physically separated bike lanes Matt O'Toole General 171 April 18th 07 10:27 PM
What airline bike case to buy? (Trico Iron Case or XPORT Cargo Case?) Robert Hayden General 2 July 14th 06 04:26 PM