0.6w tail light for dynamo set, where to buy?

Old March 5th 05, 06:39 PM
maxo

Default 0.6w tail light for dynamo set, where to buy?

I have a LED light on the bike and a dynamo set up front, but I wanted to
add a little generator driven light to the left seat stay. You can get one
easily enough in Europe, but I'm in the states. Any ideas?

It's for the standard Basta dynamo, btw:
http://photos5.flickr.com/5937872_033e4e7eea_o.jpg

I know battery lights are good and all, but I just like the idea of
another human powered light. I like the sound of the dynamo--it's
nostalgic. Only gets used for short trips, so never gets annoying. :P
Old March 5th 05, 08:12 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:39:08 GMT, maxo wrote in
message :

I have a LED light on the bike and a dynamo set up front, but I wanted to
add a little generator driven light to the left seat stay. You can get one
easily enough in Europe, but I'm in the states. Any ideas?

I recommend you get an LED one rather than 0.6W incandescent. They
are brighter per unit power. I don't know of one for the seatstay,
the one I use on most of my bikes is the Busch & Muller 4D Toplight,
dynamo powered with battery backup. I'm guessing that most of the
European online resellers (e.g. wiggle.co.uk) will ship to the USA
and there is always Harris Cyclery, who seem to have most things.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old March 5th 05, 08:42 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:
I have a LED light on the bike and a dynamo set up front, but I wanted to
add a little generator driven light to the left seat stay. You can get one
easily enough in Europe, but I'm in the states. Any ideas?

It's for the standard Basta dynamo, btw:
http://photos5.flickr.com/5937872_033e4e7eea_o.jpg

I know battery lights are good and all, but I just like the idea of
another human powered light. I like the sound of the dynamo--it's
nostalgic. Only gets used for short trips, so never gets annoying. :P

I believe Peter White Cycles has some offerings:
http://peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm

There's one (Schmidt?) unit in there that can be powered
either by generator or by dry cells.

Another, cheaper option might be to look at some of those
'toy' generator light sets at such sources as Wal*Mart.
Look for a set that comes with a taillight (I think most
of them do.)

The community-oriented bike shop down the street from me
has a box full of old used ones; customers can root through
the box, pick the one or two they like, and would probably
pay around $2 for each.

The Tung Lin[tm] bottle generator setup I recently got came
with a taillight with the chainstay clamp, but I mounted it
on my rear fender instead, where it's somewhat higher up than
on the chainstay, and it doesn't have my rear rack strut
partially obscuring it.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 5th 05, 09:34 PM
maxo

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:42:08 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

The community-oriented bike shop down the street from me
has a box full of old used ones; customers can root through
the box, pick the one or two they like, and would probably
pay around $2 for each.

Yeah, if I was in Chicago, I'd head up to Urban Bikes on North Sheridan
and grab an old bullet light.

I've found the standard Union tail light online for a tenner, that might
be the ticket--though I was hoping for something pointier.

Old March 5th 05, 09:38 PM
maxo

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 19:12:50 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

I recommend you get an LED one rather than 0.6W incandescent.

I've already got a two led unit back there, just wanted a second light for
kicks really. I thought there might be somebody supplying the vintage bike
rebuilders or something.

This bike's night riding basically consists of a six block beer run with
no traffic so high zoot lighting's not necessary. LOL

The fancy dynamo with led stand light, etc sure are nifty though. I'm
still thinking of getting a Novara Fusion and it comes with such a setup.

Old March 5th 05, 11:21 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:
On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:42:08 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

The community-oriented bike shop down the street from me
has a box full of old used ones; customers can root through
the box, pick the one or two they like, and would probably
pay around $2 for each.

Yeah, if I was in Chicago, I'd head up to Urban Bikes on North Sheridan
and grab an old bullet light.

I've found the standard Union tail light online for a tenner, that might
be the ticket--though I was hoping for something pointier.

The cheap sets I've seen come with those pointy things.

Heh. I was just remembering when some cars had blue taillights.

Anyhow, I think I saw that LED thing Guy was talking about, in
the Peter White site.

In my previous post when I said 'chainstay' I meant 'seatstay'.

I rather like having the taillight on the fender.

cheers,
Tom

Old March 6th 05, 05:38 PM

maxo wrote:
I have a LED light on the bike and a dynamo set up front, but I

wanted to
add a little generator driven light to the left seat stay. You can

get one
easily enough in Europe, but I'm in the states. Any ideas?

If it were me, I'd go into the oldest bike shops in the area and ask.

Old March 6th 05, 06:50 PM
Mike Kruger

wrote in message
ups.com...

maxo wrote:
I have a LED light on the bike and a dynamo set up front,

but I
wanted to
add a little generator driven light to the left seat stay.

You can
get one
easily enough in Europe, but I'm in the states. Any ideas?

If it were me, I'd go into the oldest bike shops in the area

and ask.

I have one of these in my heap of possibly useful bike parts.
It's off an old Schwinn-approved set and works. No generator,
just the light. I took it off because instead of 2.4 front and
0.6 rear, I preferred 3.0 front and a standard blinkie in the
rear.

If the O.P. emails me at mikekr at aol dot com and agrees to
pay postage, it's his/hers.

--
Mike Kruger
In a survey taken several years ago, all incoming freshman at

Old March 13th 05, 12:17 AM
maxo

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 11:50:17 -0600, Mike Kruger wrote:

I have one of these in my heap of possibly useful bike parts.
It's off an old Schwinn-approved set and works. No generator,
just the light. I took it off because instead of 2.4 front and
0.6 rear, I preferred 3.0 front and a standard blinkie in the
rear.

If the O.P. emails me at mikekr at aol dot com and agrees to
pay postage, it's his/hers.

It's mounted and I'll pull the wire and ziptie it tonight. I mounted it
to the fender stays using a clamp sandwich made from some scrap sheet
metal. Quick, solid, and easy.

Thanks Mike!

One more thing. Should I wait to get a 2.4w bulb for the front before I
run the taillight, or will the front/rear simply be dimmer with a 3w up
front?

A quick pictu

http://photos3.flickr.com/6393158_224c3b7cfd_o.jpg
Old March 13th 05, 08:29 AM
maxo

I wrote:

http://photos3.flickr.com/6393158_224c3b7cfd_o.jpg

Thanks Mike!

One more thing. Should I wait to get a 2.4w bulb for the front before I
run the taillight, or will the front/rear simply be dimmer with a 3w up
front?
jpg

Wired it up and went for a pizza/beer run. Worked fantastic.

It's now upped my "lightweight" singlespeed to 25 lbs from 24.xx. :P

Brooks saddle, fenders, full lighting system, bell, too many spokes... err
it's all about rolling resistance and friction--that's the new mantra.
Weight? eh?

LOL

I love the new light~it's actually very lightweight and more importantly,
very large, shiny, and classy. I must have some crow in the family as I'm
drawn to its shine...

Brief note: modification to create super-bright tail light [email protected] Techniques 11 January 25th 05 03:06 AM
Fun fun fun Jon Senior UK 140 May 4th 04 05:14 PM
rear lights Dmitri Colebatch Australia 11 March 11th 04 01:03 AM
Tail Light and Seat Pack John Hearns UK 3 September 25th 03 07:57 PM
Daylight Bright Bicycle Tail Light Laurence Dodd Australia 0 September 17th 03 04:36 AM