Preserving Sheldon's legacy

Old August 29th 11, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Preserving Sheldon's legacy

I'm reading Sheldon on wheelbuilding and finding quite a few
interjections by John Allen. These are of little interest to me, not
quite irrelevant but irritating all the same. Allen simply doesn't
have Sheldon's innate sensibility, the judgement to know when enough
information is enough.

I most sincerely hope there is a place where Sheldon's legacy is
preserved pure and intact, without accretions by others. Does anyone
know if such a thing exists?

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html
Old August 30th 11, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Andre Jute:

I most sincerely hope there is a place where Sheldon's legacy is
preserved pure and intact, without accretions by others. Does anyone
know if such a thing exists?

Don't know the answer, but it would seem technologically
feasible.

Last tool for that I played around with was called "Site
Snagger".
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 30th 11, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per Andre Jute:

I most sincerely hope there is a place where Sheldon's legacy is
preserved pure and intact, without accretions by others. Does anyone
know if such a thing exists?

Don't know the answer, but it would seem technologically
feasible.

Last tool for that I played around with was called "Site
Snagger".

There are loads of such tools.

wget (linux/cygwin) being one. httrack being another for Linux and
WinHttrack for Windows.

enjoy
Old August 30th 11, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 30/08/2011 10:34 AM, Simon Lewis wrote:
writes:

Per Andre Jute:

I most sincerely hope there is a place where Sheldon's legacy is
preserved pure and intact, without accretions by others. Does anyone
know if such a thing exists?

Don't know the answer, but it would seem technologically
feasible.

Last tool for that I played around with was called "Site
Snagger".

There are loads of such tools.

wget (linux/cygwin) being one. httrack being another for Linux and
WinHttrack for Windows.

I think Andre is asking for a time machine, to get a copy before
Sheldon's work was tampered with by others.

I'd suggest;

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/htt...heelbuild.html

--
JS

Old August 30th 11, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

James writes:

On 30/08/2011 10:34 AM, Simon Lewis wrote:
writes:

Per Andre Jute:

I most sincerely hope there is a place where Sheldon's legacy is
preserved pure and intact, without accretions by others. Does anyone
know if such a thing exists?

Don't know the answer, but it would seem technologically
feasible.

Last tool for that I played around with was called "Site
Snagger".

There are loads of such tools.

wget (linux/cygwin) being one. httrack being another for Linux and
WinHttrack for Windows.

I think Andre is asking for a time machine, to get a copy before Sheldon's work
was tampered with by others.

I'd suggest;

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/htt...heelbuild.html

And then use those tools to get your own copy.
Old August 30th 11, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 10:47:14 +1000, James
wrote:

On 30/08/2011 10:34 AM, Simon Lewis wrote:
writes:

Per Andre Jute:

I most sincerely hope there is a place where Sheldon's legacy is
preserved pure and intact, without accretions by others. Does anyone
know if such a thing exists?

Don't know the answer, but it would seem technologically
feasible.

Last tool for that I played around with was called "Site
Snagger".

There are loads of such tools.

wget (linux/cygwin) being one. httrack being another for Linux and
WinHttrack for Windows.

I think Andre is asking for a time machine, to get a copy before
Sheldon's work was tampered with by others.

I'd suggest;

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/htt...heelbuild.html

While I never knew Sheldon I had always assumed from reading
sheldonbrown.com that Sheldon himself was the one that originally
included the articles or excerpts from others. No?

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 30th 11, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

wrote:

On 30/08/2011 10:34 AM, Simon Lewis wrote:
*writes:

Per Andre Jute:

I most sincerely hope there is a place where Sheldon's legacy is
preserved pure and intact, without accretions by others. Does anyone
know if such a thing exists?

Don't know the answer, but it would seem technologically
feasible.

Last tool for that I played around with was called "Site
Snagger".

There are loads of such tools.

wget (linux/cygwin) being one. httrack being another for Linux and
WinHttrack for Windows.

I think Andre is asking for a time machine, to get a copy before
Sheldon's work was tampered with by others.

I'd suggest;

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/htt...heelbuild.html

While I never knew Sheldon I had always assumed from reading
sheldonbrown.com that Sheldon himself was the one that originally
included the articles or excerpts from others. No?

Sheldon was alway knowledgeable, articulate and very informative, but
also had little difficulty in acknowledging that were sometimes
diverging points of view on some subjects.

DR
Old August 30th 11, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/30/2011 6:23 AM, DirtRoadie wrote:

Sheldon was alway knowledgeable, articulate and very informative, but
also had little difficulty in acknowledging that were sometimes
diverging points of view on some subjects.

That was Sheldon's gift, he could explain why someone was doing
something that was not the best thing to do (aka doing something really
dumb), without getting the person defensive and upset. I recall his page
on chain cleaning and lubrication, where his advice is still spot-on,
and he gently explains why waxing is a bad idea (without being quite as
direct as some of us might be).

Is there actually a problem with whoever took over maintenance of his
site making changes that are a problem? His legacy appears to be being
preserved. Most of the information there is still relevant, though some
has become a bit outdated. I.e., while the Harris Cyclery section
features many new LED lights for dynamos, Sheldon is concerned with how
to prevent halogen bulb burnout. It would not hurt for someone to add a
section on LED headlights, but there are plenty of other places to find
this information so it's not really necessary.

Personally I was very worried that some problem people would gain
control of his site and change it to suit their own agenda. I thought of
those people when I read his statement on the site regarding the eagle
on his helmet http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html. I know there are
people that not only despise Bell, but didn't like the fact that an icon
like Sheldon did not buy into their junk science.

Old August 30th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Aug 29, 1:12 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
I'm reading Sheldon on wheelbuilding and finding quite a few
interjections by John Allen. These are of little interest to me, not
quite irrelevant but irritating all the same. Allen simply doesn't
have Sheldon's innate sensibility, the judgement to know when enough
information is enough.

I most sincerely hope there is a place where Sheldon's legacy is
preserved pure and intact, without accretions by others. Does anyone
know if such a thing exists?

I haven't been keeping an eye on it, but as one who appreciates the
realization of the promise of the internet, it would be a shameful
crime against nature for anyone to mess with what Sheldon gave the
world.
Old August 30th 11, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sms88

On 8/30/2011 9:30 AM, SMS wrote:

Is there actually a problem with whoever took over maintenance of his
site making changes that are a problem?

Actually now I do see those annoying modifications. Who is John Allen
anyway? Clearly he lacks the encyclopedic knowledge of Sheldon.

The unmodified pages are on the Wayback machine.
http://web.archive.org/web/20100527024513/http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
and it works pretty well as even the links go to archived pages on the
Wayback machine.

I took the liberty of creating the URL
http://tinyurl.com/SheldonBrownArchive that goes to the archived site.

Kunich's Legacy Magilla Gorilla[_2_] Racing 2 August 20th 10 12:00 PM
Lance and The Legacy DA74 Racing 0 September 13th 06 03:48 AM
Floyd's legacy Froid Landis Racing 0 August 5th 06 06:23 AM
preserving SIDI's Callistus Valerius Techniques 12 May 9th 05 07:52 PM
Leaving a legacy Andrew Price General 4 January 4th 04 07:21 PM