Commuter challenge for ****** cyclists.

Old August 31st 11, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Default Commuter challenge for ****** cyclists.

Judith wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:24 +0100 (BST), lid (Paul
Cummins) wrote:

We were about to embark at Dover, when
(Judith)
came up to me and whispered:

Oh - can't you cycle that distance?

Each way, at an average speed of 15mph, the journey there and back would
take 12 hours. So yes, while I could cycle it, it is not reasonable to do
so.

Thanks - you have of course proved that cycling is not a viable form of
transport.

Strawman (reference available ;-)

BugBear
Old August 31st 11, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:55:49 +0100, Bertie Wooster wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:29:26 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 30/08/2011 08:45, Bertie Wooster wrote:

lid (Paul Cummins) wrote:
(Dave - Cyclists VOR):

Victory Pier, Pier Road, Gillingham, Kent, ME7 1AF
McDonald's, Anthony's Way, Rochester, ME2 4DW

A distance of 2.4 miles.
2.5 miles...

Gillingham ME7 1AF UK
1. Head east on Pier Rd/A289 0.2 mi
2. At the roundabout, take the 4th exit and stay on Pier Rd/A289
Continue to follow A289 2.2 mi
3. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Anthony's Way 0.1 mi
4. Turn left onto Terance Butler Ave 187 ft
5. Take the 1st left 174 ft
Rochester ME2 4DW UK

Next:
Royal Victoria& Bull Hotel, High Street, Rochester ME1 1PX
Co Op, Watling Street, Rochester ME2 3QL

Whch you claim is

Distance again 2.4 miles. Cycle lanes all the way.

But is actually 1.5 miles even using teh cycle paths.

Rochester ME1 1PX UK
1. Head northwest on High St toward Corporation St/A2 128 ft
2. Turn left onto High St/A2 Continue to follow A2 0.5 mi
3. Turn right onto Commercial Rd/A2 236 ft
4. Turn left to stay on Commercial Rd/A2 Continue to follow A2 Destination will be on the right 0.9 mi
Rochester ME2 3QL UK

I'm not seeing any issue with either route - pay my trian fare to Strood
and I'll try both routes and report back neutrally to the group.

That sounds very reasonable to me. The Medway Bottler has a long and
inglorious history of unfairness. I am sure that he'd welcome a
independent evaluation of the routes - e.g. no roads blocked to
motorists or cyclists;

And no little pedestrian or other short-cuts toi be used by cyclists?

Indeed.

no steep downhill or uphill legs giving unfair
advantage to cyclists or motorists, etc.

What, you mean pretend that an area with a bit of topographical undulation is
as flat as a lake? Why so afraid of reality? That reality is part of the
reason why the majority make the choices they make.

Have a little faith in yourself...

You have a very valid point. The challenge should be in both
directions to reflect reality - after all a commute is two-ways.

However, to make it even
easier for Meds, I agree to pay half your travel costs on the sole
condition that the Bottler himself pays the other half.

That's very fair and generous. Why not take the challenge yourself? I might
be prepared to invigilate (paying my own expenses, of course).

OK.

I accept the first challenge. I'll drive the car.

I accept the second challenge:

I will cycle from ME2 3QL to ME1 1PX then tranfer to a car and drive
from ME1 1PX to ME2 3QL if Meds is prepared to take the challenge by
car from ME2 3QL to ME1 1PX then by bike from ME1 1PX to ME2 3QL.

I'd still be prepared to wager that Meds will bottle.

Good wriggle - insist that someone who is not used to cycling actually cycles
the route. The challenge is between the motor vehicle and the cyclists - over
the same route - genuine commutes, Seems as fair as you could get.

Or is that what you don't like - a fair challenge?

You are already trying to change the challenge; Dave was very clear what it was
- both parties do both routes; which is of course the basis of the challenge
Old August 31st 11, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 30/08/2011 22:13, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:15:06 +0100, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

On 30/08/2011 11:31, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:05:31 +0100,
wrote:

Of course, it's ultimately up to the person laying down the challenge.

Yes, the challenger could bottle - but if I recall correctly, the
correct etiquette for a duel is the challenger allows the opponent to
choose the weapon.

Is that what happens in the 'cycle beats car' challenges?

No it isn't.

Do I smell a bottler?

Stop sniffing yourself Cwispin.

And answer the question "Is that what happens in the 'cycle beats car'
challenges"?

University
Old August 31st 11, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 30/08/2011 22:15, Bertie Wooster wrote:

lid (Paul Cummins) wrote:
[...]

I rather think you just bottled Cwispin.

No. I accepted both challenges.

Just like you did in the previous challenge, where you wanted to take a
train from a medieval castle?

Really!? Do you have a message ID?

Oh dear, you really are wrigging now. You know you did it, I've
reminded you of it a dozen times - and now you are wriggling like a worm.

Do the participants in the 'cycle beats car' challenges You & your bum
chums love so much get to change the rules? I don't think so.

You haven't answered the question again. "Do the participants in the

Old August 31st 11, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 30/08/2011 22:16, Bertie Wooster wrote:

lid (Paul Cummins) wrote:
[...]

Wriggling again Cwispin?

Are the 'cycle beats car' challenges two-way?

No they aren't.

Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle.

No wriggle at all. I have accepted the challenges, and have taken
Nugent's advice to ensure fairness.

You haven't accepted the challenges at all. You've tried to change
them, just like you did last time.

Remember? When you tried to introduce trains into a car v cycle challenge?

Do the participants in the car v cycle challenges promoted by cyclists
get to change all the rules? No they don't.

There's a worm at the bottom of the garden
And his name is Wriggly Woo
There's a worm at the bottom of the garden
And all that he can do
Is wriggle all night
And wriggle all day
Whatever else the people do say

Old August 31st 11, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 30/08/2011 22:17, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:13:49 +0100, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

I'm not seeing any issue with either route - pay my trian fare to Strood
and I'll try both routes and report back neutrally to the group.

That sounds very reasonable to me. The Medway Bottler has a long and
inglorious history of unfairness. I am sure that he'd welcome a
independent evaluation of the routes - e.g. no roads blocked to
motorists or cyclists; no steep downhill or uphill legs giving unfair
advantage to cyclists or motorists, etc. However, to make it even
easier for Meds, I agree to pay half your travel costs on the sole
condition that the Bottler himself pays the other half.

Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle.

Bottle, bottle, bottle.

Is that the best you can do tosser?

Unable to change the conditions to suit yourself you wriggle like a
little worm.