Looking for good rain gloves (25 - 40 degrees F)

Old February 14th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

Default Looking for good rain gloves (25 - 40 degrees F)

I am looking for good gloves for riding in the rain. Temp range is from 25
degrees F to as warm as 40 degrees F.

I am currently using these
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...er_gloves.html , but I must say
they are disappointing. I bought them because I generally like OR products.
But these gloves are not very warm, and they are definitely not waterproof.
And pricey, to boot.

I need XL, black.

Thanks - J.

Old February 14th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

I am currently using thesehttp://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/w_s_gripper_gloves.html, but I must say
they are disappointing. I bought them because I generally like OR products..
But these gloves are not very warm, and they are definitely not waterproof..
And pricey, to boot.

I need XL, black.

I got some Pearl Izumi Amphibs on sale that I like. They are a little
bulky but comfortable. -- Jay Beattie.
Old February 14th 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

On Feb 13, 7:36*pm, "Jay" wrote:
I am looking for good gloves for riding in the rain.

Jay,
I like these shells, worn over gloves or mittens, from REI
http://www.rei.com/product/739825

Best,
Larry
Old February 14th 08, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
LF wrote:

On Feb 13, 7:36*pm, "Jay" wrote:
I am looking for good gloves for riding in the rain.

Jay,
I like these shells, worn over gloves or mittens, from REI
http://www.rei.com/product/739825

Best,
Larry

You don't need rain gloves below 32 F. :P

Locally (Vancouver) after years of struggling, I bought some neoprene
cycling/paddling gloves. That's what MEC calls them, having created them
as paddling gloves, and adding a reflective patch to the wrist when
cyclists kept buying them.

They're just neoprene five-fingered gloves. They tend to trap sweat, and
they tend to smell funny (though they're easy to clean).

And they're otherwise perfect for cold wet rides. My hands don't really
get wet, and my hands stay warm. Invincibly comfortable, even in wet
three-hour rides in the middle of winter.

There is probably some Arctic-storm-oriented lobster mitten that is even
better in cold conditions, but these have reasonable control feel and
are good enough for my needs.

They come out around the start of cyclocross season, and go away
sometime in May. And only on the warmest, driest days of winter do I
consider any other glove.

Old February 14th 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 14, 1:36*am, "Jay" wrote:
I am looking for good gloves for riding in the rain. Temp range is from 25
degrees F to as warm as 40 degrees F.

I am currently using thesehttp://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/w_s_gripper_gloves.html, but I must say
they are disappointing. I bought them because I generally like OR products..
But these gloves are not very warm, and they are definitely not waterproof..
And pricey, to boot.

I need XL, black.

Thanks - J.

I've used neoprene fishing gloves. Your hands get wet from sweat, but
they are 100% windproof and very warm. Black too. Mine had a nice high
cuff and were super cheap.

Joseph
Old February 14th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cmcanulty

I also use neoprene gloves found on a shoulder of road one day. They
are also great for rinsing cycling clothes with ice cold campground
water.

Old February 14th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Feb 13, 7:36*pm, "Jay" wrote:
I am looking for good gloves for riding in the rain. Temp range is from 25
degrees F to as warm as 40 degrees F.

I am currently using thesehttp://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/w_s_gripper_gloves.html, but I must say
they are disappointing. I bought them because I generally like OR products..
But these gloves are not very warm, and they are definitely not waterproof..
And pricey, to boot.

I need XL, black.

Thanks - J.

campmor.com sells ski gloves cheaply about now.
try polyester glove liners
Old February 14th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Squat'n Dive

On Feb 13, 4:36 pm, "Jay" wrote:
I am looking for good gloves for riding in the rain. Temp range is from 25
degrees F to as warm as 40 degrees F.

I am currently using thesehttp://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/w_s_gripper_gloves.html, but I must say
they are disappointing. I bought them because I generally like OR products.
But these gloves are not very warm, and they are definitely not waterproof.
And pricey, to boot.

I need XL, black.

$60 plus sales tax buys you Goretex skiing gloves.
Beats any "winter" bicycling gloves.
Works well below 60F and higher than that if you are off a bicycle.
Old February 14th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
amakyonin

I try to stay out of cold rain because it is the least enjoyable for
me. I don't mind cold and I don't mind rain but the two together make
for a lot of misery.

Regular winter gloves can be problematic because they generally have
too many seams and will leak. Even if they started out as waterproof
the barrier will break down with use. This is a particular problem
with goretex which doesn't bond all that well to the fabric. What I
like to use is a pair of thin fleece gloves as liners. Then I add some
large rubber gloves like those used for dishwashing or handling
chemicals. This gives an unbeatable waterproof layer. This combination
works OK in the 40's. For colder temperatures I would add some
overmitts like the Nashbar lobster claw style for additional wind
protection. Even more warmth can be found with the chemical hand
warmers if that isn't enough.
Old February 15th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

LF wrote:
On Feb 13, 7:36 pm, "Jay" wrote:
I am looking for good gloves for riding in the rain.

Jay,
I like these shells, worn over gloves or mittens, from REI
http://www.rei.com/product/739825

Best,
Larry

I use another REI product. These are overmitts- no insulation.

http://www.rei.com/product/725077

I bought them to use as a windproof shell over some insulated mittens. I
used them at 25°F. The worked wonderfully. Yesterday, when we had
torrential rain in the Northeast, I used them while shoveling and
clearing storm drains. My hands stayed warm & dry.

Buy them big to go over other mittens.

BC
übermitt

Are the new KH gloves any good? pete66 Unicycling 23 February 27th 08 11:54 PM
Good silnylon rain cape? [email protected] Techniques 15 November 2nd 07 03:02 AM
Good rain cape and hat? [email protected] Techniques 9 June 21st 06 10:20 PM
Good uni gloves JackOlsen Unicycling 9 November 20th 05 10:48 AM
Good gloves? chris General 17 July 4th 05 12:17 AM