Seen today

Old January 27th 07, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Default Seen today

Waiting in the barbers to get my hair cut this morning when I spy a
Sterling House special offer. Two bikes for £79.99. One of the special
features highlighted in bold text was steel rims!!!

Ye gads why do they do it?

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old January 27th 07, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Eilbeck

Tony Raven writes:

Waiting in the barbers to get my hair cut this morning when I spy a
Sterling House special offer. Two bikes for £79.99. One of the
special features highlighted in bold text was steel rims!!!

Ye gads why do they do it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%2...n_every_minute

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old January 27th 07, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Holmes

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Waiting in the barbers to get my hair cut this morning when I spy a
Sterling House special offer. Two bikes for £79.99. One of the special
features highlighted in bold text was steel rims!!!

Ye gads why do they do it?

Do what?

Sell them cheaply, or fit steel rims?

Alan

Old January 27th 07, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Zog The Undeniable

Tony Raven wrote:
Waiting in the barbers to get my hair cut this morning when I spy a
Sterling House special offer. Two bikes for £79.99. One of the special
features highlighted in bold text was steel rims!!!

Ye gads why do they do it?

Because people buy them. Actually, I'm surprised BS6102 didn't exclude
steel rims on safety grounds. They are marginally better with leather
brake blocks, but still not safe.
Old January 28th 07, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
squeaker

On 27 Jan, 21:30, Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:
Waiting in the barbers to get my hair cut this morning when I spy a
Sterling House special offer. Two bikes for £79.99. One of the special
features highlighted in bold text was steel rims!!!

Ye gads why do they do it?Because people buy them. Actually, I'm surprised BS6102 didn't exclude

steel rims on safety grounds. They are marginally better with leather
brake blocks, but still not safe.

Oh dear, I've been unsafe for the last 30 years then! (My Carlton
Corsa is currently running its second steel rim. With the right pads
the brakes work OK in the wet.)

Old January 28th 07, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:30:10 +0000, Zog The Undeniable wrote:

Actually, I'm surprised BS6102 didn't exclude steel rims on safety
grounds.

Because, thank goodness, BS6102 specifies actual performance, not the
means of achieving it. It's the latter that has led to LEDs being
illegal for so long as bike lights.

Mike
Old January 28th 07, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:20:02 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

Waiting in the barbers to get my hair cut this morning when I spy a
Sterling House special offer. Two bikes for £79.99. One of the special
features highlighted in bold text was steel rims!!!

Be thankful that the copy-writers are too ignorant to know that steel is
an alloy (of iron). Just imagine if they said "alloy wheels" and provided
steel. It's metalurgically perfectly accurate.

Mike
Old January 28th 07, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M-gineering

Mike Causer wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:20:02 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

Waiting in the barbers to get my hair cut this morning when I spy a
Sterling House special offer. Two bikes for £79.99. One of the special
features highlighted in bold text was steel rims!!!

Be thankful that the copy-writers are too ignorant to know that steel is
an alloy (of iron). Just imagine if they said "alloy wheels" and provided
steel. It's metalurgically perfectly accurate.

I don't think it matters much, like copywriters most customers for these
bikes will be hard put to discern steel from aluminium! I've seen an add
for a bike with an aluminium chain!
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old January 28th 07, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

On 28/01/2007 10:22, squeaker said,

With the right pads
the brakes work OK in the wet.

Oh dear - only "OK in the wet". Make sure you're not behind someone
with ally rims who's brakes will be much better than "OK in the wet".

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Today I have mostly been ... elyob UK 2 September 27th 06 01:42 AM
got my uni today..... sobriquet Unicycling 0 July 6th 06 03:09 AM
Today is the big day! picado Unicycling 3 June 20th 06 06:04 AM
Today I are... Mark UK 0 November 11th 04 02:23 PM
It came by UPS today digigal1 Unicycling 17 April 3rd 04 09:33 AM