Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system

Old August 7th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system

On Aug 6, 6:37*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
SNIP

BTW, the brains of the outfit is in the front derailer.

Brains? In cycling? You're joking right?
BTW for a guy with a name like "Cousineau" you've got a funny way of
spelling "derailleur".

Bike, bike, bike, meow,
ABS
Old August 7th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

wrote in message

BTW for a guy with a name like "Cousineau" you've got a funny way of
spelling "derailleur".

Since the untimely death of Sheldon Brown a number of us have decided to use
Sheldon's American spelling. Sheldon was very respectful of the French but
still believed that words that are moved into the American/English
vocabulary should be spelled by our rules and not those of another language.

So derailleur is now derailer.

Old August 7th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:04:07 -0700, dave a
wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:42:01 -0700 (PDT), hizark21
wrote:

Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...2008/features/
dura_ace_di2_aug08 )

It's interesting concept, but I am waiting to see if either Shimano's
or Campagnolo's electronic rear derailur will withstand a full
immersion test. This may seem a bit extreme, but there is
circumstances where a rider is forced to ride through deep puddles.

Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

No, but I've ridden in rain that wasn't much different.

Oh I didn't realize riding in the rain is almost the same as immersing
the part. Thanks for that info.

Imagine the electronics in a continuous 30 kph blast of water drops.
That is worse than immersion.

--
Michael Press
Old August 7th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

A flooded bike trail. There were carp crossing the trail in front
of me. It was above the bottom bracket and in parts a little
higher. It really was the carp's territory and not mine. But
there wasn't an easy way around, so through it I went.

But your point is valid. If I had an expensive electronic
derailleur I'd have turned around.

Bob Schwartz
Old August 7th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Bret Wade[_2_]

wrote:

Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...2008/features/
dura_ace_di2_aug08 )

It's interesting concept, but I am waiting to see if either Shimano's
or Campagnolo's electronic rear derailur will withstand a full
immersion test. This may seem a bit extreme, but there is
circumstances where a rider is forced to ride through deep puddles.

Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

Does cyclocross count? If so, yes.

Cross Natz in Napa Valley at the Domaine Chandon vineyard. It never
stopped raining the entire time I was there. The Napa river was
overflowing. When we went to pre-ride the course, parts of it were under
deep running water. You would ride into holes you had no way of knowing
were there and endo. They ended up changing the course for the actual races.

Bret
Old August 7th 08, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...2008/features/
dura_ace_di2_aug08 )

It's interesting concept, but I am waiting to see if either Shimano's
or Campagnolo's electronic rear derailur will withstand a full
immersion test. This may seem a bit extreme, but there is
circumstances where a rider is forced to ride through deep puddles.

Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

Luftmensch,

People do that all the time in Socal Masters
Cyclocross:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/cross.php...os/2003/dec03/
celopacdec28/1Mens-40

http://www.pbase.com/image/24922889

Ben
sugar and spice

Old August 7th 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

wrote in message

BTW for a guy with a name like "Cousineau" you've got a funny way of
spelling "derailleur".

You should hear how I pronounce "Cousineau."

Since the untimely death of Sheldon Brown a number of us have decided to use
Sheldon's American spelling. Sheldon was very respectful of the French but
still believed that words that are moved into the American/English
vocabulary should be spelled by our rules and not those of another language.

It was more than that. "derailer" already exists in English as a
perfectly cromulent word. Sheldon's discussion of the subject is
definitive:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

So derailleur is now derailer.

It always was derailer!

Fighting descriptivism one word at a time,

Old August 7th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

A flooded bike trail. There were carp crossing the trail in front
of me. It was above the bottom bracket and in parts a little
higher. It really was the carp's territory and not mine. But
there wasn't an easy way around, so through it I went.

But your point is valid. If I had an expensive electronic
derailleur I'd have turned around.

Well, I suppose you could have shouldered the bike and carried it across. I had to
do that a few years ago up in the Santa Cruz mountains when the side of a mountain
slid down across the road (Eureka Canyon Rd, I believe) a few days earlier. I had to
wash my cleats out in the stream on the other side.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 7th 08, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Davey Crockett[_5_]

hizark21 a écrit profondement:

| Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system
| (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...2008/features/
| dura_ace_di2_aug08 )
|
| It's interesting concept, but I am waiting to see if either Shimano's
| or Campagnolo's electronic rear derailur will withstand a full
| immersion test. This may seem a bit extreme, but there is
| circumstances where a rider is forced to ride through deep puddles.
| Just remember all it takes is once so short out system and you are out
| a bunch of money. This was my main complaint with the Mektronic
| system. The good thing is that Shimano has managed to keep the battery
| to a fairly small size.

Mavic tried it 20+ years ago

Mottet and a few others used it but it wasn't a success

--
Davey Crockett
-

The AssHoles don't even try to hide it anymore and flaunt it in the
Simpering News Outlets.