Removing aluminum screws from Carbon frames

Old March 3rd 20, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Removing aluminum screws from Carbon frames

On Mon, 02 Mar 2020 20:16:19 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Things may be looking up in a few years. My area and my university is
doing a lot with 3-d printing. Maybe soon, you'll just warm up the
toaster-sized metal printer you bought for $30 at Wal-mart, download the
file for the proper adapter and wrench, and print your own stuff at
home. Andrew can help google the right part numbers.

Err, what part of printng will be cheap enough to do that. by rights, all
that printing stuff from the internet should be dead cheap, but it hasn't
been for decades.

I guess I should progress my home foundary plans to be able to extrude my
own wire from scrap.

Old March 4th 20, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/2/2020 8:42 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 20:16:19 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/2/2020 4:12 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 11:59:52 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/2/2020 1:46 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 3/2/2020 9:24 AM, jbeattie wrote:

I'm not seeing anything indicating that the current Trek models like
the Emonda use a "slip fit" bearing. Every video shows them being
pressed-in. On further Googling, Trek has had issues with BB shell
wallowing and thus the availability of OS BB bearings and the use of
gap fillers. My bike has been problem free. There is also talk about
Trek moving to T47 or something like it.

-- Jay Beattie.

Things may have changed since the 2010 Madone service bulletin I quoted.

I have heard that some Domanes from the era of my bike came with bearing
holes/seats/whatever just a tad too big, and that Trek sold very
slightly oversize replacement kits when problems arose. I haven't
needed them.

So maybe in the years since, they've shifted to press fit rather than
slip fit. Frankly, crank options for BB90 are more limited than I would
prefer - and now I own two BB90 bikes - so the possibility of a new form
factor sounds wise to me.

Well, we can always use another new "standard"!

O.K., you win . . . but only this time! IMO, the apex of BB and crank technology was the Shimano Hollowtech and the threaded outboard bearings. Simple install, cheap bearings, minimal tools (which also double as disc rotor lock-ring tools, so no wasted tools). The good news is that my investment in BB30/90 tools is my existing Park headset press and the Park BB30 tool, which was not tremendously expensive. https://tinyurl.com/rrx9frl I kludge PF86. God knows what I'm going to do if the Synapse BB goes belly-up. It is yet another standard, BB30A -- which is more of a crank issue than a bearing issue. It takes standard 6806 bearings.

It must be hard being Wheels Mfg and making all the retrofit, adapter, conversions, etc., etc. All the dueling standards are either a cash-cow or a money pit.

Things may be looking up in a few years. My area and my university is
doing a lot with 3-d printing. Maybe soon, you'll just warm up the
toaster-sized metal printer you bought for $30 at Wal-mart, download the
file for the proper adapter and wrench, and print your own stuff at
home. Andrew can help google the right part numbers.

Never mind the wrenches, I read that plastic guns, capable of firing
conventional ammo can be 3-d printed. see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberator_%28gun%29

I also read that there metal 3-d printers that can be used to print
guns, see
https://3dprint.com/21109/3d-print-metal-gun-reason/

And, if a metal gun can be made than there is no reason that one
cannot print one's very own metal bicycle and if the BB goes bad just
print a new bike :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

The Navy has 3d printers in ship machine shops already and
there is (and will be) a place for them.

That said no one is going to make an engine cam or crank on
a 3d printer any time soon. Nor a traditional loose-ball BB
spindle for that matter. Some things just don't suit that
process, such as in your example more-than-one-use firearm
barrels. The key point is that subtractive machining still
has a place as well.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 4th 20, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Krygowski wrote:
On 3/2/2020 1:46 PM, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

Hmm. If you print a bike in metal instead of CF, does that
count as retro? I've got to know before I get on board.

Only if you print fake Agrati frame ends and Nervex #7 lugs.

Old March 4th 20, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/2/2020 11:05 PM, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 02 Mar 2020 20:16:19 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Things may be looking up in a few years. My area and my university is
doing a lot with 3-d printing. Maybe soon, you'll just warm up the
toaster-sized metal printer you bought for $30 at Wal-mart, download the
file for the proper adapter and wrench, and print your own stuff at
home. Andrew can help google the right part numbers.

Err, what part of printng will be cheap enough to do that. by rights, all
that printing stuff from the internet should be dead cheap, but it hasn't
been for decades.

I guess I should progress my home foundary plans to be able to extrude my
own wire from scrap.

You have it in a nutshell. Mao's 1958 Great Leap Forward
with a few million ridiculously inefficient home iron
smelters turned out useless slag at a huge cost. Much of 3d
printing will follow that well trod path.

Old March 4th 20, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 3, 2020 at 5:39:56 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I pretty much agree. If you look at 3D printed parts, it is plain that they will never get past the look of a melted and smooshed together material.