Green paint alternative?

Old January 26th 20, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Green paint alternative?

Critics of weird bicycle facilities have mocked designers' use of Green
Paint as an attempted cure. You know: A hidden bike lane that pops
bicyclists out in front of surprised motorists? A bike lane that jumps
from the right side of the road to the left side? A bike lane that
encourages riders to turn left from the right curb? Simply apply "Ye
Magicke Grene Paint!" and any crazy facility will be fine!

Ah, but what about at night? It's hard to distinguish the magic color
then, even if you're not color blind.

Here comes a solution!

https://www.boredpanda.com/van-gogh-...n-roosegaarde/

or even better,

https://www.boredpanda.com/glowing-b...cznych-poland/

(OK, these actually look kind of cool.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 26th 20, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 15:23:53 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
(...)
https://www.boredpanda.com/van-gogh-...n-roosegaarde/
https://www.boredpanda.com/glowing-b...cznych-poland/
(OK, these actually look kind of cool.)

More of the same:
https://www.google.com/search?q=glow+in+dark+bicycle+lane&tbm=isch
I'm told that the glow doesn't last long enough to be usable in the
morning.

I wonder if there's a problem with bicycle riders (and pedestrians)
looking down at the hypnotic glowing light show at their feet, and
riding (or walking) into obstacles?

https://www.businessinsider.com/poland-glowing-bike-lane-2016-10
The 330-foot-long lane is divided into two 6-foot-wide
sections - one for cyclists and the other for pedestrians.
It cost the town $31,000 to install.

$94 per linear foot. Ouch. Maybe we go back to using cheaper green
paint?

https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/saferjourney1/library/countermeasures/10.htm
The cost of installing a bike lane is approximately $5,000
to $50,000 per mile...

What would be $0.80/ft to $8.00/ft but I'm not sure that is for the
green paint style bike lane.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 27th 20, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 15:23:53 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Critics of weird bicycle facilities have mocked designers' use of Green
Paint as an attempted cure.

OT, but our local authorites have recently changed its mottto from "The
Green City" to some other nebuous creed. I'ew repeatedl corrected that
mottoe to the "The Green Paint City" to point out this desperate attempt
at green wash.

You know: A hidden bike lane that pops
bicyclists out in front of surprised motorists? A bike lane that jumps
from the right side of the road to the left side? A bike lane that
encourages riders to turn left from the right curb? Simply apply "Ye
Magicke Grene Paint!" and any crazy facility will be fine!

Ours is white, but it the same premises.
we have massive bike lanes, but they are really car parking lanes.

Ah, but what about at night? It's hard to distinguish the magic color
then, even if you're not color blind.

Here comes a solution!

https://www.boredpanda.com/van-gogh-...ike-path-daan-

roosegaarde/

or even better,

https://www.boredpanda.com/glowing-b...nstytut-badan-

technicznych-poland/

(OK, these actually look kind of cool.)

Yes, the blue one would be easier to apply with the basic bicycle "paint'
trailer. In decades past, someone built a bicycle trailer that sprayed
messages in chalk alog the footpath, roadway etc. shoud be adaptable,
unless the paint require heat treatment.

Old January 27th 20, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

wrote:

https://www.boredpanda.com/van-gogh-...n-roosegaarde/

or even better,

https://www.boredpanda.com/glowing-b...cznych-poland/

(OK, these actually look kind of cool.)

Hey, the second one has a sidewalk for pedestrians! That makes it a
bike path.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

(All I've ever seem is recreationways mislabled as bike paths.)

green paint failure AMuzi Techniques 29 August 21st 16 07:07 PM
Mavic MA2 alternative? bfd Techniques 24 October 5th 09 11:04 PM
Cabins near Moab - Green River, UT KOA as an alternative? mike[_10_] Mountain Biking 3 April 4th 09 02:48 PM
Cyclists furious as council paint everything else luminous green Danny Colyer UK 6 December 10th 07 10:16 PM
Dark Green or Bright Green? Bob Dole General 34 March 26th 07 11:52 PM