Better Braking?

Old February 9th 20, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Better Braking?

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 3:56:29 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 2/8/2020 3:14 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Yes, he used to engage in quite aggressive guerilla marketing of those flashlights as bicycle lights as well as the assorted kludged mounts for them.

He still avows that you can't drill a hole for and install a Rivnut without destroying the bike unless you have a fully equipped machine shop.

I ignore most of his stances on everything.

Cheers

Another example of "mine" is better than "yours", except it is verbal
rather than material...

LOL, wow, Sir Ridesalot ignores my stances on everything, but still
reads it voraciously! OTOH he's been in my filter list for years since I
find no value in anything he writes.

The key thing is to lead by example. Don't try to tell people what to
do, explain to them why you made the choices you made. If they are
making bad choices maybe gently explain, with cites, why they might want
to reconsider their position.

I.e., your obsession with drilling holes in your frame may be fine for
you, but it's pretty important that people understand why they shouldn't
grab their power drill and do the same thing. Citing the opinions of
experts, as well as explaining the frame warranty policies of the
bicycle manufacturers, may upset you, but I'm pretty certain that you
understand why people might not want to copy what you do.

Crap, I just drilled and tapped my fork crown for the mood light. Speaking of dynos, a guy at the rack asked me about my light. I told him what it was; he asked about what it costs, and when I told him, he kind of rolled his eyes and rode away with his little all-in-one. I get the feeling that he lives pretty close to my office because he has a fixie with flat bars and rides in civies, so I don't see him much on rainy days. He's perfectly content with his battery light, and I didn't try to convert him, being that I'm not getting a kick-back from Shutter Precision or B&M. I was kind of amazed this guy didn't know about dynos because is bike is a rather unique fixie built around an old Raleigh International frame with hammered metal fenders, leather bar grips and one of those really expensive dinger bells. It's kind of a collector's bike -- the sort of thing that screams out for a mood light.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 9th 20, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 15:56:25 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 2/8/2020 3:14 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Firstly, a fact. Bicycle manufacturers drill holes in bike frames.
Do you believe that there are special tubes made, and used, when a
hole is to be placed in a frame? If you are that ignorant than a
perusal of any tube maker's catalogs will certainly teach you
differently.

As for an expert opinion? I believe that you are quoting Brandt who
rode a bicycle that had holes in the frame, as any photo will show
you.

I have no desire for people to copy what I do, but I do have a great
deal of dislike for those who tell lies simply to attempt to inflate
their, imagined, image as an expert.

IMVAIO, the Zefal Gizmo Clamps, the KLICKFix Bottle Fix, and the Minoura
bottle cage holder, are solutions to the problem that do not have the
downside of weakening the frame or allowing water to get inside the
frame. They look no worse that the various clamps that hold other
accessories, such as computers, onto the bicycle.

Everyone would prefer that their frame has cage bosses from the factory,
be they braze-ons or factory installed Rivnuts. When this is not the
case, the prudent method for adding bottle mounts is to use one of the
many clamps that are available.

Prudent? How so?

You lack the physical dexterity and the knowledge to successfully
drill a hole in a tube? . Or perhaps you lack the tools (a ruler) and
the knowledge to accurately locate the desired holes? Certainly in
that case I would suggest that you don't drill a hole

So yes, it is very possible that you should not drill holes in bicycle
frames as you appear to lack the skill and knowledge to do so
successfully.

You are really a very pitiful person, aren't you.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 9th 20, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/8/2020 4:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

[...]

It won't be an issue on the fork. The way you go through warranty
replacement frames would make wary though, since you never know what
kind of excuse the manufacturer will come up with for denying a claim.
Of course you could sue them at little cost to you, but the rest of us
are not so fortunate.

Be careful about mentioning brand names, you may get accused by Frank of
getting money from SP or B&M. I just deposited those multi-million
dollar checks from companies making battery powered lights so I don't
have to work for a long time.

As I said earlier, I'm pretty certain that my garage holds the most
dynamo wheels in my entire city. My city probably has the largest number
of bicycles with dyno wheels, per capita, of any city in the United
States, thanks to the big fruit company in town and their huge fleet of
lovely Mixte frame bicycles. The one time I rode one, while visiting
"the Spaceship" my host and I got yelled at by security because he
didn't know that guests are not allowed on the company bicycles.

i was at a reception at the Spaceship a couple of months ago and I
suggested that a new product that Apple should launch is an iBike
e-Bike. It's the perfect consumer product for them: high-margin, huge
untapped market, and they could easily source it from a factory in China.
Old February 9th 20, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/8/2020 7:48 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Firstly, a fact. Bicycle manufacturers drill holes in bike frames.
Do you believe that there are special tubes made, and used, when a
hole is to be placed in a frame? If you are that ignorant than a
perusal of any tube maker's catalogs will certainly teach you
differently.

It's pretty clear that you've never visited a bicycle factory and seen
how frame tubes are manufactured and drilled.

snip

You are really a very pitiful person, aren't you.

You'd be better off sticking to factual data than engaging in that sort
of rhetoric. You're reminding us of our U.S. president.
Old February 9th 20, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 2/8/2020 3:14 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Careful, John! You're one step away from joining Sir, me and several
others on Scharf's "filter list." It's what he does with people who
prove he spouts a lot of nonsense.

It's the internet equivalent of covering one's ears and singing "La la
la, I can't hear you!" Very mature!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 9th 20, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 2/8/2020 3:14 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

You and John B act like a 12 year old. Bringing up the drilling holes, one preference about bycycle lights, guerilla marketing again and again. People have opinions, preferences which can change over time, make mistakes, say dumb things etc. Let it rest and respond to the actual post which was quite reasonable IMO.

Lou
Old February 10th 20, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 2/8/2020 3:14 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

What I brought up here was Scharf's bragging about kill files. My post
was accurate.

About dynamo lights: Scharf railed against them and insulted their users
for dozens of years. Ditto StVZO compliant lights. He now brags about
using them. It might be nice of him to apologize, or at least say "OK,
you guys may have been correct."

Based on the lighting issue, I think he'll eventually (10 years?) admit
that Rivnuts are not necessarily tools of the devil. But he'll continue
to insult those who told him so.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 10th 20, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 09:21:42 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 2/8/2020 7:48 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Firstly, a fact. Bicycle manufacturers drill holes in bike frames.
Do you believe that there are special tubes made, and used, when a
hole is to be placed in a frame? If you are that ignorant than a
perusal of any tube maker's catalogs will certainly teach you
differently.

It's pretty clear that you've never visited a bicycle factory and seen
how frame tubes are manufactured and drilled.

No, I have never visited a bicycle factory.

My qualifications include: completion of an apprenticeship as a
journeyman machinist in 1950, graduation from a 2 year engineering
school, more then 10 years experience in managing metal working shops
for the U.S. Air Force. I was also a qualified welder for both TIG
welding on stainless, magnesium, aluminum and titanium, and
conventional stick welding - flat, corner, upright, overhead. etc., as
well as pipe welding for both gas and liquids.

And while I have never visited a bicycle factory I have built complete
bicycles from tubes and fittings.

Oh! By the way, bicycle factories don't manufacture frame tubes, they
buy them from a specialized company and simply cut them to length.

So, yes, I do suggest that I may well be qualified to talk about
drilling holes in tubes.

Care to furnish some details about your qualifications to discuss the
matter?

snip

You are really a very pitiful person, aren't you.

You'd be better off sticking to factual data than engaging in that sort
of rhetoric. You're reminding us of our U.S. president.

Well, yes,. I am guilty of voicing my personal opinion of you so just
lay out your qualifications to discuss drilling holes in bicycle
frames - maybe your vast experience in metal working? Engineering and
stress analysis? Bicycle repairs? Managing a bicycle shop? Common
sense?
--
cheers,

John B.

Regenerative braking Marc[_2_] UK 3 December 24th 09 01:01 PM
Unnerving braking experiences; sudden braking increase. Michael Press Techniques 47 January 31st 07 12:06 AM
braking system strawberry Mountain Biking 11 April 3rd 05 06:54 PM
Braking in corners Doki UK 34 May 6th 04 11:13 AM
Thoughts on braking John Appleby General 76 August 11th 03 10:30 AM