Better Braking?

Old February 13th 20, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Better Braking?

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 10:47:44 PM UTC, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 2:36:58 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:37:39 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 2/12/2020 4:20 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 12:12:24 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

But I can't help but notice that nowhere above is "data" mentioned. I
tend to think in terms of benefits vs. detriments as indicated by real
data. It seems to be a rare and unpopular mode of thought.

Data has never been a common or popular mode of thought.

Sure it is. But not when someone references their own data that they
fabricated and presents it as evidence, as the person complaining about
the lack of data is well known for.

Own Data? You mean like your assertions that a cheap Chinese
flashlight is a perfect bicycle head light? Or that it took a fully
equipped machine to drill a hole in a bike frame?
--

Cheers,

John B.

I have taken Steven's word at the effectiveness of "cheap Chinese flashlights as bicycle lights" and he was completely correct. Sorry if you seem to think that you know anything about anything but you have shown yourself to be a great deal heavier on opinion than knowledge of anything.

+1. -- AJ
Old February 13th 20, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

As a challenge for Frank or John to change the subject, I installed some Campy brake pads designed for Carbon rims and was happily surprised to find that they make the braking respond just like regular brakes.

They actually take a smaller amount of toe-in without chattering.

From a store at $50 for two wheels, if they wear well they are far more than worth it. The Chinese Carbon rims brake pads have significantly less braking force and they seem to wear the rims faster.
Old February 14th 20, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 3:31:44 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 2/12/2020 3:18 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 11:13:57 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 2/12/2020 1:28 AM, wrote:

snip

I had thought that a politician's wages were pretty good as I remember
sms proudly announcing his election and a day to so later revealed
that he and his wife had just bought new cars.
--
cheers,

John B.

Does this bother you? Are we also going to discuss your pension and
what you do with it?

Well I just wish that it were true that the wages were good! In reality
they're terrible. Sounds like John is following Frank into the abyss of
lies, for what reason it is unclear. Maybe he's still upset about Rivnuts.

Lies? Is it a lie that you did post that you had been elected? Is it a
lie that you did post that you and your wife had bought new cars...

It is true that I was elected.

It is a lie that my wife and I bought new cars.

I bought a new car about a year after I was elected. Is it okay to buy a
new car after 21 years? Next time I'll check with you and Frank to be
sure I'm allowed to do so.

You may want to rethink your agenda, and whatever the reason it is for
the behavior you're engaging in. It's not a good look for you.

Are you being sensitive at what John or Frank write? We have all watched
their postings that show that both are in later stages of dementia.

Pot.
Kettle.

Old February 14th 20, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/13/2020 5:47 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 2:36:58 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Own Data? You mean like your assertions that a cheap Chinese
flashlight is a perfect bicycle head light? ...

I have taken Steven's word at the effectiveness of "cheap Chinese flashlights as bicycle lights" and he was completely correct. Sorry if you seem to think that you know anything about anything but you have shown yourself to be a great deal heavier on opinion than knowledge of anything.

You say Mr. Scharf was completely correct when he touted cheap Chinese
flashlights as bike headlights. That was when he said dyno powered
headlights were terrible and foolish.

Problem is, Mr. Scharf is now using dyno powered headlights on his
bikes, and no longer seems to say cheap Chinese flashlights are perfect.

My first question is, was he completely correct back then? Or is he
completely correct now?

My second question regards specific details. My dyno powered LED
headlights illuminate the entire width of the lane, and simultaneously
illuminate stop signs up to a quarter mile away from me, all without
blinding oncoming riders.

The Chinese flashlight I tried could not do that, no matter how I
adjusted the tilt and the focus. It was a truly crappy headlight. What,
specifically, does yours do? What's its brand and model?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 14th 20, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, 14 February 2020 12:00:11 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Some people use flashlights that have a narrow beam but good range. Those lights might be okay as a be seen light but they don't light up much of the road. Others use flashlights with adjustable focus that spread the beams to light of more of the road. the trouble is that when they do that they lose the range they need if riding in totally dark conditions with no city lights.

I really like my CygoLite Rover II light as it does light up the two lanes of the country roads around here and it does so no matter what speed I'm riding at. Also, I can move the battery and light unit from bike to bike easily. I do wish it had a bit more range. For that reason I was considering getting the Centauri or Trident. Dynamo lights simply don't meet my needs.

Cheers
Old February 14th 20, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 2/14/2020 2:23 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I imagine it depends on what you want. I use a Planet Bike 2w when I'm
doing club rides in the evening because it's dark on my ride back home
from the start. But I'm not out in the country, only the burbs. I
don't need a lot of distance but I need something to show me the
potholes in enough time to avoid them. My guess is that a flashlight
would probably work in that case.

Then you have people riding in the rain, pitch dark, pitch dark rain
down steep declines etc. etc. etc. I seriously doubt that there's a one
for all solution.

Old February 14th 20, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:00:11 PM UTC, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/13/2020 5:47 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 2:36:58 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Own Data? You mean like your assertions that a cheap Chinese
flashlight is a perfect bicycle head light? ...

I have taken Steven's word at the effectiveness of "cheap Chinese flashlights as bicycle lights" and he was completely correct. Sorry if you seem to think that you know anything about anything but you have shown yourself to be a great deal heavier on opinion than knowledge of anything.

You say Mr. Scharf was completely correct when he touted cheap Chinese
flashlights as bike headlights. That was when he said dyno powered
headlights were terrible and foolish.

And he was right on both counts then. Dynopowered lamps were crap then. And Scharfie wasn't touting Chinese flashlights back then, he was recommending interior designers' track lamps. I built several set and the worked a treat, and for a few bucks more you dimming lamps, just like on a car.

In the next stage, when high-powered LED lamps became available, Scharfie recommended Chinese flashlights together with appropriate fitting hardware, called fish-mouths. These were still, by test, superior to the best BUMM lamps.

Problem is, Mr. Scharf is now using dyno powered headlights on his
bikes, and no longer seems to say cheap Chinese flashlights are perfect.

And still Scharfie is right, while you merely sound like an idiot who expects everyone to champion only one bicycle component no matter how the market marches on. You're an idiot, Franki-boy, and spiteful with it.

The point at which Scharfie changed over to dynamo lighting was at the advent of the BUMM Cyo, which was the first grown-up lamp from BUMM, about the strength of the 6V lamps on the early VW Beetles. It is also the point where a lot of people with their minds in gear started using dyne lamps seriously, with just a Chinese torch with a flashing mode to fill out the spec of the StValphabet German lamps.

My first question is, was he completely correct back then? Or is he
completely correct now?

It's a matter of nuance that a railroad mind like yours will never grasp.

My second question regards specific details. My dyno powered LED
headlights illuminate the entire width of the lane, and simultaneously
illuminate stop signs up to a quarter mile away from me, all without
blinding oncoming riders.

Sure, any of the more expensive dyne lamps from BUMM these days are better than the crap you championed so ineffectually before. But you're a hypocrite for demanding specifics without offering any. What make and model are these dyno lamps that you now declare adequate? What make and model is your dyne?

The Chinese flashlight I tried could not do that,

What year was that, and what make and model of Chinese flashlight, and the make and model and age of the batteries you used with it? See, Franki-boy, we have experience of your lies and weaselling about facts, so now we don't trust you to tell the undistorted truth.

no matter how I
adjusted the tilt and the focus. It was a truly crappy headlight. What,
specifically, does yours do? What's its brand and model?

Again, you demand details that you withhold. That's a slimy way to conduct an argument, Franki-boy.

--
- Frank Krygowski

What an unconscionable (and un-selfconscious) asshole.

Andre Jute
Mo' is betta lumens
Old February 14th 20, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

In the latter circumstances, a dyno clearly is not the solution. In
stormy weather, fast downhill or trail, a bright battery light is best .
. . for me, and speaking as someone who owns a dyno and battery lights. I
can A/B my dyno and my little all-in-on L&M Urban 800 every night since I
use both. The L&M produces far better light; it is one fourth the total
price of my dyno set up and suffers only in that it requires charging.

-- Jay Beattie.

Like I’ve said before most of times that I’m riding at night it’s by
accident. The few planned times are as I described. So a dyno doesn’t do
much for me.

As for charging, it’s pretty much routine. I have to charge my phone, my
Garmin, my lights and even my watch. Pfft. Battery charge is now an
issue. A Garmin and a phone that can last for a 175km ride hS become a
thing.

Again, we all have different requirements. The fact that we all ride bikes
is way cool. Too bad we can’t avoid the bull**** here.

Regenerative braking Marc[_2_] UK 3 December 24th 09 12:01 PM
Unnerving braking experiences; sudden braking increase. Michael Press Techniques 47 January 30th 07 11:06 PM
braking system strawberry Mountain Biking 11 April 3rd 05 06:54 PM
Braking in corners Doki UK 34 May 6th 04 11:13 AM
Thoughts on braking John Appleby General 76 August 11th 03 10:30 AM