Durability tests on the 13 most popular 11-speed chains

Old February 24th 20, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Durability tests on the 13 most popular 11-speed chains

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 8:22:14 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 10:35:16 AM UTC-8, Mark Cleary wrote:
I get 5-6k on a Shimano 11 speed and since I run Shimano the all Shimano drivetrain shifts the best. Cheap and work really why buy any other. I do like wipperman connex they got the quick link figured out the best.

Deacon mark cleary

I agree pretty much with you but don't think that any other 11 speed chain isn't equally interchangeable and that all of them have the lift section of the links properly accomplished.

Half of my fleet is Campagnolo equipped and the other half Shimano. All 11 speed. I see no difference in shifting performance using a Shimano chain on the Campagnolo equipped bikes or vice versa. There is a price difference and a durability difference. A campagnolo Record chain last two times longer than a Ultegra chain but the Ultegra chain is half the price of a Record chain. Record chains are never on sale Ultegra chains regularly. I tried a KMC chain because it came pre lubed with my favorite wax lube. This saved me the initial cleaning of the factory lube of the new chain. I was really disappointed about the durability of this chain. Won't use them anymore. Will stick to Ultegra and/or Campagnolo Record chains.

Lou
Old February 24th 20, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 9:32:41 PM UTC, wrote:
I tried a KMC chain because it came pre lubed with my favorite wax lube. This saved me the initial cleaning of the factory lube of the new chain. I was really disappointed about the durability of this chain. Won't use them anymore. Will stick to Ultegra and/or Campagnolo Record chains.

This is odd. KMC 8sp chains, in conjunction with a Chainglider to enclose the chain and running on the factory lube for the entire life of the chain plus steel chainrings to get rid of ground aluminium, nearly tripled the mileage I got on other chains, in particular the Shimano Nexus.

Andre Jute
YMMV
Old February 24th 20, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 10:50:20 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 9:32:41 PM UTC, wrote:
I tried a KMC chain because it came pre lubed with my favorite wax lube.. This saved me the initial cleaning of the factory lube of the new chain. I was really disappointed about the durability of this chain. Won't use them anymore. Will stick to Ultegra and/or Campagnolo Record chains.

This is odd. KMC 8sp chains, in conjunction with a Chainglider to enclose the chain and running on the factory lube for the entire life of the chain plus steel chainrings to get rid of ground aluminium, nearly tripled the mileage I got on other chains, in particular the Shimano Nexus.

Andre Jute
YMMV

I can'T comment on that. It depends of course of the model and I compared the KMC chain with my Ultegra 11 speed and Record 11 speed chain experience.. Normally I am not hard on chains especially in this case. It was on my Aeroad which I only use in dry conditions (CF rims and rim brakes). With a Record chain I check the wear maybe once every season with a Shimano Ultegra chain I have to pay more attention but with the used KMC chain I was too late and ruined my cassette after 3500 km.
YMMV.

Lou
Old February 25th 20, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/24/2020 3:50 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 9:32:41 PM UTC, wrote:
I tried a KMC chain because it came pre lubed with my favorite wax lube. This saved me the initial cleaning of the factory lube of the new chain. I was really disappointed about the durability of this chain. Won't use them anymore. Will stick to Ultegra and/or Campagnolo Record chains.

This is odd. KMC 8sp chains, in conjunction with a Chainglider to enclose the chain and running on the factory lube for the entire life of the chain plus steel chainrings to get rid of ground aluminium, nearly tripled the mileage I got on other chains, in particular the Shimano Nexus.

Andre Jute
YMMV

There are several models/quality levels for each
specification of KMC chain. And there are rider service
conditions, load, environment which vary even more.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 25th 20, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

In my experience the environment is the biggest factor in chain wear.
Dry miles only would at *least* double the life of my chains (I have one
DMO), a winter commute *eats* chains for breakfast, lunch and dinner :-(

Old February 25th 20, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:
[...]

And if you were to enclose your chain in a sealed and oil filled
"chain case" think how long it would last :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 25th 20, 11:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 11:14:06 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Quite. My experience, and the experience of others in the touring/commuting community is however that there is peak price/mileage point somewhere in the middle of the range. For me it falls at the X8-93 level. The cheaper chains don't bring a huge saving, the more expensive chains would only be justified at mileages that a masher like me will never see. I'm well satisfied with the KMC chains I used and don't hesitate to recommend them. (The most irritating thing about them is faintly ridiculous: the profusion of non-interchangeable quick-link specs.) That's why I was so surprised to hear that Lou had a less than satisfactory experience with them.

As always: chains are the cheapest part of most bicycle transmissions: they aren't worth agonising over: that is a leftover from when bicycling was the poor workingman's sport and transport.

Andre Jute
YMMV -- literally!
Old February 25th 20, 12:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

In my experience the environment is the biggest factor in chain wear.
Dry miles only would at *least* double the life of my chains (I have one
DMO), a winter commute *eats* chains for breakfast, lunch and dinner :-(

The late great Jobst Brandt use to say that grinding paste was nothing except dust and oil, of which there is plenty around any bike.

And if you were to enclose your chain in a sealed and oil filled
"chain case" think how long it would last :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

You should grow up and come forward into the twentieth century, Slow Johnny. The rest of us have already reached the twenty-first century.

There is no such thing in bicycles as a "chain in a sealed and oil filled 'chain case'" -- I don't know where you get these ignorant ideas. Surely it should be obvious even to an ignoramus like you that such a thing would be too heavy for bicycle use.

As for an ***enclosing*** chaincase (neither "sealed" nor "oil filled"), it nearly trebled my mileage per chain.

Andre Jute
I don't guess. I measure.