Cyclist saved from bankruptcy by crowdfunders

Old February 24th 20, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Cyclist saved from bankruptcy by crowdfunders

QUOTE:
A cyclist who made national news last summer after he was sued and found partially liable for crashing into a distracted pedestrian has revealed the outcome of the case was "not the result I was hoping for". A crowdfunder set up to cover Robert Hazeldean's legal fees with the aim of any surplus going to charity was all swallowed up, as he settled for £30,000 costs and £4,300 damages.

The crash occurred at a junction near Cannon Street Station in London back in 2015, with Hazeldean and pedestrian Gemma Brushett both knocked unconscious. Though Mr Hazeldean was described as a "calm and reasonable road user" and Ms Brushett was using her phone when she was crossing the road, Hazeldean was found jointly liable and was initially ordered to pay compensation and costs of £100,000 after Brushett sued. Crucially, Hazeldean did not have insurance and was facing bankruptcy, so a crowdfunder was launched to cover legal fees. ​

Mr Hazeldean announced on a Twitter thread this morning: "It's not the result I was hoping for, but I do at least feel free of it now."

https://road.cc/content/news/271489-...s60k-plus-bill
Old February 24th 20, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

No insurance, as is normal for a sponging cyclist.
I would not give the **** a drink of water in the desert.

Old February 24th 20, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 7:29:09 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

There are 2 million drivers with no insurance and I have to pay extra on mine in order to fund the MIB who pay up for the poor sods who are hit by them and injured.

QUOTE:
The Motor Insurers' Bureau was founded in the UK in 1946 as a private company limited by guarantee and is the mechanism in the UK through which compensation is provided for victims of accidents caused by uninsured and untraced drivers, which is funded by an estimated £30 a year from every insured driver's premiums.

Old February 25th 20, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 25/02/2020 08:29, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
sponging cyclist.

Thanks greatly for that excellent compliment coming from YOU.
now please open your mouth like a good boy.
Old February 25th 20, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

You did boast that you are claiming ****** benefits after you chucked