Bring back the pin thing!

Old August 5th 04, 02:34 AM
Westie

Default Bring back the pin thing!

My chain doesn't often drop off the big ring up front but when it does...
man oh man!
It jams solid down there between the crank arm and the big ring. I spent ten
minutes with the bike upside down, one foot braced against the downtube,
pulling and twisting chains like my life depended on it yesterday.
Hollowtech is great, but bring back the pin thing!
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old August 5th 04, 03:10 AM
John Morgan

Westie wrote:

My chain doesn't often drop off the big ring up front but when it does...
man oh man!
It jams solid down there between the crank arm and the big ring. I spent
ten minutes with the bike upside down, one foot braced against the
downtube, pulling and twisting chains like my life depended on it
yesterday. Hollowtech is great, but bring back the pin thing!

Your bike doesn't have the pin thing?? Man, what are they selling you these
days?

John M
Old August 5th 04, 03:26 AM
Westie

John Morgan wrote:
Westie wrote:

My chain doesn't often drop off the big ring up front but when it
does... man oh man!
It jams solid down there between the crank arm and the big ring. I
spent ten minutes with the bike upside down, one foot braced against
the downtube, pulling and twisting chains like my life depended on it
yesterday. Hollowtech is great, but bring back the pin thing!

Your bike doesn't have the pin thing?? Man, what are they selling
you these days?

Yeah. I've been ripped off. Manufacteurs will do anything to save money
these days....

Old August 5th 04, 04:23 AM
Dan

"Westie" wrote in message
John Morgan wrote:
Westie wrote:

My chain doesn't often drop off the big ring up front but when it
does... man oh man!
It jams solid down there between the crank arm and the big ring. I
spent ten minutes with the bike upside down, one foot braced against
the downtube, pulling and twisting chains like my life depended on it
yesterday. Hollowtech is great, but bring back the pin thing!

Your bike doesn't have the pin thing?? Man, what are they selling
you these days?

Yeah. I've been ripped off. Manufacteurs will do anything to save money
these days....
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

I'm sure I've got the pin thing on my Hollowtech cranks. Spec. Enduro 2004.

I'll check tonight but i've noticed it and wondered why it was there...

Dan

Old August 5th 04, 03:31 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-08-05, Dan penned:

I'm sure I've got the pin thing on my Hollowtech cranks. Spec. Enduro
2004.

I'll check tonight but i've noticed it and wondered why it was
there...

Okay, I give. What's the pin thing?

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old August 5th 04, 04:00 PM
S o r n i

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Okay, I give. What's the pin thing?

It's when you go to the ATM for more cash to spend on bike parts.

(That, and also a little /chingus/ on the chainring or crankarm that
prevents the chain from wedging in-between the two.)

Bill "George Castanza's pin was 'Bosco'" S.

Old August 5th 04, 04:29 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-08-05, S o r n i penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Okay, I give. What's the pin thing?

It's when you go to the ATM for more cash to spend on bike parts.

(That, and also a little /chingus/ on the chainring or crankarm that
prevents the chain from wedging in-between the two.)

Any chance you have a pic stashed away somewhere?

Old August 5th 04, 04:39 PM
S o r n i

On 2004-08-05, S o r n i penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Okay, I give. What's the pin thing?

It's when you go to the ATM for more cash to spend on bike parts.

(That, and also a little /chingus/ on the chainring or crankarm that
prevents the chain from wedging in-between the two.)

Any chance you have a pic stashed away somewhere?

I'm digitally challenged.

If you look straight down at your bike's crankset, you'll see a small metal
rivet in-between the outer chainring and the right crank-arm. That's the
pin thing.

Bill "Mr. Tech Term" S.

Old August 5th 04, 04:43 PM
Shaun Rimmer

On 2004-08-05, S o r n i penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Okay, I give. What's the pin thing?

It's when you go to the ATM for more cash to spend on bike parts.

(That, and also a little /chingus/ on the chainring or crankarm that
prevents the chain from wedging in-between the two.)

Any chance you have a pic stashed away somewhere?

Look right behind the right crank arm, at the big chain ring - the pin, it's
metal and round, and points out from the latter towards the former, and will
catch the chain before it gets wedged between the two, should it ever come
off that way - ya can't miss it, and looking at the thing is a damned site
easier than someone snapping a photo of it, then E-mailing it to you, then
you d/l'ing it, then you looking at the pic, THEN going to look at the bike,
no?

',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Children, harrumph!

Old August 5th 04, 04:58 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-08-05, Shaun Rimmer penned:

and looking at the thing is a damned site easier than someone snapping
a photo of it, then E-mailing it to you, then you d/l'ing it, then you
looking at the pic, THEN going to look at the bike, no?

You vastly underestimate my laziness!