Seat materials

Old February 26th 07, 03:43 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Buck

Default Seat materials

Who here has a problem with seat foam soaking up rain water, I was speaking to
a customer who had this issue on a Challenge bent but mine never suffered it,
the mesh seats on the Catrikes obviously let water through but that works both
ways, what type is your seat and what are the advantages and disadvantages?

--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

Old February 26th 07, 04:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Curtis L. Russell

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:43:57 GMT, Buck
wrote:

Who here has a problem with seat foam soaking up rain water, I was speaking to
a customer who had this issue on a Challenge bent but mine never suffered it,
the mesh seats on the Catrikes obviously let water through but that works both
ways, what type is your seat and what are the advantages and disadvantages?

The Vision seat had the capability to really soak up water, but it was
only a real issue maybe twice in a decade, when we had a deluge bad
enough for the foam to fill up. My Linear that I used for commuting
also could have had a problem, but the cushion was only Velcro'd on,
so I took it to and from work (Linear was locked up at the train
station).

My experience that it takes a lot of rain for the cushion to saturate.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 26th 07, 04:25 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Buck wrote:
Who here has a problem with seat foam soaking up rain water, I was
speaking to a customer who had this issue on a Challenge bent but
mine never suffered it, the mesh seats on the Catrikes obviously let
water through but that works both ways, what type is your seat and
what are the advantages and disadvantages?

The HPVel Airflow isn't too bad in this respect. When I'm riding it I
keep the cushion out of the worst of the rain, and if I'm parking and
the skies are very suspiciously grey I just take the seat cushion off.
Unless I forget to take it off when it's parked in the rain I've never
got conspicuously wet from the seat, or at least not so I'd notice more
than the general wetness falling on me anyway...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 26th 07, 05:20 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

Buck wrote:
Who here has a problem with seat foam soaking up rain water, I was
speaking to
a customer who had this issue on a Challenge bent but mine never
suffered it,
the mesh seats on the Catrikes obviously let water through but that
works both
ways, what type is your seat and what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Buck, the Venitis or Air Mesh seat foam is cool in summer and water does
not absorb in to the material.
Old March 9th 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent

Default WAS Seat materials TOPIC DRIFT SUPRACOR

"Joel" joelw135atcomcast.net wrote in message
. ..
Buck wrote:
Who here has a problem with seat foam soaking up rain water, I was
speaking to
a customer who had this issue on a Challenge bent but mine never suffered
it,
the mesh seats on the Catrikes obviously let water through but that works
both
ways, what type is your seat and what are the advantages and
disadvantages?

Buck, the Venitis or Air Mesh seat foam is cool in summer and water does
not absorb in to the material.

Joel, IIRC you were in the process of contacting Supracor about alternate
size sheets and direct purchase. Did they reply to you and could you share
the information?
gotbent, now even more bent. Maybe I should change my cognomon to gotbents.

Old March 9th 07, 05:01 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

Buck wrote:
Who here has a problem with seat foam soaking up rain water, I was
speaking to
a customer who had this issue on a Challenge bent but mine never suffered
it,
the mesh seats on the Catrikes obviously let water through but that works
both
ways, what type is your seat and what are the advantages and
disadvantages?

Buck, the Venitis or Air Mesh seat foam is cool in summer and water does
not absorb in to the material.

Joel, IIRC you were in the process of contacting Supracor about alternate
size sheets and direct purchase. Did they reply to you and could you share
the information?
gotbent, now even more bent. Maybe I should change my cognomon to gotbents.

They never got back to me and I tried to contact them again with no luck.
Old March 10th 07, 01:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

On Feb 26, 9:43 am, Buck
wrote:
Who here has a problem with seat foam soaking up rain water, I was speaking to
a customer who had this issue on a Challenge bent but mine never suffered it,
the mesh seats on the Catrikes obviously let water through but that works both
ways, what type is your seat and what are the advantages and disadvantages?

The 1999 yellow RANS seat foam will hold about a liter of water and
takes several days to air dry, even after repeated wringing by hand.
It will appear to be dry sooner, but riding a couple of miles will
reveal this not to be true.

axle materials gordito8me Unicycling 2 December 23rd 06 02:54 AM
frame materials greggery peccary General 2 July 4th 06 08:22 PM
Materials? Hell and High Water Techniques 26 April 5th 06 09:57 PM
Materials to cover frame with??? dannyfrankszzz UK 2 September 7th 05 10:54 PM
frame materials Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 3 May 29th 04 06:00 PM