What would be your response?

Old March 16th 07, 09:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
bcps

Default What would be your response?

This is almost too stupid to be legal...

It was a beautiful day. I was riding my beloved Penninger on the sidewalk
in Delray Beach, Florida (no, the police don't bother me because I'm a
traffic hazard if I ride in the street and, besides, riding in the street
down here would be suicide). Anyway, I'm stopped for traffic at an
intersection (totally on the sidewalk, mind you) because I have to be really
carefull in this area - ride slowly, watch every driveway and intersection -
this trike is inherently dangerous, many tourists, people who think it is
illegal to use turn signals, and blind drivers (read - old farts). So here
comes this guy in his late 50's or early 60's driving an SUV (I hate those
things...). Remember, I'm still on the sidewalk and totally out of the
street. Out of the blue, as he is stopped right in the middle of the
crosswalk of the street I want to cross, he shouts to me in a nasty tone,
"Why don't you get a f---ing car!?".

I was stunned... All I could do was say "why?" then shrug him off. So I
peddled on down the sidewalk to the beach as I thought of other responses.

Here are some of the things I thought of so far:

I don't want to be like you...

There are too many assholes in SUVs on the road...

As long as you are on the road, I want to be on the sidewalk...

Your SUV sucked up all the gas...

My Beemer is in the shop... (that's a lie - it is sitting in my driveway
collecting dust and bird poop)

I don't have room on this thing for my cooler AND a car...

Cars are really hard to pedal...

My mother drives on these roads...

I'm afraid of heights...

(hold up a little matchbox car found by the road) got one ...butt... thanks
for asking...

I'm sure there are much more creative responses and I would really
appreciate it if someone would add to the list because, judging from my
experiences with people in this area (I just moved here 3 months ago),
someone else is bound to make a similar comment in the future and I want to
be ready for it ;-)

Old March 16th 07, 09:19 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ian Smith

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:05:23 -0400, bcps wrote:

he shouts to me in a nasty tone,
"Why don't you get a f---ing car!?".

The last time a motorist yelled something similar at me was the
passenger in a van. He leant out the window to yell it as the van
went past me. I had the good fortune to take a shortcut avoiding a
queue I knew he'd be in. As I came back to the queue I saw I was
ahead of him (he was in a liveried van - very distinctive).

Half a mile further on I turned off the road, so stopped in the turn,
stood up and as the van drove past gave it an exaggerated slow
hand-clap.

The passenger didn't look remotely amused, but the driver was laughing
so hard I worried he'd drive into the car in front.

More commonly, if someone screams abuse I blow them a kiss. Sometimes
they look like they're going to blow a blood vessel after that.

The other alternative is to respond with a happy wave and a cheery
grin - pretend you think they were making a friendly greeting. This
also seems to upset some people more than any 'smart' or 'in kind'
response does. Those it doesn't upset, it confuses - I like to think
they then spend some time worrying they might know me and I've
recognised them.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old March 16th 07, 09:59 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
bcps

"Ian Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent response. It is not good for an individual, on something as
fragile a pedal vehicle, to get tight with a nutcase, a motor, and 2 or more
tons of metal.

But still... what would you have liked to say?

I totally respect your attitude and I think it is a very good attitude to
have.

Old March 16th 07, 10:27 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Zebee Johnstone

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:59:22 -0400
bcps wrote:

But still... what would you have liked to say?

Most of the time the yells are incomprehensible.

Sometimes I can just make out "nice bike" but the ones who yell abuse
seem to have problems with consonants so I just hear "aaaooouuerriii"
or something like it.

If I heard "why don't you get a car" and I wanted to give a smart
remark I'd probably just say "what, and spend all that money to sit in
a traffic jam?"

It's like my usual response to people who say "but aren't you worried
about the traffic?" which is "why? they are mostly stopped after all!".
That usually gets a grin and a "you have a point".

But mostly I seem to get thumbs up and "nice bike" and people winding
down their windows at lights to have a chat about it. The price of
the thing usually boggles them alas. Most people think "bicycle, can
get one at kmart for $99". If I get a chance to talk for longer and
they say "I could buy a car for that" I ask them how much the one they
are driving costs. It's usually more like 20 than 3, and that makes
them think.

Of course the best answer is probably "Because I'm having so much more
fun than you are!"

Zebee
- who needs a sign for the bike in winter "yes I'm cold and I'm wet
and I'm *still* having more fun than you are"
Old March 16th 07, 11:01 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Grolch

bcps wrote:

[...]

I usually respond with "when my legs and heart are too old and feeble to
peddle, I may consider it. Fortunately the "cool bike" and "rad dude"
comments are far more common. Having said that, I do get some off colour
comments as I whizz down a bike path at 35 or 40 kph dinging my bell and the
dog-walkers and strollers taking up the whole width of the path actually
have to move to the right as per signage. When someone comments or there is
confusion (on their part) as to which side of the trail to move to I
generally tell em "keeping right is generally safest", even the signs say
so..

Old March 17th 07, 08:26 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Ian Smith" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:05:23 -0400, bcps wrote:

he shouts to me in a nasty tone,
"Why don't you get a f---ing car!?".

[...]
The other alternative is to respond with a happy wave and a cheery
grin - pretend you think they were making a friendly greeting. This
also seems to upset some people more than any 'smart' or 'in kind'
response does. Those it doesn't upset, it confuses - I like to think
they then spend some time worrying they might know me and I've
recognised them.

The above is actually the best response. Why **** up your bike ride by
getting all upset by a freaking motorist.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old March 17th 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
bcps

bcps wrote:

But still... what would you have liked to say?

Most of the time the yells are incomprehensible.

Sometimes I can just make out "nice bike" but the ones who yell abuse
seem to have problems with consonants so I just hear "aaaooouuerriii"
or something like it.

Yes, lots of people stop me to talk about the bike. Two questions are a tie
for first, "How do you steer it?" and "Did you make that yourself?"

If I heard "why don't you get a car" and I wanted to give a smart
remark I'd probably just say "what, and spend all that money to sit in
a traffic jam?"

Add to that, Palm Beach is one of the top 4 counties on the list of traffic
accidents in the nation.

It's like my usual response to people who say "but aren't you worried
about the traffic?" which is "why? they are mostly stopped after all!".
That usually gets a grin and a "you have a point"

I am very worried about the traffic. Lots of people seem to say to each
other, "What's that?" "I don't know, but let's run over it!"

But mostly I seem to get thumbs up and "nice bike" and people winding
down their windows at lights to have a chat about it. The price of
the thing usually boggles them alas. Most people think "bicycle, can
get one at kmart for $99". If I get a chance to talk for longer and
they say "I could buy a car for that" I ask them how much the one they
are driving costs. It's usually more like 20 than 3, and that makes
them think.

"How much?" is most popular question and comment #3... #4 is, "How is it on
your back?"

Of course the best answer is probably "Because I'm having so much more
fun than you are!"

A fair and true answer. And they don't know the half of it. I was riding
along the sidewalk at the beach a few days ago. There were two beautiful
girls in bikinis in front of me. I didn't want to frighten them because
they might stumble and skin a knee, so I just pedalled really slow ;-)
Perfect eye level... This guy walked by the opposite direction and I looked
at him and said, "It just doesn't get any better than this..." He busted
out laughing.

Zebee
- who needs a sign for the bike in winter "yes I'm cold and I'm wet
and I'm *still* having more fun than you are"

I've thought of so many signs. "Your ad here - call #########" On the
bike, "My other ride is a BMW." On the BMW, "My other ride is a Penninger."
"I'd rather be... Hmmm... never mind."

Old March 17th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
bcps

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:0eGdnSXImpIfO2bYnZ2dnUVZ_vqpnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"Ian Smith" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:05:23 -0400, bcps wrote:

he shouts to me in a nasty tone,
"Why don't you get a f---ing car!?".

[...]
The other alternative is to respond with a happy wave and a cheery
grin - pretend you think they were making a friendly greeting. This
also seems to upset some people more than any 'smart' or 'in kind'
response does. Those it doesn't upset, it confuses - I like to think
they then spend some time worrying they might know me and I've
recognised them.

The above is actually the best response. Why **** up your bike ride by
getting all upset by a freaking motorist.

This is true... I shouldn't let assholes turn me into an asshole - because
being an asshole shows the world you are an incredibly unhappy individual.

Old March 18th 07, 12:59 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Kudos Ed. Good answer. That is an approach I take to life in general.
Somebody at the train station bumped into me the other day because he wasn't
looking where he was going. He stopped and said he was sorry. I responded
with "no problem" or something similar. He said "I'm glad you weren't
angry." My answer was "Why should I ruin my day?"

Also, let me save you some time so that you can answer on-topic if you
desire.

Ed Dolan thinks: ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS

Jeff

Old March 20th 07, 03:08 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

On Mar 16, 4:05 pm, "bcps" wrote:
[...]

WHAT ... and miss this opportunity to make your acquaintance???
Smile, and ride off leaving the driver bewildered.

Jim McNamara

THES response Tony Raven UK 1 September 17th 06 07:06 PM
Ortlieb response Jo UK 0 May 22nd 06 09:03 AM
new to the list - thanks for the response. Brinneman - KG4DNI Unicycling 0 November 17th 05 07:46 PM
His Gracious Response B. Lafferty Racing 3 January 13th 05 08:00 PM
PS' Response [Not Responding] UK 11 January 16th 04 06:07 PM