Was Lance palying head games?

Old May 25th 04, 02:32 PM
Curtis L. Russell

Default Was Lance palying head games?

On 24 May 2004 17:53:39 -0700, (PedalChick)
wrote:

So, why has EVERY OTHER MEDICAL PROFESSION advanced in technology, and
the dentistry folks are still in the freakin' DARK AGES???

Or is it just my damn dentist?

Our family dentist is way better than the past. Occasional discomfort,
but pretty much can do as the patient wants in the area of pain
killer. Doesn't seem to take one approach.

Two things haven't changed.

1) Attractive dental assistants that may know their job, but also
serve to keep any male from whimpering and begging when the drill
starts.

2) And the worst part of any dental procedure for me is the drowning
effect, as my nose has been broken so many times that I have near zero
intake from my nose. At least the suction stuff seems to be a bit
better, too.

My favorite all time dentist was when I was in the military and some
Zoomie dentist put five of the biggest needles in front of me that I
ever saw, complete with thumb rings to really push that novocaine way
back into the mouth. Walked away for about a half hour. I found out
that needles have the optical effect of getting bigger over time...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old May 25th 04, 02:55 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

Sierraman wrote:

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

PedalChick wrote:

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote in

message ...

OK, DDS - tell me what the deal is with you dentist types. In about
1979, I had this metal filling put in my tooth. Back then, my dentist
shot me full of novocaine, my whole face went numb, I drooled all over
myself and it still hurt like hell.
Flash forward to 2004 and the filling has gone bad, my tooth has
broken. I go in to get another filling and what does the freakin'
dentist do??? He shoots me full of novocaine. The whole right side of
my face goes numb. He drills and it still hurts, and later on my face
is still numb, I"m drooling on myself and my tooth hurts at the same
time.

So, why has EVERY OTHER MEDICAL PROFESSION advanced in technology, and
the dentistry folks are still in the freakin' DARK AGES???

Or is it just my damn dentist?

There's a great deal of new technology, but a lot of it is around the
edges, or in improved materials--resins, implants, CAD-CAM restorations.
There is new technology in anesthesia too, but it's a little slow
penetrating the market. You might want to reference intraligamentary
anesthesia, and "the wand":

http://www.dentalarticles.com/products/10147.html

Unfortunately, some areas are harder to anesthetize than others--lower
molars, for example, are sometimes much harder than upper molars.
Acutely inflamed teeth are harder to numb. And some dentists just don't
wait long enough for deep anesthesia. But some situations are just
tough, even though most of the time for the majority of patients things
go better.
Sorry you had such a tough time.
Oh, BTW, I really don't know what it is with us dentist types.

Steve

This is interesting, my dentist waits for the caine family to take effect,
and tests the tooth for pain. If any pain, he will douse it again and wait
yet again. He is very generous with his time. If that doesn't work sometimes
he will stick the needle right into the tooth and juice it up that way. That
does the trick! He uses video and snapshots too so that everyone can see the
work. He even has a chalkboard where he often draw out the procedures to his
clients. Of course all his dental procedure rooms have both radio and cable
TV. My denist doesn't pull teeth. He just specializes mostly. I be weary of
the jack of all trade dentist that does it all.

As Dirty Harry said, "A good man knows his limitations."

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old May 25th 04, 03:30 PM
pedalchick

Mark & Steven B wrote:
[
This is interesting, my dentist waits for the caine family to take
effect, and tests the tooth for pain. If any pain, he will douse it
again and wait yet again. He is very generous with his time. If that
doesn't work sometimes he will stick the needle right into the tooth
and juice it up that way. That does the trick! He uses video and
snapshots too so that everyone can see the work. He even has a
chalkboard where he often draw out the procedures to his clients. Of
course all his dental procedure rooms have both radio and cable TV. My
denist doesn't pull teeth. He just specializes mostly. I be weary of
the jack of all trade dentist that does it all.

As Dirty Harry said, "A good man knows his limitations."
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com/http://www.dentaltwins.com Brooklyn, NY

FWIW, my dentist has all the cool camera stuff, too - I got to see ho
f'd up the tooth was which was nice. At least I knew he needed to dril
my tooth out and wasn't just being a sadistic ******* for no reason

He said my tooth broke because I clench my teeth. I blame bike racing
and probably broke the damn thing on Saturday while doing hill repeat
up the steepest mountain in a 2 hour radius of my house in preparatio
for Phili - being paced up the climb by my (cat 1) coach and the
attacked just after the steepest part to simulate the top of Manayunk
(just to bring the discussion back around to bike racing...) as if tha
wasn't painful enough

So, the dentist is shooting me full of novocaine with a 32-inch needl
that goes out the back of my jaw and into the base of my skull or som
damn thing, and is saying "Just ten seconds and it will be all over".
think of racing and how long a ten second uphill sprint can seem at th
end of a 60 mile race. Ten seconds is a really long time. Even longe
when someone is skewering your head on a 16g needle

-

Old May 25th 04, 03:58 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:57:31 -0400, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
wrote:

"Zoomie" dentist? Is that some kind of a delicacy?

Steve

Army term for Air Force types. Groundpounders, Zoomies, Jarheads and
Squids were the branches (well, Jarheads liked to think they were a
branch) of the military.

They decided because I might be on unpressurized flying platforms that
they needed to replace all my fillings to insure there were no air
spaces. Was not a good day...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old May 25th 04, 04:47 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

pedalchick wrote:

Mark & Steven B wrote:
[
[...]

FWIW, my dentist has all the cool camera stuff, too - I got to see how
f'd up the tooth was which was nice. At least I knew he needed to drill
my tooth out and wasn't just being a sadistic ******* for no reason.

He said my tooth broke because I clench my teeth. I blame bike racing,
and probably broke the damn thing on Saturday while doing hill repeats
up the steepest mountain in a 2 hour radius of my house in preparation
for Phili - being paced up the climb by my (cat 1) coach and then
attacked just after the steepest part to simulate the top of Manayunk.
(just to bring the discussion back around to bike racing...) as if that
wasn't painful enough.

So, the dentist is shooting me full of novocaine with a 32-inch needle
that goes out the back of my jaw and into the base of my skull or some
damn thing, and is saying "Just ten seconds and it will be all over". I
think of racing and how long a ten second uphill sprint can seem at the
end of a 60 mile race. Ten seconds is a really long time. Even longer
when someone is skewering your head on a 16g needle.

I can't imagine doing a real climb with some kind of sports mouthpiece
in, but there was an orthodontist around here several years back who
advocated something called a mandibular orthopedic repositioning
appliance (MORA) which he stated not only offered some protection for
the teeth but also increased muscular strength by putting the mandible
in an optimal position. He had managed to outfit a pro football team
with the devices. Personally I think it's a lot of hooey, but you'll
find some interesting claims if you google this.

Steve

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
Old May 25th 04, 04:48 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

wrote:

"Zoomie" dentist? Is that some kind of a delicacy?

Steve

Army term for Air Force types. Groundpounders, Zoomies, Jarheads and
Squids were the branches (well, Jarheads liked to think they were a
branch) of the military.

They decided because I might be on unpressurized flying platforms that
they needed to replace all my fillings to insure there were no air
spaces. Was not a good day...

Wow--that's an angle I hadn't heard of!

Steve

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old May 25th 04, 04:55 PM
Robert Chung

Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
I can't imagine doing a real climb with some kind of sports mouthpiece
in, but there was an orthodontist around here several years back who
advocated something called a mandibular orthopedic repositioning
appliance (MORA) which he stated not only offered some protection for
the teeth but also increased muscular strength by putting the mandible
in an optimal position. He had managed to outfit a pro football team
with the devices. Personally I think it's a lot of hooey, but you'll
find some interesting claims if you google this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004May22.html

"Fortunately, Duffy reported, Bush was wearing a helmet and mouth guard."

Old May 25th 04, 05:06 PM
Richard Adams

h squared wrote in message ...
Bob Schwartz wrote:

Admit it everyone. Its much better to be off topic on food than off topic
on teeth or chamois lube.

again with the food...

heather

homer
Forbidden donut hrhrhrhrhgh *drool*
/homer
Old May 25th 04, 05:10 PM
Sierraman

"pedalchick" wrote in message
Mark & Steven B wrote:
[
[...]

Best of luck in the Philly, sounds like you are in the running.