If you had 5m to spend

Old September 30th 05, 09:56 AM
POHB

Default If you had 5m to spend

"wafflycat" wrote in message ...

"Towns get £5m to start cycle revolution"

One can only hope it isn't spent on white paint...

So how would you folks spend 5m on improving cycling in your area?

Old September 30th 05, 10:10 AM
Richard

POHB wrote:

So how would you folks spend 5m on improving cycling in your area?

- Cycle training schemes - adult and child.

- Many Sheffield stands all through the city centre and shopping areas,
distributed in, say, pairs or fours every hundred yards or so, for
short-term parking. Preferably covered. In keeping with the area.

- Long-term secure cycle parking facilities at transport interchanges;
bike lockers (both lockers to wheel bikes into and secure, and small
lockers for personal kit). There are logistical problems with these
things - can be used as shelters for the homeless, etc - that need to be
addressed.

- TV/advertising campaigns to promote cycling and warn motorists of the
dangers they inflict, informing them that cyclists are often going
really quite fast, that they sometimes filter down queues on both the
inside and the outside, that you cannot waive someone else's right of
way, that cyclists have a right to be on the road and don't need to use
cycle{paths,ways,tracks} if they don't want, etc. [1]

- Education for councillors and traffic engineers so that they don't
impose daft schemes, like closing off roads that then require a 1/2 mile
diversion when it would be perfectly safe to have a bike bypass of the
blocked end of "fake" one-way streets, etc.

- Enforcement of traffic law, particularly illegal parking and
obstruction of what cycle lanes exist.

R.

[1] This is a bit of a gut reaction, and I don't have any empirical data
to suggest that advertising campaigns [2] have any effect. If they do
have a beneficial effect, that's great. If they don't, then I'll
retract this suggestion.

[2] Such as the "Think once, think twice, think bike" motorcycle
campaign of the 70s.
Old September 30th 05, 10:10 AM
JohnB

POHB wrote:

So how would you folks spend 5m on improving cycling in your area?

Provision of professional cycle training for nearly 150,000 children.

John B
http://www.hampshirecycletraining.org.uk/
Old September 30th 05, 10:19 AM
Phil Clarke

POHB wrote:

So how would you folks spend 5m on improving cycling in your area?

bribe the police to create a state of fear among car drivers, where bad
driving / getting in my way / driving a stereotyped nobmobile is an
imprisonable offence.
Old September 30th 05, 10:28 AM
Mark Thompson

So how would you folks spend 5m on improving cycling in your area?

Not in any particular order:

More cycle stands. Covered by CCTV linked into the city network.
Subsidised bike sheds for schools.
Decent cycle training.
A cyclists version of the highway code combined with something like
Cyclecraft and a basic maintenance wossname. It'd be either free or cheap.
Stickers on back of lorries and buses saying don't overtake on left.
Free indicators for all BMWs.
Funding a competent meta-analysis of existing helmet research and of a new
study to settle the issue once and for all.
Old September 30th 05, 10:31 AM
Simon Mason

"POHB" wrote in message

So how would you folks spend 5m on improving cycling in your area?

I'd have cycle paths on stilts covered like long market garden cloches with
a fan assisted back wind going along routes like the Tube system.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old September 30th 05, 10:35 AM
Colin Blackburn

POHB wrote:
"wafflycat" wrote in message ...

"Towns get £5m to start cycle revolution"

One can only hope it isn't spent on white paint...

So how would you folks spend 5m on improving cycling in your area?

I'd buy a really bloody good bike.

Oh, you mean cycling for everybody!

In that case I'd treat everyone to a Sterling House special.

Colin
Old September 30th 05, 11:20 AM
elyob

"POHB" wrote in message
"wafflycat" wrote in message ...

"Towns get £5m to start cycle revolution"

One can only hope it isn't spent on white paint...

So how would you folks spend 5m on improving cycling in your area?

I'd remove all red lights, make pavements a shared territory etc etc ...

Old September 30th 05, 11:32 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

I submit that on or about Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:56:09 +0100, the person
known to the court as "POHB" made a
statement in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

So how would you folks spend 5m on improving cycling in your area?

Subsidise bikes and training. Easy.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old September 30th 05, 01:10 PM
Phil Clarke

another thought:

5000-9000 nice bikes for people in my town, so the fantasy bikes bought
for me dont stand out or attract tealeaves.

communal shower facilities and secure parking in major work areas (town
centres etc) where people claim they cant cycle because they cant change.