new bike- 350 to spend- what to buy?

Old September 3rd 03, 01:07 AM
dailuggs

Default new bike- 350 to spend- what to buy?

i got about 350 to spend on a road bike- unhappy with only being able to
average 15mph on my hybrid, and for my upcoming "tour de wales" i think
ill go for a new bike- what would you reccomend, im thinking about the
Claud Butler Roubaix or Milano

what would you guys go for with a 350 budget? if its really worth it i
might stretch to 400

i dont want to buy parts and make the bike myself, i just want one
already ubilt that i can ride straight away!

Old September 3rd 03, 09:05 AM
Toby Barrett

dailuggs wrote in news:3f55358a$1_3
@news.chariot.net.au:

i got about 350 to spend on a road bike- unhappy with only being able to
average 15mph on my hybrid, and for my upcoming "tour de wales" i think
ill go for a new bike- what would you reccomend, im thinking about the
Claud Butler Roubaix or Milano

what would you guys go for with a 350 budget? if its really worth it i
might stretch to 400

Those bikes you mention are both racing bikes (as far as I know). If you're
going to tour with luggage you might be better off with a touring bike. You
may be able to get a last years Dawes Horizon for that price, or it's re-
badged incarnation the Edinburgh Country. Edinburgh Bicycle Coop have a
sale on at the moment ( http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/ ).

On the other hand, this won't give you the speed of a racing bike. But it
may be a bit quicker than your hybrid.

Toby

--
Remove spamtrap to reply by mail
Old September 3rd 03, 09:43 AM
John Antrobus

I too plan to change my bike soon. Currently, I commute from Maidenhead to
Windsor on a cycle path which is 100% flat (it runs near the river at the
bottom of the Thames Valley). But next year, I'll be working in High
Wycombe so the commute will be up a massive (for me!) hill. Now, I have
cheap, full-suspension mountain bike from, Halfords (the cyclepath is full
of pot-holes!) - which is absolutely fine. But it's a bit on the heavy side
and I think a lighter bike will be better for the hill to Wycombe, then I'll
not be wasting energy on the weight of the bike in addition to the weight of
my body. I won't be carrying anything directly on the bike; all I travel
with is a laptop in a small rucksack on my back. So, I'm looking for a
fully assembled road bike with straight handle bars and the gear switch on
the handle bars. I guess the more you pay the lighter the bike, but what
would you recommend for about £500?

Old September 3rd 03, 07:05 PM
Simon Brooke

Steve Holdoway writes:

I'd look in the second-hand pages of Cycling Weekly. I just can't
believe how quickly bikes depreciate.

.....and some apparent amazing bargains on ebay, although of course
there's a risk.

;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002
Old September 3rd 03, 07:53 PM
chris French

In message , Toby Barrett
writes
dailuggs wrote in news:3f55358a$1_3
:

i got about 350 to spend on a road bike- unhappy with only being able to
average 15mph on my hybrid, and for my upcoming "tour de wales" i think
ill go for a new bike- what would you reccomend, im thinking about the
Claud Butler Roubaix or Milano

what would you guys go for with a 350 budget? if its really worth it i
might stretch to 400

Those bikes you mention are both racing bikes (as far as I know).

just had a goggle and peek, and yes that seems to be the market. No
concessions at all to loaded touring use No mountings for racks, and
even if you did mount them the 28 spokes in the wheels won't like it.
And the gears for getting the loads up hills?

Of course it could be used for that, you can tour on pretty much
anything, but I don't think it is a good plan.
OK I guess for credit card touring, though maybe a bit uncomfortable to
ride all day

If you're
going to tour with luggage you might be better off with a touring bike. You
may be able to get a last years Dawes Horizon for that price, or it's re-
badged incarnation the Edinburgh Country.

This is of course the obvious thing, though not that different really
from a hybrid :-) speed for loaded touring isn't an issue really though
is it. If you can average 15 mph with a full load on then you are doing
pretty well I reckon :-)

I'm unsure of the OP's intentions here. Is it to get a road bike anyhow,
and just thought it might be used for the TdW, or is it to to get a
bike suitable for touring?

If the former, then I would suggest forget taking it touring, keep the
hybrid and use that. Key points here I suggest would be the riding
position - bar ends at least. Possibly the Newk barends which have had
positive comments from Chris Juden of the CTC. and tyres - a better
road going tyre than the average hybrid tyre would help.

--
Chris French, Leeds
Old September 3rd 03, 09:15 PM
James Hodson

On 3 Sep 2003 09:57:54 +0950, dailuggs
wrote:

i got about 350 to spend on a road bike- unhappy with only being able to
average 15mph on my hybrid, and for my upcoming "tour de wales" i think
ill go for a new bike- what would you reccomend, im thinking about the
Claud Butler Roubaix or Milano

My Orbea Larrau didn't cost much over £300. http://www.orbea.com/

However, it's not a touring steed.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.
Old September 4th 03, 12:50 AM
dailuggs

I'm unsure of the OP's intentions here. Is it to get a road bike
anyhow, and just thought it might be used for the TdW, or is it to to
get a bike suitable for touring?

id be getting a road bike that will only really be toured with
for the TdW

Chain skipping Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 17 June 26th 04 12:56 AM
Comfort Bike ???? Mattearoadie Techniques 7 May 25th 04 01:06 AM
Duct Tape reduces vibration! Wayne Pein Techniques 22 April 29th 04 11:35 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM