Another impatient driver

Old November 13th 11, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Another impatient driver

Boy racer hurtles away from the lights, nearly hits a little old lady
crossing the road, then floors it to get the "lost" time back, then has to
slam on the anchors at a zebra where I pass him anyway.

What is that all about?

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/impatient.wmv

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old November 13th 11, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mr. Benn[_7_]

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

Boy racer hurtles away from the lights, nearly hits a little old lady
crossing the road, then floors it to get the "lost" time back, then has to
slam on the anchors at a zebra where I pass him anyway.

What is that all about?

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/impatient.wmv
======================================

Same as you. He's doing a time trial.

Old November 13th 11, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 09:05:08 -0000, "Mr. Benn"
wrote:

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
.uk...

Boy racer hurtles away from the lights, nearly hits a little old lady
crossing the road, then floors it to get the "lost" time back, then has to
slam on the anchors at a zebra where I pass him anyway.

What is that all about?

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/impatient.wmv
======================================

Same as you. He's doing a time trial.

Yep - probably trying to knock 39 seconds off his journey time to work !!

Old November 14th 11, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
GT

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

Boy racer hurtles away from the lights, nearly hits a little old lady
crossing the road, then floors it to get the "lost" time back, then has to
slam on the anchors at a zebra where I pass him anyway.

What is that all about?

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/impatient.wmv
======================================

Same as you. He's doing a time trial.

At 17 seconds, there was a lady waiting to cross the road. Had you any
anticipation or been reading the road, you should have stopped. At 27
seconds the car was correctly stopped at the zebra crossing for a
pedestrian. You went through the crossing while the person was still
crossing. The only reason you went past the car at that point (which you
promote) is because you were failing to observe the rules. At 34 seconds you
nearly ran down a pedestrian in exactly the same way as your complaint about
the car at the beginning.

This is another video demonstrating why cyclists should undergo the same
testing as car drivers before being allowed on the public roads.

Old November 14th 11, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

On 14/11/2011 10:08, GT wrote:
"Mr. wrote in message
[...]

Not a bad idea but it would be even better of drivers had to undergo
cycle training too. How many cyclists kill and injure drivers? How many
drivers kill and injure cyclists? How many cyclists kill and injure
pedestrians? How many drivers kill and injure pedestrians? How many
cyclists kill and injure kids going to school? How many drivers kill and
injure kids going to school? There may be issues with cyclists, but in
contrast the bigger issue is crap drivers on the road. And there are a
lot of them.

--
Simon
For personal replies, please use my reply-to address.
Old November 14th 11, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mr. Benn[_7_]

"Simon Weaseltemper" wrote in message

On 14/11/2011 10:08, GT wrote:

This is another video demonstrating why cyclists should undergo the same
testing as car drivers before being allowed on the public roads.

Not a bad idea but it would be even better of drivers had to undergo
cycle training too. How many cyclists kill and injure drivers? How many
drivers kill and injure cyclists? How many cyclists kill and injure
pedestrians? How many drivers kill and injure pedestrians? How many
cyclists kill and injure kids going to school? How many drivers kill and
injure kids going to school? There may be issues with cyclists, but in
contrast the bigger issue is crap drivers on the road. And there are a
lot of them.

There are a lot of bad drivers on the road which is a good reason cyclists
should ride defensively, not aggressively.

Old November 14th 11, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

On 14/11/2011 10:08, GT wrote:

This is another video demonstrating why cyclists should undergo the same
testing as car drivers before being allowed on the public roads.

Not a bad idea but it would be even better of drivers had to undergo
cycle training too. How many cyclists kill and injure drivers? How many
drivers kill and injure cyclists? How many cyclists kill and injure
pedestrians? How many drivers kill and injure pedestrians? How many
cyclists kill and injure kids going to school? How many drivers kill and
injure kids going to school? There may be issues with cyclists, but in
contrast the bigger issue is crap drivers on the road. And there are a
lot of them.

There are a lot of bad drivers on the road which is a good reason
cyclists should ride defensively, not aggressively.

I agree.

Problem is, what one cyclist may see as defensive, a driver without
knowledge of cycling might see as arrogant. That’s why we need better
training for drivers.

Old November 14th 11, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

On 14/11/2011 10:08, GT wrote:

This is another video demonstrating why cyclists should undergo the same
testing as car drivers before being allowed on the public roads.

Not a bad idea but it would be even better of drivers had to undergo
cycle training too. How many cyclists kill and injure drivers? How many
drivers kill and injure cyclists? How many cyclists kill and injure
pedestrians? How many drivers kill and injure pedestrians? How many
cyclists kill and injure kids going to school? How many drivers kill and
injure kids going to school? There may be issues with cyclists, but in
contrast the bigger issue is crap drivers on the road. And there are a
lot of them.

There are a lot of bad drivers on the road which is a good reason
cyclists should ride defensively, not aggressively.

FWIW I also have received formal training on bikes and motorbikes which
is backed up with years of experience gained over a lot of miles. I also
am licensed to drive cars and have an unrestricted motorcycle licence.
Most drivers cannot say they are as experienced or qualified as I am as
a cyclist. They are not. Most do not cycle. Most have no motorcycle
experience. Most it seems, have had no formal training in either.

Old November 14th 11, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 14, 10:08*am, "GT" wrote:
"Mr. Benn" wrote in message

"Simon Mason" *wrote in message
.uk...

Boy racer hurtles away from the lights, nearly hits a little old lady
crossing the road, then floors it to get the "lost" time back, then has to
slam on the anchors at a zebra where I pass him anyway.

What is that all about?

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/impatient.wmv
======================================

Same as you. *He's doing a time trial.

At 17 seconds, there was a lady waiting to cross the road. Had you any
anticipation or been reading the road, you should have stopped. At 27
seconds the car was correctly stopped at the zebra crossing for a
pedestrian. You went through the crossing while the person was still
crossing. The only reason you went past the car at that point (which you
promote) is because you were failing to observe the rules.

The rule on overtaking at zig zag lines only applies to motor
vehicles, look it up.

At 34 seconds you
nearly ran down a pedestrian in exactly the same way as your complaint about
the car at the beginning.

Yes, of course I did. I am always "nearly" running people over - I
never have hit anyone in 80000 miles though.

This is another video demonstrating why cyclists should undergo the same
testing as car drivers before being allowed on the public roads.

What are you on about?
I passed my motorcycle test in 1977 after having had no training nor a
single lesson. In 1981, I passed my car test with no school lessons
either, it was very common in those days. In contrast, I passed two
cycling proficiency tests, so I have had more training for riding my
bike than I ever did for a car or motorbike.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 14th 11, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
GT

On Nov 14, 10:08 am, "GT" wrote:
"Mr. Benn" wrote in message

[...]

== reply ==
I didn't mention the rule about overtaking on 'zig zag' lines. I was talking
about you breaking rule 198 in the HC.

At 34 seconds you
nearly ran down a pedestrian in exactly the same way as your complaint
about
the car at the beginning.

Yes, of course I did. I am always "nearly" running people over - I
never have hit anyone in 80000 miles though.

== reply ==
the car driver that you complain about didn't hit the lady either, so I
don't see why you complain about the car doing the same as you? If you are
always "nearly" running people over, then you should drive/ride less
aggresively and try to use some anticipation. I would suggest a few lessons
with a person qualified to use the public highway should help you.

This is another video demonstrating why cyclists should undergo the same
testing as car drivers before being allowed on the public roads.

What are you on about?
I passed my motorcycle test in 1977 after having had no training nor a
single lesson. In 1981, I passed my car test with no school lessons
either, it was very common in those days. In contrast, I passed two
cycling proficiency tests, so I have had more training for riding my
bike than I ever did for a car or motorbike.

== reply ==
A simple refresher course should be fine to bring you back up to standard
then. The videos you post does not demonstrate safe HC standards. Not even
legal standards at times.