Help with Ladies Bike size

Old February 6th 05, 09:54 AM
Terry Keelen

Default Help with Ladies Bike size

Can someone here help me.
I want to buy my girlfriend a secondhand ladies Mountain Bike.
She lives overseas, and I want to get one for her, so that its here when she
arrives.

Ok, she is very short, 152 cms, and she measured from the ground to her
inner leg, and its 67 cms.

What size bike should I get her ?

Any help much appreciatted.

Old February 6th 05, 10:10 AM
Meeba

Terry Keelen Wrote:
Can someone here help me.
I want to buy my girlfriend a secondhand ladies Mountain Bike.
She lives overseas, and I want to get one for her, so that its her
when she
arrives.

Ok, she is very short, 152 cms, and she measured from the ground t
her
inner leg, and its 67 cms.

What size bike should I get her ?

Any help much appreciatted.

My only advice is,if you want her to keep up (to your pace) get her
2nd hand "hybrid or comfort "bike,,unless of course you are going of
roadish and need mtn bike :

--
Meeba

Old February 6th 05, 10:32 PM
Alan Hutchison

Terry Keelen wrote:
Can someone here help me.
I want to buy my girlfriend a secondhand ladies Mountain Bike.
She lives overseas, and I want to get one for her, so that its here when she
arrives.

Ok, she is very short, 152 cms, and she measured from the ground to her
inner leg, and its 67 cms.

What size bike should I get her ?

Any help much appreciatted.

Terry, you have a few problems.

For a woman of that size, a hybrid is out of the question
because the wheel size compromises the bike design too much.

A very small mountain bike would be better in that regard but
would probably need some modification. It would probably be
too stretchy for her.

Another issue will be crank length. Even the smallest
mountain bike will be fitted with cranks of 170mm while her
leg length indicates cranks of 155/160mm are needed.

Have a read of this site
http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/index.html which should give
you some ideas.

If you feel you have the bike fit right but the cranks are too
long, the recumbent people would probably be able to redrill
and shorten standard cranks for you.

Good luck,

Alan.
Old February 6th 05, 11:33 PM
cfsmtb

I'll concur with the info Alan supplied. I'm 155cm, ie: my legs barel
touch the ground. . Anyway, just measured up three bikes in th
stable.
Road bike - frame size 16" (41cm), top tube 19.5" (50cm)
Commuter/MTB: Frame size 15" (38.1cm), top tube 19.5" (50cm)
Singlespeed MTB: Frame size: 15.6" (40cm), top tube 19.5" (50cm)

Again, getting the basic geometry is also depend upon personal choic
of components like head stem size, crank length, seat adjustment, styl
of handlebars etc. Can't overlook the importance of finding a good loca
bike shop, even if you want purchase 2nd hand. Hope this helps & goo
luck. ;

--
cfsmtb

Old February 8th 05, 10:52 AM
Meeba

Alan Hutchison Wrote:
Terry Keelen wrote:
[...]

Oops sorry to have mislead you Terry !!,l didnt realise she was small
hope you find a suitable bik

--
Meeba