Trailer Recommendation

Old November 10th 06, 11:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

Default Trailer Recommendation

"Murray R. Van Luyn" wrote:

I'm looking to get hold of a bicycle trailer for on and off-road MTB use.
What's the best one to get?

The best one? Best I've seen is the Weber Monoporter, displayed at the
recent Bike Australia Show.

http://www.weber-products.de/monoporter/index.html (Manufacturer website -
in German)

At around half the weight of a BOB Yak, and able to fold really compactly to
fit into a carry bag it has some practical advantages, and it is very well
engineered. But the price is quite high!

Details and RRP of the Weber Monoporter trailer from an enquiry to the
distributor
..
The monoporter can be bought as a complete setup for $1399.00 which
includes the Trailer, Waterproof 80 litre pack and the Transporter bag. Or
you can purchase just the trailer for just $1149 as it can be used with any
bag placed on top of it and strapped down with the straps that are supplied
(Handy for everyday use or touring alike). General Details on the
monoporter are as follows:

- Product Weight = 5.75 kg (Makes it one of the lightest yet
toughest trailer on the market)
- Overall length 150cm
- Packs down easily to 76x44x15cm
- High Grade steel spokes
- Solid high-grade steel axle with a scratch proof powder coating
- High-quality aluminium framework

If you require any further information than what I have supplied you with
above please don't hesitate to contact either myself or
by email.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old November 10th 06, 01:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle
scotty72

It should be fine - depends how rough you are.

Mine generally goes on road, but I do take it up and down kerbs, across
short dirt sections.

The coupling is easy - just be sure that when you slide the catch down
to lock it in, make sure you pop the pin back out - that will fix it
in. Even if you don't it should come out unless you get rough or take
twisty turns. However, popping the pin back out that 1/4 cm secures it
(you'll know when you see it)

Scotty

Murray R. Van Luyn Wrote:
Hi SCotty,

Thanks very much for you comments about the Bob clone trailer.

It sounds as though you've had good use of yours on paved roads. How
do you
think it would do with a moderate load on rough forrest trails? Is it
going
to come unhitched or rattle to bits, or do you think it would be a
certainty
to hang-in there?

Regards,
Murray R. Van Luyn.

"scotty72" wrote in
message

I got one about 6 months ago.

It is brilliant. I take it shopping, on rides etc.

I've had 38kg in it (though that was on paved road).

Folds up into the bag for easy storage.

Can't see the benefit of the big extra $$$ for the BOB original.

SCotty

gmercer Wrote:
Murray,

flying furniture http://www.flyingfurniture.com.au/parts.html

have Bob Yak clones (a bit more 'industrial' but folding for easy
transport) for $289.

People rave about them and cheaper than a genuine bob

Geoff

Murray R. Van Luyn wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to get hold of a bicycle trailer for on and off-road

MTB
use.
What's the best one to get?

Regards,
Muz.

--
scotty72

--
scotty72

Old November 11th 06, 12:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Murray R. Van Luyn

Hi David,

Thanks very much for your post. I'd seen a few comments about the Bob and
it's coupling issues. I believe that it can lose cotter pins, come undone
and result in a bent something-or-other. I think you may have sold me on the
clone if this isn't going to be an issue for it.

Thanks also for the including the origin of your trailer. I didn't think
that I was going to get one in WA, but it seems that if I have a bit of a
ring around, then I might save on the $110 freight that one supplier at
least quoted me.

I wonder how the clone is going to cope with rough forrest trails, as I
expect the Munda Biddi will be?

Regards,
Murray R. Van Luyn.

"davidm" wrote in message

Soooo much cheaper than a BoB. Tri-Sled
http://www.trisled.com.au/
also sell them (I spoke to Ian from flyingfurniture yesterday and he

I've used the clone and the real thing, and also a 2 wheeler trailer. I
now own the clone. I liked the coupling of the clone better than the
original BOB whihc is ery "fussy" for my liking.

For touring, you'll find it's great. When we tour I carry a 3 person tent,
10L of water, and two sets of sleeping bags and mattresses, a tarp and
food.. My wife carries clothes etc in her panniers. The trailer did fine.

I got mine for cheap, maybe $200 (?) from Mercer Cycles in Fremantle.
Can't recall the exact amount, but much cheaper than a BOB.

Cheers
David M

Old November 11th 06, 01:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Murray R. Van Luyn wrote:
Hi Friday,

Hmm, that's the 2nd report I've heard about the Bob coming undone.

Apart from the facts that I don't have QR wheels, nor could I get the
bob-style latches, I decided to make my trailer bolt on - pain in the
ass as it takes 15 minutes to attach trailer and rack on a pair of high
tensile bolts. Maybe not an option with commercial trailers.

Maybe I should have another look at panniers, and just accept the added risk
of broken spokes and axles that my stature seems to make inevitable in any
case.

that was way I built 4x wheels - it, plus going slower down hill and
spending more time ont he pedals on rough grounds tended to cut down on
broken spokes.

The only time I've broken axles (bolt ons) was when I was doing jumps
with some kids. Generally I tend to bend them and have slowly built up a
collection of bent axles.
Old November 11th 06, 01:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Peter Signorini wrote:

The best one? Best I've seen is the Weber Monoporter, displayed at the
recent Bike Australia Show.

Is that just from your inspection? It does look good.

The monoporter can be bought as a complete setup for $1399.00 which

seems expensive, but that is just me.

includes the Trailer, Waterproof 80 litre pack and the Transporter bag.

I love to know how it handles with 80kg in it.
I suspect the curved tube from headstem to tray isn't going to last that
well.

Old November 11th 06, 11:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Murray R. Van Luyn" wrote:

Hmm, that's the 2nd report I've heard about the Bob coming undone. A
trailer breakdown in the bush wouldn't be life threatening, but it sure
could get expensive dumping everything and having to pedal off with just
the water.

Maybe I should have another look at panniers, and just accept the added
risk of broken spokes and axles that my stature seems to make inevitable
in any case.

Pssst! Four panniers and a racktop bag will carry more gear than a BOB bag,
and the bike handling on steep, rough or slippery surfaces will be far
better. As for broken gear - wheels built of 36 spokes (14g) should cope
with most weights and terrain bumps. But then I'm a lightweight so it's
difficult to compare.
--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old November 11th 06, 11:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Terryc" wrote:

Peter Signorini wrote:

The best one? Best I've seen is the Weber Monoporter, displayed at the
recent Bike Australia Show.

Is that just from your inspection? It does look good.

Yes, just checking out at the show. I'm not really a trailer afficionado,
have a BOB Yak but only use it occasionally. But the Monoporter sure loks
well put together and has some very fancy engineering to it.

The monoporter can be bought as a complete setup for $1399.00 which

seems expensive, but that is just me.

includes the Trailer, Waterproof 80 litre pack and the Transporter bag.

I love to know how it handles with 80kg in it.
I suspect the curved tube from headstem to tray isn't going to last that
well.

You're damn right it is expensive, outside my budget. As for weight, I've
found even 25-30 kg on a trailer to be disconcertingly destabilizing to the
bike's handling. Much better in panniers. But the Monoporter is German-made,
and my experience of German gear is that it's of excellent design and very
well engineered. I doubt there'd be any problems with failure of the frame.
--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old November 12th 06, 12:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Vincent Patrick

Terryc wrote:

Peter Signorini wrote:

The best one? Best I've seen is the Weber Monoporter, displayed at the
recent Bike Australia Show.

Is that just from your inspection? It does look good.

The monoporter can be bought as a complete setup for $1399.00 which

seems expensive, but that is just me.

includes the Trailer, Waterproof 80 litre pack and the Transporter bag.

I love to know how it handles with 80kg in it.
I suspect the curved tube from headstem to tray isn't going to last that
well.

The Monoporter is meant to carry a maximum of 25 kg.

Cheers,

Vince

Old November 12th 06, 01:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
donner trail

Trailer Trash Recommendation

that would be marty aka friday mom.

LBS recommendation tony UK 5 October 21st 06 03:52 PM
LBS Recommendation in So. Cal. Les Techniques 4 November 30th 04 06:06 PM
ATB recommendation please. Mark UK 8 May 29th 04 01:07 PM
MTB recommendation Chris Walters UK 2 January 7th 04 11:04 AM