Non-impatient motorists actually exist?

Old August 18th 09, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Default Non-impatient motorists actually exist?

mileburner wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
On 18 Aug, 07:53, "mileburner" wrote:

Doug, you live in a city which is the raging boil on the arse of the
universe. Living there makes you bitter and twisted. You need to get out
more.

Vancouver is also a city.

Yeah, and in another country nearly halfway round the planet...

Meanwhile in another country altogether and seemingly worlds away...

In the Western Isles I was not once passed in an unsafe manner.
Sometimes I wanted them to come past as I was expecting it but no the
buses and trucks all waited patiently until they could get past
leaving me a wide space as per the highway code.

Back here in London my default position is becoming "claim the lane"
not least because the roads are getting so chewed up by the buses that
riding in their wheel tracks is a bit like riding on cobbles. I had an
unfortunate incident today in Lower Grosvenor Place occupying the
centre of three lanes (left lane turns left) when my chain fell off as
I snicked it into top gear. But the car behind wasn't on the horn
straight away and he did notice my paddling (slowing down) signal even
if he was a little close behind me for my comfort. I think I need to
invest in some chain guards for my 42T ring which I have put on my
Birdy to make it possible to get up Real Hills [TM]