The Election Results

Old November 3rd 04, 03:43 PM
neil0502

Maggie wrote:
Well I have been working on the Kerry Campaign for months now. Last
weekend I went to PA for the day to help with that state. I am totally
bummed out today. A Republican President and a Republican Senate. I
guess the moral majority has spoken. Some day I am going to figure
out what is so moral about that majority. Someday I am going to
figure out the right wing conservative. Yes, someday I am going to
understand the convervative right, the mentality of the NRA, the Right
to Lifers and those darn morals of the moral majority. AND SOMEDAY I
AM GOING TO PUT ON A CAPE AND FLY!!!! Good Luck President
Bush....(trying not to be a sore loser here).....give us a peaceful
four years. That's all I wish for....a world where no one lives in
fear. Quoting 1968..."Make Love, not War." As I sink into depression,
I am happy for all of you who worked to get Bush elected and I am sad
for those like myself who lost their dream. Maybe if I ride my bike I
will feel better.
Peace and Stuff
From a Bleeding Heart Liberal Democrat

I'm with you, Maggie. The only good news I can think of is that I don't
have to remove the "If you can read this, you're not the president" bumper
sticker from my hybrid any time soon.....

Old November 3rd 04, 03:50 PM
neil0502

di wrote:

To help you with your problem, all you have to do is take a good look
at the history of America, it was built on hard work, morals, and
individual commitment and initiative, not on government programs,
handouts, suppression of the right to success, and redistribution.

Which part of morals covers slavery (African-American, Native American,
Asian . . . or, now, Latin-Americans to a degree) and elitism (who voted?
Legally, only the rich white guys)?

It's easy to be a "Rugged Individual" when you can legally beat somebody to
death for not plowing fast enough.

What you quote is the Wild West, Di. It was American Darwinism at its
finest. Do you advocate a return to that (drive a behemoth SUV, by any
chance?)

I sincerely hope you don't have a loved one (and I hope this anyway) with an
illness requiring medical intervention. In those days, they were pretty
much a write-off, no?

I hope you and your loved ones never have to ask for help from that safety
net that your post decries. I hope that--if you do--that the safety net is
there for you.

Bootstraps only work if you have boots to begin with.

Old November 3rd 04, 04:28 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:32:26 -0600, "di" wrote:

To help you with your problem, all you have to do is take a good look at the
history of America, it was built on hard work, morals, and individual
commitment and initiative, not on government programs, handouts, suppression
of the right to success, and redistribution.

****, another four years to wait then for the end of the Bush
oil-to-defense pork barrel ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 3rd 04, 04:31 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Hunrobe wrote:
Speaking of majorities, whether one voted for Bush or Kerry we can
all be glad that at least this time around it looks like there won't
be any conflict between the beauty contest (popular) and real
(electoral) vote. No matter your political philosophy you have to
admit the Framers were pretty darn smart. The system they devised
still works after 200+ years.

While I agree with that, the thing that struck me yesterday was looking at
the "red/blue map" of the U.S. Even in 2000, Bush won a substantial
majority of states (30-20? 29-21? And that included New Mexico by ~340
votes) while closely losing the popular. Certainly points out how
northeastern and far western population centers can exert their influence
over the overall results (both electorally /and/ in gross numbers).

Bill "too damned divided" S.

Old November 3rd 04, 04:59 PM
Todd Kuzma

Hunrobe wrote:

Speaking of majorities, whether one voted for Bush or Kerry we can all be glad
that at least this time around it looks like there won't be any conflict
between the beauty contest (popular) and real (electoral) vote. No matter your
political philosophy you have to admit the Framers were pretty darn smart. The
system they devised still works after 200+ years.

If the definition of "still works" is that the electoral
college agrees with the popular vote, why not just use the
populat vote. This year showed one of the ugly sides of the
electoral college: the entire campaign was conducted in
only 10 states. Essentially, the residents of the other 40
states were not included in the process.

Todd Kuzma
Heron Bicycles
Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery
LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com
http://www.tullios.com

Old November 3rd 04, 05:15 PM
psycholist

"Maggie" wrote in message
om...
[...]
From a Bleeding Heart Liberal Democrat

I have to figure you people who whine about all this liberal crap aren't
really out there living in the real world. Have we had another 9/11 type of
attack since 9/11? NO! When that attack happened, the stock market tanked.
Why? Because everyone expected the economy to completely tank. Did it?
NO! Bush took decisive action that restored confidence. I own a business
and I employ 30 people. If you'd have told me a week after 9/11 that my
business ... a run-of-the-mill sheet metal manufacturing business ... would
be prospering as it has been the last few years, I'd have said you're nuts.
But the fact is, I'm having record sales and have been for quite some time
now. The fact is, I can't find enough qualified people to get all the
orders out the door that I have. The fact is that all my customers,
regardless of the category of business they're in and regardless of region
of the country, are prospering and are placing huge demands on us to
expedite orders as fast as we possibly can.

As for health care, the FACT is that George W. Bush was instrumental in
instituting a groundbreaking program that has more potential to reform
health care than anything anyone else, including Hillary, has put forth.
It's called Health Care Savings Accounts. They saved the medical insurance
program at my company and my employees love it. The media hasn't given HSAs
much attention 'cuz they don't want to give Bush any credit. Do a little
homework on the concept rather than spouting all the liberal drivel you
hear. It's a great program. It doesn't solve all the medical insurance
issues, but it's a fantastic start.

Now what really needs to be worked on is the damned lawyers. We so
desperately need tort reform it's ridiculous. Do you think Kerry and
Edwards were gonna take that on? HA!

You liberals need to go live in the real world for a while. You need to
STOP riding your bikes and go do something meaningful like try to start and
run a business. Try to employ and insure people. Try to tiptoe around all
the laws and regulations that exist already to protect people who really
don't want to work and who really don't want to be accountable to anybody
for anything. Bush has attempted to clear away some of that crap so
American businesses can be viable again.

My business is in the great Democratic state of Minnesota ... one of the
most liberal in the nation. We got a small detection of a chemical in our
well back in 1999. It was barely above detection and health concern limits.
In swept the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. We've gone through 5 years
of borings, samplings, lab tests, reports, consultant fees, etc. We've
spent well over $150,000. Just 2 weeks ago, after 5 years of all this crap,
they issued us a letter saying they've determined that no action is
necessary. But they dragged it out and dragged it out ... all the while
invoicing my little 30-person company at the rate of $120 per hour for their
engineers to second-guess everything the consultants they forced me to hire
had done. It was extortion -- pure and simple. And if I didn't go along
with it, they'd turn our case over to the Superfund. That's the kind of
crap you get with democrats. That was more money than our company made in
profit over those years. That was money right out of our employees pockets
and right out of our capital expansion program. The only people who
benefited were the bureaucrats working for the MPCA.

So lets get real and quit spouting the liberal media spin/hype. It's such
bull****.

Bob C.

Old November 3rd 04, 05:18 PM
dgk

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:03:53 GMT, maxo wrote:

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 08:32:26 -0600, di wrote:

To help you with your problem, all you have to do is take a good look at
the history of America, it was built on hard work, morals, and individual
commitment and initiative

What does that have to do with deception, lies, unprovoked warfare, and
pandering to corporate interests?

Why do you hate America?