Revitalizing A.R.B.R - suggested methods

Old November 12th 04, 04:58 AM
War On Error

Default Revitalizing A.R.B.R - suggested methods

Here are some suggested methods for revitalizing A.R.B.R:

- Do not feed trolls. Ever.
- Obvious off-topic threads should be ignored and/or moved to another NG.
- Persistent trolls should be killfiled/blocked/plonked with prejudice.
- Advertise our revitalization effort on relevant web boards.
- Start as many interesting threads as you can.
- Make a point to actively participate in polite, on-topic discussions.
- "Lively" discussion - on topic - is good, but harassment is not.
- Overtly rude, antisocial people should be ignored and/or killfiled.
- Let's keep spelling and grammar policing to a minimum (Hi Tom! ;-)
- Do not engage trolls or rude people *at all*. That's what they're looking
for.
- I repeat: Don't respond to rude OT threads, no matter how provocative.

I really like A.R.B.R. It's a shame to let a few rude people ruin it for
those of us who are here to discuss recumbents. This is a community. In a
community, social mores are observed, and anti-social behavior is punished.
We need to use tried-and-true methods to rid ourselves of the antisocial
element. Let them cry about restrictions of free speech on
alt.thread-crapping.trolls.d ;-) There are thousands of newsgroups. Let
them find the right one on their own. That's not our job.

I am publicly asking for posts from you "lurkers" out there. Don't be
afraid of the trolls, just ignore them. If you don't know how to block the
trollse (so you won't see their posts), just ask. You need newsreader
software; but it's free. All Windows PC's come with Internet Express, which
is what I have used for many years. There are other newsreaders available
for free if you use a Mac.

I realize that this is technically an off-topic posting. I hope you'll
forgive this infraction, and let me stick around. I'm incognito for now;
but I've been posting on A.R.B.R for about 6 years. I want to help nurture
it back to health. I hope you agree. It's going to be a long winter for
some of us. I hope we can all keep warm with great stories, inspiring
ideas, tricky questions, helpful hints, and solid advice. That's what we're
here for, isn't it?

WOE

Old November 12th 04, 05:24 AM
Tom Sherman

War On Error wrote:

- Let's keep spelling and grammar policing to a minimum (Hi Tom! ;-)...

Agreed. We should emphasize the correct capitalization of proper names
instead.

--
Tom Sherman - RANS bikes with SRAM components.

Old November 12th 04, 09:30 AM
Edward Dolan

"War On Error" wrote in message
newspXkd.88124$R05.44815@attbi_s53...
Here are some suggested methods for revitalizing A.R.B.R:

- Do not feed trolls. Ever.

But some enjoy the give and take of adult conversation.

- Obvious off-topic threads should be ignored and/or moved to another NG.

Nobody will ever do that. Get real!

- Persistent trolls should be killfiled/blocked/plonked with prejudice.

Nonsense. Just don't read those threads.

- Advertise our revitalization effort on relevant web boards.

Screw all other boards. If you are on more than one board, then you are
spreading your self too thin.

- Start as many interesting threads as you can.

More nonsense. Only post when you have something to say that you are really
interested in.

- Make a point to actively participate in polite, on-topic discussions.

Politeness is all in the eye of the beholder. He wants you to be boring as
hell, like he is.

- "Lively" discussion - on topic - is good, but harassment is not.

If you even say boo to him, he will consider it harassment.

- Overtly rude, antisocial people should be ignored and/or killfiled.

If you do that, you will be bored to death by the posts and you will want to
shoot yourself in the head so as to escape the misery of it all.

- Let's keep spelling and grammar policing to a minimum (Hi Tom! ;-)

Let others learn how to post properly. ARBR does not need to accommodate
slobs and other miscreants. We are an intellectual group. Let the morons go
to BROL.

- Do not engage trolls or rude people *at all*. That's what they're
looking for.
- I repeat: Don't respond to rude OT threads, no matter how provocative.

OT is just fine as long as it is labeled as such. But any thread that goes
on and on is likely to be OT. Is all of this rocket science or are others
more stupid than I could ever imagine them to be.

I really like A.R.B.R. It's a shame to let a few rude people ruin it for
those of us who are here to discuss recumbents. This is a community. In
a community, social mores are observed, and anti-social behavior is
punished. We need to use tried-and-true methods to rid ourselves of the
antisocial element. Let them cry about restrictions of free speech on
alt.thread-crapping.trolls.d ;-) There are thousands of newsgroups. Let
them find the right one on their own. That's not our job.

OT is OT. What is the problem? There are many of us here who enjoy OT. We
are basically all old codgers and civilized (unlike Monkey Island) and are
not going to cause any damage to the on topic threads. I repeat, what is the
problem?

I am publicly asking for posts from you "lurkers" out there. Don't be
afraid of the trolls, just ignore them. If you don't know how to block
the trollse (so you won't see their posts), just ask. You need newsreader
software; but it's free. All Windows PC's come with Internet Express,
which is what I have used for many years. There are other newsreaders
available for free if you use a Mac.

I realize that this is technically an off-topic posting. I hope you'll
forgive this infraction, and let me stick around. I'm incognito for now;
but I've been posting on A.R.B.R for about 6 years. I want to help
nurture it back to health. I hope you agree. It's going to be a long
winter for some of us. I hope we can all keep warm with great stories,
inspiring ideas, tricky questions, helpful hints, and solid advice.
That's what we're here for, isn't it?

War On Error, you are way off base. ARBR is big enough for all of us. Usenet
is a tremendous invention and we should all enjoy it to the max. Subject
threads are the key. If you can't comprehend this very simple idea, then you
should not be on Usenet in the first place.

All this carping about OT comes down to the fact that others do not like
BALANCED political comment.

Drum roll please:

War on Error is none other than ... Jon Meinecke. I would recognize his
style in a sewer which is where it belongs. He is a liberal tyrant who is
nothing if not a controller. I have had many run ins with him over the past
year. He wants to be the moderator of this group. You can judge for yourself
if you would want some one like him running this group. He is sneaky and
never above board. In other words, a typical liberal.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old November 12th 04, 12:08 PM
Edward Dolan

"Bill McAninch" wrote in message
You need help....... enough said.

All top posters are idiots!

It is never ... "enough said". You have to focus on the specifics. I know
it is hard and time consuming, but you have to do it. There are no short
cuts. ARBR is a very intellectual group (thanks to me) and great rigor is
required to get up to the mark. With a name like McAninch (Scotch or Irish?)
you are up to it. I am looking forward to your posts. Anything is better
than these ****ing English liberal posts.

--
[...]

Subject threads are the key. If you can't comprehend this very simple

Old November 12th 04, 12:31 PM
Doug Huffman

First, YOU could post using an unmunged return address and your real name.
Take personal responsibility for your drivel. I have some pleasant
acquaintances that were made here and among we who are open and honest.

Old November 12th 04, 02:20 PM
Jon Meinecke

"War On Error" wrote

Here are some suggested methods for revitalizing A.R.B.R:

Good suggestions.

- Do not feed trolls. Ever.
[...]
- Do not engage trolls or rude people *at all*. That's what they're

looking
for.
- I repeat: Don't respond to rude OT threads, no matter how provocative.

All posts are trolls. It's the quality of the bait and fishing technique
that differs. Responding to posts, even if to point out the stupidity
of their content enables and engages. Parallels to Monty Python
skits and movie scenes are numerous. Consider also the conclusion
of Joshua/WOPAR in _War Games_: "Interesting game,-- the
only way to win is..."

I really like A.R.B.R. It's a shame to let a few rude people ruin it for
those of us who are here to discuss recumbents. This is a community.

Shunning is practiced in some close-knit communities... USENET
newsgroups are rarely that close-knit.

I am publicly asking for posts from you "lurkers" out there.
Don't be afraid of the trolls, just ignore them.

The language and character of ARBR have changed to make it
less appealing for many. Using newsreader applications that
can filter based on sender helps dramatically. Doesn't help
the "curb appeal", though.

I realize that this is technically an off-topic posting.

It's appropriate. Entirely appropriate.

I hope you'll
forgive this infraction, and let me stick around. I'm incognito for now;
but I've been posting on A.R.B.R for about 6 years. I want to help

nurture
it back to health. I hope you agree.

Yes. Resolve to post more. Respond in the way you want
the newsgroup culture to move. Initiate threads about topics
you want the newsgroup to cover. Post more messages of
the sort you want to see. That's what those who have "lifted
a leg" on this newsgroup to mark their territory have quite
successfully done over the past year or so.

It's going to be a long winter for
some of us. I hope we can all keep warm with great stories, inspiring
ideas, tricky questions, helpful hints, and solid advice.

Or just more riding. I need only a couple of hundred more
miles to pass 7000 on my TourEasy and hope to get mileage
before the worst or the weather (Jan/Feb) here. Shouldn't
be a problem. I've actually been putting 25-35 miles per
week on my BikeE, but I want another three zeros to
roll-over on my TourEasy odometer. I started a tradition
a few years ago, riding my age in miles on my birthday.
That's an "odometer" that I want to keep rolling over,
though the modulo zero years are adding up. %^P

That's what we're here for, isn't it?

We? Which We? Oh, we who are not looking for a place
to spew/read prejudice, abuse, threats and profanity. The
others? "Let them eat static" -- Khan.

Jon Meinecke
net.subtle-apteryx

Old November 12th 04, 02:44 PM
Edward Dolan

"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message
"War On Error" wrote

[...]

This is too ridiculous for words. Here is Meinecke talking to himself via a
proxy. I think they are called sock puppets. Anyone here who prefers a
deceptive asshole like him to me is more than welcome to him. One thing you
will never get from him is an honest post.

Old November 13th 04, 12:11 AM
Laurel Thomason

Some of the trolls live in Worthington, Minnesota. A google search of
"edward dolan minnesota" will return their address. Maybe it's time
for gift subscriptions of popular magazines. Or friendly phone calls
inquiring into how they are doing? Or perhaps contacting their ISP
about their behavior. Or contacting their employer. The options are
limitless.
Old November 13th 04, 12:15 AM
skip

"Laurel Thomason" wrote in message
m...
Some of the trolls live in Worthington, Minnesota. A google search of
"edward dolan minnesota" will return their address. Maybe it's time
for gift subscriptions of popular magazines. Or friendly phone calls
inquiring into how they are doing? Or perhaps contacting their ISP
about their behavior. Or contacting their employer. The options are
limitless.

Not cool Laurel.