A.R.B.R. ain't dead yet??????

Old February 24th 05, 03:37 AM
skip

"Freewheeling" wrote in message
"skip" wrote in message
news

"rocketman" wrote in message
news:z_USd.43912$tl3.20581@attbi_s02...
Wrong newsgroup, pal. Take it elsewhere. Don't bother responding; I
won't see it.

p-p-p-plonkage

"Freewheeling" wrote in message
I'm curious as to why you didn't attempt to redirect or hijack the
thread at a point where someone on the left had made some lame
observation about blood for oil, or something? That doesn't seem to
catch your attention.

My point is very simple, and I thought rather nonpartisan. I can,
frankly, find no reason why the notion of national sovereignty seems so
sacrosanct to the left only when the "intruder" is a democratic regime
change, but they apparently haven't raised much of a stink over the
fate of Lebanon all these years, which is, even by their standards, an
illegitimate occupation without even the pretense of national
determination. I've watched various people on the left and it seems to
me that although a very small minority are consistent on this sort of
issue (Kouchner and Hitchens, for example) most are not. Now it seems
to me that if democracy were really as important to the Democracy Now"
folks as they claim, they'd be able to tolerate the kind of
intervention by the US that deposes a tyrant, at least to the point
that the citizens of that country make what appears to be a reasonably
uncoerced choice.

But they don't.

And I therefore have to conclude... am forced do conclude, that
"democracy" is only considered a good thing if it makes politically
correct choices. Otherwise its some sort of "false consciousness."

So anyway, the topic of this thread is what it is. If you don't like
it, you don't have to read it.

--
--Scott
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Freewheeling wrote:

If we can't agree that it's time to end tyranny and totalitarianism
it's doubtful that we'll ever be able to coordinate resolution of any
of these other "wicked problems" that face us.

The real threats are integrated headsets, ISO 587-mm (700D) tires, and
top posting to Usenet groups.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Fortunately or unfortunately, however you might view it, I find myself
slipping into this schadedfreude thing by having warm fuzzy feelings
about the misery of
Rocketman/Sherman.

Heh. Instead of ignoring a thread he views as off topic Tom feels the
compulsion, for some reason, to post meaninglees, but on topic,
non-sequitors. As though the meaning of a post is, irrelevant.

Political correctness has three components:

a. An impossibly narrow scope of what are permissible topics for
discussion. (i.e. even mentioning that men are better at math, or that the
ends of the IQ distribution are predominantly male, is, by definition, not
only not open to discussion, but prima facie evidence of moral
corruption).

b. Even this narrow range is centered on the irrelevant. (The "central"
question isn't what males and females prefer, or what the relative
distribution of their gifts actually is like, but how successfully we can
jam the sciences with women for the sake of some abstract concept of
"equality.")

c. Impossibly harsh consequences that are justified by the obvious
impropriety of violating a. and b.. (Larry Summers, and more importantly
any other faculty who fail to toe the PC line, must not only suffer the
removal of their source of livelihood, but as much humiliation and
disgrace as can possibly be heaped on.)

http://www.fredoneverything.net/FOE_Frame_Column.htm

Comrade, this is all politically incorrect. Sorry.

Enjoyed the fredoneverything column. This guy goes out of his way to be
politically incorrect. Saying things such as "I'd just as soon have a
possum president of Harvard" of all things. Highly disparaging to possums
everywhere.

My suggestion is to recruit Kinky Friedman (of Kinky and the Texas Jew Boys
fame) to be president of Harvard, if it should turn out he doesn't get
elected Governor of Texas in their forthcoming election.

I am confident Kinky could handle the Harvard wussification issues. One of
the items on Kinky's platform is to eliminate political correctness in
Texas.
Kinky's comment about being Governor of Texas is, "How hard could that be?"

skip

P.S. Kinky is an ardent animal lover and vows to outlaw the declawing of
cats in Texas. So as you can see Texans have all kinds of reasons to get
Kinky. Check out the Kinkster he
http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/about.html

Old February 24th 05, 04:54 AM
Freewheeling

Freewheeling wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Freewheeling wrote:

Pure speculation, of course. But my speculation is that the election in
Iraq led to a recognition that he had devoted most of his effort and
treasure to the wrong side of the debate....

I feel sorry for Iraqi chess players. See http://sistani.org/.

However, His Eminence Grand Ayatullah Sayyid Ali Husayni Sistani has yet
to comment on the morality of recumbent bicycles.

Shows what you know. In point of fact it's the rare Arab adult male who
would be caught alive or dead sitting on a bicycle of any kind. It would
be the modesty equivalent of walking around nude in public.

Yawn - I was simply bringing recumbent bicycles into the thread. I will be
shocked, however, if you can find a public comment by Sistani on recumbent
bicycles.

Golly Tom, I thought I *was* talking about bicycles, unless social attitudes
about bikes is off topic too. OK, so you're not actually interested in real
life attitudes about bikes by real life people. You were just... what?
Being snarky in a covert sort of way? Just how narrow *is* that keyhole
we're all supposed to be looking through with you?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 24th 05, 05:13 AM
Tom Sherman

Freewheeling wrote:

Golly Tom, I thought I *was* talking about bicycles, unless social attitudes
about bikes is off topic too. OK, so you're not actually interested in real
life attitudes about bikes by real life people. You were just... what?
Being snarky in a covert sort of way? Just how narrow *is* that keyhole
we're all supposed to be looking through with you?

Alleging Hunter S. Thompson killed himself because elections were held
in Iraq has something to do with bicycles?

Try reading your own posts sometime. They are amazingly full of "I'm
right, your wrong" chest beating statements (declaring you are right
does not mean you are right, despite - some of us are inoculated to this
technique that certain politicians and pundits love so well). Then there
are the statements that indicate that you get vicarious thrills over the
US military killing foreigners. Hint: this virtual testosterone will not
make your bike go faster.

Metaphorically speaking, if you bring your dog over to my lawn to
defecate on it, I will put on rubber gloves and toss the feces back over
the fence into your yard.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 24th 05, 05:50 AM
Mark Leuck

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Metaphorically speaking, if you bring your dog over to my lawn to
defecate on it, I will put on rubber gloves and toss the feces back over
the fence into your yard.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Watching Freewheeling defecate on his own dog might be amusing

Old February 24th 05, 05:52 AM
Mark Leuck

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Will the parts to service them be readily available at any decently
stocked LBS in 20 years time? The general consensus seems to be that
proprietary parts are unfavorable for this reason.

Disclaimer: Of course, I happen to own a bicycle and a trike from a
defunct manufacturer that used plenty of proprietary parts.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

How many people are riding 20 year old bikes?

Old February 24th 05, 06:15 AM
Tom Sherman

Mark Leuck wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Will the parts to service them be readily available at any decently
stocked LBS in 20 years time? The general consensus seems to be that
proprietary parts are unfavorable for this reason.

Disclaimer: Of course, I happen to own a bicycle and a trike from a
defunct manufacturer that used plenty of proprietary parts.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

How many people are riding 20 year old bikes?

Quite a few actually, which is not surprising since the diamond frame
bicycle has not changed significantly since April 1, 1934.

I plan to be riding a 20 year old Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM] 15
years from now.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 24th 05, 10:16 AM
Dave Larrington

Mark Leuck wrote:

How many people are riding 20 year old bikes?

I am at the moment. Well, sort of. The frame dates from 1984, the seat
post from 1983 and the stem from 1982. And the wheels from last month.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old February 24th 05, 02:13 PM
Tim

In article , Mark Leuck wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Will the parts to service them be readily available at any decently
stocked LBS in 20 years time? The general consensus seems to be that
proprietary parts are unfavorable for this reason.

Disclaimer: Of course, I happen to own a bicycle and a trike from a
defunct manufacturer that used plenty of proprietary parts.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

How many people are riding 20 year old bikes?

The bike I owned twenty years ago is now being ridden by one of
my young cousins. My fifteen year old mountain bike is still being
ridden 18 miles a day though I think only the rear hub and the frame are
still original on that. Everything else has either worn out or suffered
terminal crash damage and been replaced at least once

--
Tim.
Old February 24th 05, 04:20 PM
skip

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Will the parts to service them be readily available at any decently
stocked LBS in 20 years time? The general consensus seems to be that
proprietary parts are unfavorable for this reason.

Disclaimer: Of course, I happen to own a bicycle and a trike from a
defunct manufacturer that used plenty of proprietary parts.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

How many people are riding 20 year old bikes?

There are a few of us who prefer retro - Bridgestone's, vintage Italian road
bikes, Paramount's, Raleigh's, Ryan's, etc. My newest bike is a '96 GRR
bought in '98. All the bikes in my personal collection have acquired their
character through the test of time and miles.

I'm not reaching for my check book every time a new bike gets hyped. So I
don't expect to be buying and selling a B*g*a, a N*C*m, or whatever this
year and lose $2,000 to $3,000 on a bike with a couple hundred miles on it.

skip

Old February 24th 05, 09:29 PM
Freewheeling

Freewheeling wrote:

Golly Tom, I thought I *was* talking about bicycles, unless social
attitudes about bikes is off topic too. OK, so you're not actually
interested in real life attitudes about bikes by real life people. You
were just... what? Being snarky in a covert sort of way? Just how narrow
*is* that keyhole we're all supposed to be looking through with you?

Alleging Hunter S. Thompson killed himself because elections were held in
Iraq has something to do with bicycles?

The post you responded to with a "yawn" was about attitudes of Arab males
toward cycling.

Try reading your own posts sometime. They are amazingly full of "I'm
right, your wrong" chest beating statements (declaring you are right does
not mean you are right, despite - some of us are inoculated to this
technique that certain politicians and pundits love so well).

About Iraq, I *was* right. As for the chest-beating thing, that's entirely
in your head. I proposed a theory about Tompson's suicide, and also
acknowledged that it would well be incorrect. Just exactly how is that
"chest beating?" Hyperbole and imprecision don't make you right, either.

Then there are the statements that indicate that you get vicarious thrills
over the US military killing foreigners. Hint: this virtual testosterone
will not make your bike go faster.

I approve of killing terrorists. No apologies. Never will be. The more we
kill, the better. As for "vicarious thrill" that's just a lot of horse
pucky. And what's this dudu about lumping all foreigners in with
Islamo/Fascist terrorists, as though that makes the slightest bit of sense
outside of Michael Moore's fat head?

Metaphorically speaking, if you bring your dog over to my lawn to defecate
on it, I will put on rubber gloves and toss the feces back over the fence
into your yard.

And this is related to your "yawn" how, exactly?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth