Madone record

Old August 30th 05, 11:06 PM
RoadRumors

Default Madone record

OK, during preparation for the '99 TdF and using it as a measure of
fitness, you-know-who supposedly set the (unofficial) record for
climbing the "Madone" outside of Nice (hence the bike name).

Now the rumor (from reasonably reliable sources - a friend of a friend,
etc.) is that there is another pro rider who, at some recent time, has
broken that existing record (again only unofficially).

This rider is presently a particpant in the Vuelta.
Anyone have any more information on this (fact or gossip)?

DR

Old August 30th 05, 11:14 PM
Andrew F Martin

RoadRumors wrote:
OK, during preparation for the '99 TdF and using it as a measure of
fitness, you-know-who supposedly set the (unofficial) record for
climbing the "Madone" outside of Nice (hence the bike name).

Now the rumor (from reasonably reliable sources - a friend of a friend,
etc.) is that there is another pro rider who, at some recent time, has
broken that existing record (again only unofficially).

This rider is presently a particpant in the Vuelta.
Anyone have any more information on this (fact or gossip)?

DR

I've heard similar news on TD. From people who know people, apparently
TD's climbing skills dwarf pretty much everyone else out there. His
power to weight ratio is a good step above Lance's. His issue, so I
hear, is that he has a hard time getting there. Apparently when most
people are able to 'rest' on the long run-ins to the climbs, he's
working his body hard enough that he can't show what he can do on the
climbs. Rumor has it he would destroy the field in a uphill tt. We'll
see.

Old August 30th 05, 11:17 PM
commandotempo

RoadRumors wrote:

Anyone have any more information on this (fact or gossip)?

DR

From ToddWells.net

8/24/05
Got an email from TommyD today. He unoffically broke the record on the
col d mndone and is looking forward to the vuelta.

Old August 30th 05, 11:29 PM
RoadRumors

commandotempo wrote:
RoadRumors wrote:

Anyone have any more information on this (fact or gossip)?

DR

From ToddWells.net

8/24/05
Got an email from TommyD today. He unoffically broke the record on the
col d mndone and is looking forward to the vuelta.

Of course! There I was googling for "Madone" when I should have been
searching for "mndone"
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=%2...arch=&safe=off

DR

Old August 31st 05, 07:08 AM
DA74

Andrew F Martin wrote:
RoadRumors wrote:
[...]

There was some classic stuff on TD written by Decanio on Stolen
Underground. He incessantly called out TD for his prepping
with the assistance of Crawford.
Anyone archive any of Decanio's rants?
-DA74

Old August 31st 05, 07:19 AM
Bob Schwartz

Andrew F Martin wrote:
I've heard similar news on TD. From people who know people, apparently
TD's climbing skills dwarf pretty much everyone else out there. His
power to weight ratio is a good step above Lance's. His issue, so I
hear, is that he has a hard time getting there. Apparently when most
people are able to 'rest' on the long run-ins to the climbs, he's
working his body hard enough that he can't show what he can do on the
climbs. Rumor has it he would destroy the field in a uphill tt. We'll
see.

I don't get this. He can't figure out how to ride in a draft?

If that's his issue then that's a pretty significant issue. And
it rules out his winning pretty much anything. But I'm skeptical.
That seems really bizarre.

Bob Schwartz

Old August 31st 05, 07:29 AM
Jet

On 30 Aug 2005 23:08:35 -0700, "DA74" wrote:

Andrew F Martin wrote:
RoadRumors wrote:
[...]

You can find them on the wayback machine unless a site has blocked storage.
Usually find several archived copies there, keep trying and one usually
works..

www.archive.org

-jet

Old August 31st 05, 07:56 AM
matabala

"RoadRumors" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, during preparation for the '99 TdF and using it as a measure of
fitness, you-know-who supposedly set the (unofficial) record for
climbing the "Madone" outside of Nice (hence the bike name).

Now the rumor (from reasonably reliable sources - a friend of a friend,
etc.) is that there is another pro rider who, at some recent time, has
broken that existing record (again only unofficially).

This rider is presently a particpant in the Vuelta.
Anyone have any more information on this (fact or gossip)?

DR

There have been reports of recent Doughboy sightings near Nice.

Old August 31st 05, 10:59 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:19:00 -0000, Bob Schwartz
wrote:

I don't get this. He can't figure out how to ride in a draft?

If that's his issue then that's a pretty significant issue. And
it rules out his winning pretty much anything. But I'm skeptical.
That seems really bizarre.

It's not that strange. It's easy to draft in training, or in races
where you're familiar with what's going on. But the bigger, more
intense the race the harder it is to get the best protection. You see
it all the time, even in local races -- guys who sit on the edge of
the field because they're nervous. Or who don't ride close enough.
They're at a disadvantage to other riders who are drafting better.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old August 31st 05, 02:35 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 05:59:28 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

It's not that strange. It's easy to draft in training, or in races
where you're familiar with what's going on. But the bigger, more
intense the race the harder it is to get the best protection. You see
it all the time, even in local races -- guys who sit on the edge of
the field because they're nervous. Or who don't ride close enough.
They're at a disadvantage to other riders who are drafting better.

If you are really bad, however, you can ride in the middle and
everyone gives you plenty of room. I don't know what they would have
done if I were still up there on lap two, but I never found out...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...