Madone 5.2 SL

Old September 14th 05, 04:53 AM
jim beam

Default Madone 5.2 SL

Hans C. wrote:
snip
I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

and yet, some will still not believe you...

Old September 14th 05, 06:26 AM
41

Larry Coon wrote:
Hans C. wrote:

Secondly, any
thoughts good/ bad or personal experience with the Madone. I currrently
ride a custom steel frame. I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

I went through the same experience -- I had always ridden steel,
and decided to make the switch this time around. I'm glad I did--
the initial feeling you've already experienced was cemented after
I got used to the carbon bike and then went back to the steel
bike for a couple of rides.

Fascinating. Did the two of you make the comparisons with bicycles
having the same geometries, fit, saddles, bars and bar tape, gloves,
wheels, tires, tire pressures, shorts, and roads?

Old September 14th 05, 07:58 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I am in very good shape and am looking to add bicycling to my repetoire
of running and weight training. I am also looking to join various
bicycling groups around Los Angeles. I don't have too much to spend
($500 or less), but I'd like a decent road bike not only for commuting
purposes, but also for distance bicycling.

I'm not sure if this is vital information, but I am female, 5'9" tall,
and around 135lbs. I visited a bike shop and the guy told me that I'm a
"medium" (whatever that may mean) and that I have a stand over height
ranging from 50-53. He didn't get into more specifics than that.

The 5.2SL is the killer bike in the line. As someone else pointed out, the
5.2SL *is* the 5.9SL frameset... the frameset that sells for $2999.99. The
completely '06 5.2SL sells for $3199.99. If you can find one of last year's
models, they're about $200 less. Either way it's a lot of bang for the buck,
as the Ultegra components work great (and definitely don't get the respect
they deserve), and the RaceLite wheels can be upgrades to the X-Lite as
found on the 5.9SL for less than $400 (a popular upgrade for many of our
customers, as it gives them the two things from the 5.9SL that determine
most of the ride quality of a bike- the frameset and wheels).

Do keep in mind that I'm not just slightly biased on this one, but
completely so. We sold more 5.2SLs last year than any other dealer in the
country, and had such a huge backorder for them that we got the last of our
'05 models just a couple weeks ago... bikes that we'd ordered last October.

Someone else mentioned the 5.5. It's OK, but for my money, I prefer the
nicer, lighter frame of the 5.2SL over the DuraAce components found on the
5.5. But that's just me, others will have differing priorities, which is why
the different models exist.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 14th 05, 11:28 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:53:28 -0700, jim beam
wrote:

Hans C. wrote:
snip
I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

and yet, some will still not believe you...

Yeah. I don't.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old September 14th 05, 03:16 PM
tntcoach

TIA-Alan,

I'm an 05' Trek Madone 5.2SL owner. Here's my story of woe...

To say Trek has an issue with frame finish quality is an
understatement. My frame looked like a 3rd grader finished it. I was
so excited to buy this bike, my first "high-end" road bike that I
didn't even bother to inspect the frame when I decided to buy it. I
did notice defects in the finish on the fork and let the store owner
know about it. He said he would talk to his Trek rep and see what the
deal is. As soon as I got the bike home I noticed about a dozen other
defects in the finish. Besides the fork, which looked like the paint
gun ran out of paint and just spattered its remnants, the frame itself
had about 8 to 10 air bubbles under the clear-coat. The decorative
striping was off center and wasn't parallel to the other striping.
There was an actual fingerprint in the clear-coat on the top tube.
Under the down-tube you could see where the painter overlapped the
striping and left the tape folded up. Basically the frame was crap.

I expressed my issue with both Trek USA and my local bike shop. Both
told me that they would have to take my frame back and strip it and
repaint it. This process could take 1 to 2 months. I didn't exactly
like this idea and just wanted a new frame. Trek wouldn't do it, but
my LBS would. The local Trek store owner allowed me to trade my 05'
Madone 5.2SL in for a 05' Trek Project One SL, which is a custom
paintjob and is the 110 OCLV frame. This cost me an additional $500.

The story doesn't end there.

I had the Shimano FlightDeck installed. It didn't work. They replaced
the computer and harness, still didn't work. They had to order new
Ultergra shifters, still didn't. 30 days later, two sets of shifters
and 4 sets of computer/harness exchanges and I finally have a 100%
working bike. I did get an upgrade to Dura Ace shifters out of the
deal.

My point in this long post is this: Trek is so overwhelmed with orders
that they're churning out crap finished bikes. Nothing beats the 110
OCLV frame, but the rest of the bike has issues. If you buy a Trek,
take the time to inspect it head to toe and if you're putting the
flight deck on it make sure the shifter's computer chip is working.

Other bikes: The Specialized Roubioux is a comfort bike, more upright.
The Tarmac is more race inspired but more $$. For a little more money
Serrotta makes one hell of a custom built bike. Cervelo is also
turning out some nice bikes for the money.

Good luck and be carefull with Trek.
-Mike

Old September 14th 05, 03:42 PM
Larry Coon

C Wright wrote:

You may want to check out the Madone 5.5. It is in basically the same price
range as the 5.2SL and the Shimano components are mostly all
Dura-Ace. The 5.5 is not yet listed on Trek's web site but dealers have it
or can get it.

Ah, so they -do- still offer something along the lines of
the 5500.

Larry Coon
University of California

The NBA Salary Cap FAQ:
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm
Old September 14th 05, 04:06 PM
Hans C.

I will inspect any frame I consider. Do you think you just got a lemon?
Most folks are pretty bullish on Ultegra and I have Ultergra 600 on my old
steel frame and it has worked very over the years.

Thanks again.

oups.com...

Old September 14th 05, 04:10 PM

41 wrote:
Larry Coon wrote:
Hans C. wrote:

Secondly, any
thoughts good/ bad or personal experience with the Madone. I currrently
ride a custom steel frame. I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

I went through the same experience -- I had always ridden steel,
and decided to make the switch this time around. I'm glad I did--
the initial feeling you've already experienced was cemented after
I got used to the carbon bike and then went back to the steel
bike for a couple of rides.

Fascinating. Did the two of you make the comparisons with bicycles
having the same geometries, fit, saddles, bars and bar tape, gloves,
wheels, tires, tire pressures, shorts, and roads?

And shoes and pedals and sunglasses and helmets! And tailwind/headwind
and temperature. The wind, temperature and what I am wearing while
riding affect my comfort more than the bike.

Old September 14th 05, 04:10 PM
Larry Coon

Dave wrote:

Why weren't you happy with Ultegra? Just curious...

The glib answer is because I had always used Campy Record
until then, and I was accustomed to a certain performance
level.

But really, I did give Ultegra a shot. I was getting chain
rub on the front changer when climbing, which neither I nor
anyone else could fix. The front changer, designed to work
with either double or triple, just didn't seem to trim to
the right spots. Plus, the shifter just didn't seem to
work right all the time. The rest is mainly just aesthetics,
but as I said, I was used to a certain level with Campy.

I have bikes with both DA and Ultegra, never really noticed a
difference. I'm assuming this is all 10 speed you're talking about?

The Ultegra was 9, but I switched to Dura-Ace 10. I started
out just replacing the crankset, but I still wasn't happy
with the shifters so I went ahead and did the full 10-speed
upgrade (fd, rd, cassette, chain). After I did that, I went
ahead and did the brakes, just to be complete.

I actually ended up parlaying the 5200 plus my old bike into
my current configuration. I parted out my old bike (a Somec)
and sold it on eBay, used the money to buy the DA-10 group,
sold off the Ultegra components, used that to upgrade the
wheels from Race-Lite to Race-X-Lite, sold the Race-Lites and
used that to buy a Ciclosport HAC-4.

Larry Coon
University of California
Old September 14th 05, 04:56 PM
Larry Coon

41 wrote:

Fascinating. Did the two of you make the comparisons with bicycles
having the same geometries, fit, saddles, bars and bar tape, gloves,
wheels, tires, tire pressures, shorts, and roads?

*slaps forehead*

I forgot to eliminate the bar tape variable!

Larry Coon
University of California

Madone record RoadRumors Racing 22 September 1st 05 07:07 AM
[Frame question] Orbea Orca or Madone 5.9 ? NetWiz Techniques 29 August 24th 05 08:50 PM
Trek Madone doki UK 0 May 25th 05 09:55 PM
FS: Trek Madone complete bike 56cm Robbie Brown Marketplace 2 October 16th 04 08:18 AM
Madone no more... Steve Blankenship Racing 1 July 21st 03 06:54 PM