Madone 5.2 SL

Old September 15th 05, 07:59 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Madone 5.2 SL

The "frame" wasn't crap, but the finish sounds less-than-desirable. Treks
won't have the finish of an import frame, for several reasons.

First, the paints that are legal overseas have long been essentially
banned in the US, for environmental reasons. Wisconsin in particular has
some of the most-stringent smokestack regulations (plant emissions) in
the country, and the severely limits the types (and discourages the
amount) of paint used. Yes, you can still powder coat, but powder-coating
carbon fiber isn't a wise idea (too much heat).

Curious, I thought the consensus was that European paint jobs were
inferior. Torelli imports euro bikes unpainted and has them painted in
the US to please us fussy customers - at least that's the way my bike
came - and it's not powder coating as far as I can tell.

Mark

Mark: I can't tell you why Italian paint jobs often lead much to be desired.
My 1973 Cinelli, currently my "rain" bike, had a beautiful orange paint job.
For a very short while. They hadn't adequately prepped the frame after the
initial chrome flashing (Cinellis had polished chrome dropouts & lugs, but
the rest of the frame was left in a "raw" chrome state, and painted over),
so the orange paint, within a year, was flaking off in many places. Looked
gorgeous, but zero durability. And from what I've heard, things haven't
improved greatly since.

Bill at Torelli is probably spending as much on his paint jobs as most
factories spend on the entire frameset. Very good stuff. And I doubt they
come from a facility that would be under as stringent requirements as what
Trek faces, perhaps solely due to smaller quantities.

But I wasn't clear enough in my earlier comment as to where the "nicer"
paint jobs were coming from. Primarily China, of all places. Some pretty
good finish work being done there, and I doubt they have to worry too much
about smokestack regulations.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 15th 05, 02:05 PM
Paul Cassel

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I'm surprised you guys left out color. Look at how much more money Canon
gets for lenses, just by painting them white. Obviously there's no
difference in optics, focusing speed or durability. In cameras, just like
bikes, everything's exactly the same, the only differences are that some
people believe otherwise and spend more money for something.

Canon's L lenses, the white ones, are significantly better in optics
than its common lens line. Nikon also has a premium lens line.

While the white color surely does have some marketing force, the initial
reason was functional (heat reflection).

Also attractiveness does seem to have a lot of power in what one wishes
to buy. See the various wheel threads I, in my short time here, have
seen. Then also see how many folks go on about how they lust after the
beautiful paint on bikes like some Italian brands.
Old September 19th 05, 05:01 PM
tntcoach

Mike-
I agree with you. I guess I shouldn't say the frame was crap, just the
finish. The frame itself is perfection in design. "Looks" aren't the
most important thing to me when purchasing a bike, but when I spend
$4000 on a bike I expect the finish to reflect the care and quality
that should be in a $4000 bike. My LBS did do a great job of handling
my issues. I think Trek just needs to slow down and review their
Quality Control standards.

Old September 20th 05, 03:11 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Hans C. wrote:
I am considering the purchase of a stock Madone 5.2SL. The only other
carbon bike I've tested is a VERY expensive Scott. They rode very
differently and I prefer the Trek. Two questions. First, can any of you
folks recommend other carbon frames that I should consider?

Look, Calfee, Parlee, Merckx, Orbea, Pinarello, lots of them out there.
Also Specialized, Giant...lots.

Secondly, any
thoughts good/ bad or personal experience with the Madone. I currrently
ride a custom steel frame. I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

TIA-Alan

Old September 20th 05, 03:14 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Larry Coon wrote:
Hans C. wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a stock Madone 5.2SL. The only other
carbon bike I've tested is a VERY expensive Scott. They rode very
differently and I prefer the Trek. Two questions. First, can any of you
folks recommend other carbon frames that I should consider? Secondly, any
thoughts good/ bad or personal experience with the Madone. I currrently
ride a custom steel frame. I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

I went through the same experience -- I had always ridden steel,
and decided to make the switch this time around. I'm glad I did--
the initial feeling you've already experienced was cemented after
I got used to the carbon bike and then went back to the steel
bike for a couple of rides.

I guess this is where some of us will say-YMMV. I have a Merckx
MXLeader, got carbon frame(calfee Luna), and altho I like the ride of
the Calfee a lot, it, as well as rides on many other carbon
frames(Look, Merckx, etc) was not 'amazing' when compared to the
Merckx.

Mine is the '04 version of the 5.2, the 5200. I think it's an
exceptional bike for the money if you're happy with Ultegra. I
wasn't, and I ended up swapping the group out for Dura-Ace. There
used to be a middle option called the 5500, which was the same OCLV
120 frame & same wheels, but with Dura-Ace components. Now it
looks like if you want Dura-Ace, the next step up is the 5.9, which
also has the OCLV 110 frame, X-Lite wheels, carbon bar & stem, etc.,
for which you pay an extra $2,100.

Larry Coon
University of California

Old September 21st 05, 12:35 AM
Geezer Boy

On 19 Sep 2005 09:01:17 -0700, "tntcoach" wrote:

Mike-
I agree with you. I guess I shouldn't say the frame was crap, just the
finish. The frame itself is perfection in design. "Looks" aren't the
most important thing to me when purchasing a bike, but when I spend
$4000 on a bike I expect the finish to reflect the care and quality
that should be in a $4000 bike. My LBS did do a great job of handling
my issues. I think Trek just needs to slow down and review their
Quality Control standards.

From what you wrote and described, IF it is just as you described,
okay, I'll say it: For that price, IMO, the frame WAS crap. TREK
obviously doesn't give a crap, in spite of all that silly apologist
bagful of excuses. Excuses satisfy only those who make them, and TREK
has no excuse for letting something like that pass the eyes of a final
inspector before it goes out the door. None. You're spending four
thousands dollars on a bike. This is a good example of why we should
buy things with credit cards when we special order, in order to get
some protection from irresponsible manufacturers.

BTW, I own two TREKS both with great finishes that cost only half that
much or less.

Geezer Boy

Madone record RoadRumors Racing 22 September 1st 05 07:07 AM
[Frame question] Orbea Orca or Madone 5.9 ? NetWiz Techniques 29 August 24th 05 08:50 PM
Trek Madone doki UK 0 May 25th 05 09:55 PM
FS: Trek Madone complete bike 56cm Robbie Brown Marketplace 2 October 16th 04 08:18 AM
Madone no more... Steve Blankenship Racing 1 July 21st 03 06:54 PM