Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

Old August 15th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

Default Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

They're printed on plain paper! And they're so small, and packed with
somewhat superfluous info (who the hell cares about restaurants along
the way, really).

Just disappointed. They should be laminated, at the least, or printed
on sturdier paper -- this is for touring, after all! Also, they really
should be bigger -- perhaps better as a spiral-bound book? And more
comprehensive -- I find googlemaps more useful!

Old August 15th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

And you are somewhat of an idiot.

The maps are indeed on paper but you can spill coffe or most anything
slese on them and it wipes riught off so I really doubt that you evevn
have them.

They are meticulously researched for the best routes for cyclists to
take. the next time you ride cross country wihich is proibably rather
unlikely. just use any old road map you happen to have. or just a road
atlas. that will be real easy to read as you are riding.

Old August 16th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Rick

NYC XYZ wrote:
They're printed on plain paper! And they're so small, and packed with
somewhat superfluous info (who the hell cares about restaurants along
the way, really).

1) All paper is not created equal. The paper we wrote notes on in a
previous career was constructed so that it became 'oatmeal' when
exposed to liquid - good for its purpose. The paper that Adventure
Cycling uses for the maps is waterproof. Not plain paper ...
waterproof paper.

2) Some of us do like to stop at restaurants, at least on occasions.
The maps are not just for the oatmeal and gruel crowd.

Just disappointed. They should be laminated, at the least, or printed
on sturdier paper -- this is for touring, after all! Also, they really
should be bigger -- perhaps better as a spiral-bound book?

And if they are bigger or spiral bound into a book how would you fit
them into your handlebar map holder?

And more
comprehensive -- I find googlemaps more useful!

And how useful is Google Maps from the handlebar of your bike?

- rick

Old August 16th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Rick wrote:
And how useful is Google Maps from the handlebar of your bike?

One must carry a laptop on tour so one can read and post to the Usenet
cycling groups while at rest stops.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Old August 16th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
recycled-one

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rick wrote:
And how useful is Google Maps from the handlebar of your bike?

One must carry a laptop on tour so one can read and post to the Usenet
cycling groups while at rest stops.

I've often fantasized about a dream bike with handlebar mounted notebook pc
with cell/satellite connections.

Old August 16th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Rich Clark

Rick wrote:
And how useful is Google Maps from the handlebar of your bike?

One must carry a laptop on tour so one can read and post to the Usenet
cycling groups while at rest stops.

I've often fantasized about a dream bike with handlebar mounted notebook
pc with cell/satellite connections.

Sounds more like a nightmare to me -- in which the next thing is that I have
to start answering urgent emails from the office while doing a solo century
through Lancaster County!

RichC (who does carry a cell phone on rides, but it's turned OFF!)

Old August 16th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
recycled-one

Rick wrote:
And how useful is Google Maps from the handlebar of your bike?

One must carry a laptop on tour so one can read and post to the Usenet
cycling groups while at rest stops.

I've often fantasized about a dream bike with handlebar mounted notebook
pc with cell/satellite connections.

Sounds more like a nightmare to me -- in which the next thing is that I
have to start answering urgent emails from the office while doing a solo
century through Lancaster County!

That isn't a concern for me, but I can see how it might be a negative for
those with employers demanding all-the-time access. OTOH wouldn't it be cool
to be able to cycle when you are on the clock and doing your job?

Ideally the device would be between a notebook computer and a
Blackberry/Trio in size with some sort of dual thumb controls. It goes
without saying that it would have to be weather and shock resistant.

Old August 16th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Thomas Wentworth

Just wondering ??? Can one purchase the Adventure Tour maps on a CD Rom?
With so many carrying laptops on tour these days, the maps are rather
superfluous. I know, I know ,,, would not be able to get the map out during
the day. And, I don't think I would carry a printer. But, if I was to
carry a laptop and with the CD Rom .. just a thought.

Thing about laptops, you can use them for so much. Emails, look stuff up
,,, but best of all.. Watch movies in your tent at night. I love this.

=========
ups.com...

Old August 16th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Gary Fritz

"recycled-one" wrote:
One must carry a laptop on tour so one can read and post to the
Usenet cycling groups while at rest stops.

I've often fantasized about a dream bike with handlebar mounted
notebook pc with cell/satellite connections.

It's been done -- 23 years ago, in fact.

See http://microship.com/bike/winnebiko/across.html, part of a site that
describes the adventures of Steve Roberts, bike nomad extraordinaire. In
1983 he hit the road on a recumbent loaded with with, among other things, a
Radio Shack Model 100 laptop and a radio link to Compuserve. (Though
usually he had to depend on phone links to upload/download his email.) The
bike's loaded weight varied from 135 to 195 lbs (ouch!!) during the 10,000
miles he rode it.

Within a few years he evolved his bike to include several computers, a
packet-radio networking connection, a specialized chording keyboard on the
handlebars that allowed him to write while riding, motion-sensing security
system and Votrax speech synthesizer ("Please do not touch me!" :-) and
lots more. The guy was nuts. It's pretty amazing reading.

Gary
Old August 17th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ron Wallenfang

I have a rather different take. The maps are fine; it's the routes I didn't
especially like. IMHO, their routes take too many secondary roads that, on
the whole, are rougher, hillier, more bereft of services, and with a greater
incidence of aggressive dogs, than the US highways I prefer. That's a big
price to pay to get reduced traffic, and I'm far from convinced it's any
safer, because the US highways usually have at least partially paved
shoulders. My "ideal" route is a US highway running rather near an
Interstate. The I road gets the thru traffic, the US highway is still a
good road, the width of the right of way and amount of traffic deters dogs,
and the motels and other services at the I-exits are readily accessible.

ups.com...