Metal "ball" in Campy skewer lever - what's it for?

Old June 2nd 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Larry[_2_]

Default Metal "ball" in Campy skewer lever - what's it for?

Hi,

Last night, I took ownership of my "lifetime" bike, a Waterford RS 14
with Campy Chorus componentry. I'm baffled by what appears to be a
metal ball embedded in the plastic/carbon/composite/whatever-it-is
lever of the skewer.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this? I haven't ever seen such a
critter, but I haven't been keeping up that well.
--

When trying to contact me, be polite. Rudeness will not get you anywhere.

Larry
Old June 3rd 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jun 2, 11:56 am, Larry wrote:
Hi,

Last night, I took ownership of my "lifetime" bike, a Waterford RS 14
with Campy Chorus componentry. I'm baffled by what appears to be a
metal ball embedded in the plastic/carbon/composite/whatever-it-is
lever of the skewer.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this? I haven't ever seen such a
critter, but I haven't been keeping up that well.
--

When trying to contact me, be polite. Rudeness will not get you anywhere.

Larry

2007? The silver thing toward the end of the QR lever? The stud that
holds the 2 'halves' together?

Old June 4th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Larry[_2_]

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 05:13:30 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

On Jun 2, 11:56 am, Larry wrote:
Hi,

Last night, I took ownership of my "lifetime" bike, a Waterford RS 14
with Campy Chorus componentry. I'm baffled by what appears to be a
metal ball embedded in the plastic/carbon/composite/whatever-it-is
lever of the skewer.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this? I haven't ever seen such a
critter, but I haven't been keeping up that well.
--

When trying to contact me, be polite. Rudeness will not get you anywhere.

Larry

2007? The silver thing toward the end of the QR lever? The stud that
holds the 2 'halves' together?

I was just about to reply to my own post to add that it's not actually
a ball, but a short piece of metal. I should have looked closer, but I
still didn't have a clue what it was for.

Yes, it is a 2007 and it is the silver thing toward the end of the QR
lever. I was hoping that you would reply as you have helped me out on
matters Campagnolo before. Thank you very much for the explanation!

larry

Old June 5th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Larry wrote:
I was just about to reply to my own post to add that it's not actually
a ball, but a short piece of metal. I should have looked closer, but I
still didn't have a clue what it was for.
Yes, it is a 2007 and it is the silver thing toward the end of the QR
lever. I was hoping that you would reply as you have helped me out on
matters Campagnolo before. Thank you very much for the explanation!

There's no "2007 Chorus" hub so we think you mean the current Record
black skewer with a chromed pin which holds the skewer handle segments
together.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old June 5th 07, 10:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Larry[_2_]

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:53:15 -0500, A Muzi
wrote:

There's no "2007 Chorus" hub so we think you mean the current Record
black skewer with a chromed pin which holds the skewer handle segments
together.

Right; according to the 2007 Campy book that my LBS gave me, the
Chorus group comes with Record hubs. I didn't know which group-set did
the skewer or whether it made a difference.

larry