New B&M Lights with Wide Beam and Daytime Mode Available

Old November 14th 13, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default New B&M Lights with Wide Beam and Daytime Mode Available

I think these
http://www.starbike.com/en/busch-and-mueller-lumotec-iq-cyo/ are the
lights that Andre was talking about (the ones with premium in their
name). They have a much wider beam and there's a model with daytime
running lights. No flash mode for daytime use unfortunately, but perhaps
someone can modify one to add a flash mode for use outside Germany.

While these still don't meet all the requirements for lights (Google
"Choosing a Headlight for Your Bicycle" and see the sixth result) and
aren't as good as the Supernova E3 Triple
http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e3_triple.html for commuting,
they are definitely a huge step up from previous B&M lights, and are a
lot less expensive than the Supernova E3 Triple.
Old November 14th 13, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

http://bbandm.wordpress.com/2013/08/...e-advertising/
Old November 14th 13, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:18:59 PM UTC, sms wrote:
I think these

http://www.starbike.com/en/busch-and-mueller-lumotec-iq-cyo/ are the

lights that Andre was talking about (the ones with premium in their

name). They have a much wider beam and there's a model with daytime

running lights. No flash mode for daytime use unfortunately, but perhaps

someone can modify one to add a flash mode for use outside Germany.

While these still don't meet all the requirements for lights (Google

"Choosing a Headlight for Your Bicycle" and see the sixth result) and

aren't as good as the Supernova E3 Triple

http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e3_triple.html for commuting,

they are definitely a huge step up from previous B&M lights, and are a

lot less expensive than the Supernova E3 Triple.

Yup, that's them. The proper commuter lamp is the Premium R model, for "reflector" because it has the reflector built in. "Plus" means it has a built-in stand light function to keep the lamp on when you're temporarily stopped.."Senso" means a built-in light sensor switches it on when ambient light levels are low. The lifetime of the LEDs in these lamps is 50K hours plus, so you can run the lamps permanently, just leaving them on day and night, so you don't need the sense function but you generally have to take it if you want the other desirable functions.

Whether these new lamps are desirable -- speaking now to cyclists who aren't BUMMbuddies (who always have to have the latest BUMM lamps, and think they're the greatest because they're the latest) -- depends on whether BUMM have fixed the problems of the wretched recent series of Cyo, most notably the gross hotspot.

Andre Jute
Old November 14th 13, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/13/2013 3:34 PM, Andre Jute wrote:

Whether these new lamps are desirable -- speaking now to cyclists who aren't BUMMbuddies (who always have to have the latest BUMM lamps, and think they're the greatest because they're the latest) -- depends on whether BUMM have fixed the problems of the wretched recent series of Cyo, most notably the gross hotspot.

Companies are finally learning to design optics specifically for LEDs
rather than trying to re-use the optics that they used for decades on
incandescent lamps. They also seem to now realize that they have
sufficient light that they don't have to focus all the available light
onto a small patch of road directly in front of the bicycle.

The last few lights I've purchased have had almost no hotspot. You can
see a slight hotspot if you look really closely but you'd have to be
actually looking for it. All of these have had spot to zoom optics.

The next goal of B&M should be to offer a version of their product with
optics and features that are highly desirable but that are not allowed
to be sold in Germany. Either they can follow what Supernova did and
state that the lights are not for on-road use, or they can do a version
for the rest-of-world with symmetrical optics and a flash mode. It would
greatly expand their TAM.

Old November 14th 13, 01:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 11/13/2013 06:18 PM, sms wrote:
I think these
http://www.starbike.com/en/busch-and-mueller-lumotec-iq-cyo/ are the
lights that Andre was talking about (the ones with premium in their
name). They have a much wider beam and there's a model with daytime
running lights. No flash mode for daytime use unfortunately, but perhaps
someone can modify one to add a flash mode for use outside Germany.

Why are you constantly obsessing over flash modes?

While these still don't meet all the requirements for lights (Google
"Choosing a Headlight for Your Bicycle" and see the sixth result) and
aren't as good as the Supernova E3 Triple
http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e3_triple.html for commuting,

You misspelled "are likely far superior to the Supernova E3 Triple for
commuting although not as good off road"

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 14th 13, 01:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 11/13/2013 07:34 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Why the **** would they take a perfectly good light and give it a
****tier beam pattern and a useless flash mode? Do you have any idea
what makes a good headlight, Mr. Self-Proclaimed Expert, or do you just
talk talk talk and never listen?

Old November 14th 13, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:03:09 AM UTC-8, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 11/13/2013 06:18 PM, sms wrote:

I think these

http://www.starbike.com/en/busch-and-mueller-lumotec-iq-cyo/ are the

lights that Andre was talking about (the ones with premium in their

name). They have a much wider beam and there's a model with daytime

running lights. No flash mode for daytime use unfortunately, but perhaps

someone can modify one to add a flash mode for use outside Germany.

Why are you constantly obsessing over flash modes?

While these still don't meet all the requirements for lights (Google

"Choosing a Headlight for Your Bicycle" and see the sixth result) and

aren't as good as the Supernova E3 Triple

http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e3_triple.html for commuting,

You misspelled "are likely far superior to the Supernova E3 Triple for

commuting although not as good off road"

A flasher can be useful this time of year when my commute is in dreary conditions, and a solid beam can be lost in the light noise. I switch to flasher mode in a few places along my commute route. I would like that option on a dyno light, although it is not critical.

I also like a lot of light when riding in the rain at night, so the Super Nova makes sense. OTOH, I don't think a truly symmetrical beam is very efficient. I've never used a light with a hard cut-off, so I don't know whether I would miss the spew of my current light (which has some, minor beam shaping). I do know that the spew is handy for the climbing and descending portions of my hilly route home, but I waste a lot of lumens lighting the tree boughs and sidewalks when riding home on my flatter routes. Someone should design a light with variable beam patterns.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 14th 13, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/14/2013 7:33 AM, Jay Beattie wrote:

A flasher can be useful this time of year when my commute is in dreary conditions, and a solid beam can be lost in the light noise. I switch to flasher mode in a few places along my commute route. I would like that option on a dyno light, although it is not critical.

I also like a lot of light when riding in the rain at night, so the Super Nova makes sense. OTOH, I don't think a truly symmetrical beam is very efficient. I've never used a light with a hard cut-off, so I don't know whether I would miss the spew of my current light (which has some, minor beam shaping). I do know that the spew is handy for the climbing and descending portions of my hilly route home, but I waste a lot of lumens lighting the tree boughs and sidewalks when riding home on my flatter routes. Someone should design a light with variable beam patterns.

I rarely see any adult commuters without a daytime flasher anymore (OTOH
I see a lot of school-age kids riding with no lights at all, day or night).

It would be incredibly clueless to not use a flasher if your lights have
that functionality, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a battery powered
light without a flash mode.

While I almost never see anyone with dynamo powered lights, for those
that do choose that option they can either use a Planet Bike Blaze
Dynamo in the daytime (to get the flash mode) and switch to a Supernova
E3 Triple at night (to get sufficient illumination and an optimal beam
shape) or simply add a separate battery powered light for flash mode in
the daytime.

The thing about a powerful daytime flasher is that it helps prevent
drivers from doing stupid things. Not always of course, but enough to
make using one a very intelligent thing to do.

Old November 14th 13, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 14/11/2013 15:44, sms wrote:
[...]

Anecdote from Tuesday evening. Driving along an unlit A-road at night. I
saw the cyclist with a normal headlight. 30 or so seconds later I saw a
brief flash out of the corner of my eye, and realised that was a cyclist
I'd not seen at all coming the other way. His flasher was hidden in the
noise of the cars coming towards me.

Old November 14th 13, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:55:28 PM UTC, Clive George wrote:

Anecdote from Tuesday evening. Driving along an unlit A-road at night. I

saw the cyclist with a normal headlight. 30 or so seconds later I saw a

brief flash out of the corner of my eye, and realised that was a cyclist

I'd not seen at all coming the other way. His flasher was hidden in the

noise of the cars coming towards me.

It depends on the strength of the flasher. I was out walking last night and on a busy road where with good lamps I don't go in the rush hour I saw a guy on his bike with a front flasher I didn't notice until he was almost past me. As you say, lost in the noise.

On the other hand, coming around the corner of a building at the hospital in broad if overcast daylight, the first thing I saw was a front flasher a hundred paces and then some away. I stood stock still watching it, and a driver would have to be blind, deaf and stupid to miss it. I don't know what it was. The girl's rear flasher was the one I recommend for those who insist on battery lamps, the Cateye LD-TL1100; you can do much better these days by getting a hub dynamo and BUMM's Line Plus and leaving it on 24/7 (it lacks a blink mode but is bright enough to make up for it).

Andre Jute