Appologis to Strava

Old April 13th 20, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Appologis to Strava

I installed a high end bike computer yesterday and doing the run today I ended up with 21.4 miles.

Strava showed 21.3 for several rides.

I think that my 22.6 miles was because I was extending the ride to a local coffee shop each Saturday to keep one of the riders company before he went back to his retirement home. And the extra 1/10th mile is because of a drop under an underpass where large commercial aircraft cross the road and another small climb These give you more distance with less GPS position changes..

So it would appear that Strava and their GPS positioning is spot on. While my bike computer can vary a little compared to distance around turns etc.

Now on rides with lots of climbing and descending you would still have significant errors it wouldn't be large enough to worry about.
Old April 14th 20, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
I installed a high end bike computer yesterday and doing the run today I
ended up with 21.4 miles.

Strava showed 21.3 for several rides.

I think that my 22.6 miles was because I was extending the ride to a
local coffee shop each Saturday to keep one of the riders company before
he went back to his retirement home. And the extra 1/10th mile is because
of a drop under an underpass where large commercial aircraft cross the
road and another small climb These give you more distance with less GPS position changes.

So it would appear that Strava and their GPS positioning is spot on.
While my bike computer can vary a little compared to distance around turns etc.

Now on rides with lots of climbing and descending you would still have
significant errors it wouldn't be large enough to worry about.

I’ve never noticed any distance wobbles using Strava myself though I know
others have noticed small variations in the past though I think there is
better correcting now.

Did used to notice the odd improbable max speed but again haven’t noticed
any in the last few years, I’m still using the same GPS computer so the
hardware hasn’t changed.

Roger Merriman