Why are they allowed to block Cycle Route 1 and the Thames Path?

Old January 13th 12, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Why are they allowed to block Cycle Route 1 and the Thames Path?

On Jan 13, 7:16*am, Bertie Wooster wrote:

Sometimes I wonder how people manage with jobs like unblocking toilets
and clearing grime from gutters, but I am very grateful such people
exist: they serve me well so I can enjoy my leisure pursuits.- Hide quoted text -

Indeed, although I am in the British Gas Homecare 400 scheme as I want
proper professionals to unblock my drains, not bodge job merchants
with no qualifications.

--
Simon Mason
Old January 13th 12, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 13/01/2012 19:45, Simon Mason wrote:
On Jan 13, 7:16 am, Bertie wrote:

Sometimes I wonder how people manage with jobs like unblocking toilets
and clearing grime from gutters, but I am very grateful such people
exist: they serve me well so I can enjoy my leisure pursuits.- Hide quoted text -

Indeed, although I am in the British Gas Homecare 400 scheme

I suppose that suits the incompetent & gullible.

Do they sort out dangerous wiring? Or bodged laminate flooring? Or
**** poor plumbing?

University
Old January 13th 12, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jan 13, 8:02*am, Bertie Wooster wrote:

The bathroom used to be four distinct spaces: bathroom, separate WC,
airing cupboard and a bit of corridor. It now has a travertine and
marble floor, underfloor heating and a wet room area: it's a luxury we
deserve.- Hide quoted text -

Like my sauna then - although I would prefer a Turkish bath.

--
Simon Mason
Old January 13th 12, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jan 13, 7:16*am, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:07:36 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Jan 12, 10:10*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:
.

Are you not going abroad this year at all?

We're close to skint, having spent something in the region of £130,000
on our house refurbishment.

Sheesh and I am balking at a £2000 bathroom.

Our bathroom tiles came to £700; taps £390 shower, £190 sink, £416
bath; £477 washstand; £392 cabinet; £176 mirror; £105 pan, £64
cistern; £450 wet room shower screen. To save costs, we kept the
original claw foot 1930s bath and had it re-enameled for £550.

And, of course, we didn't want any old handyman fitting all this
lovely stuff. We paid for professionals.

I don't blame you - there some right bodge merchants about.

--
Simon Mason
Old January 13th 12, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:22:08 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

We manage quite well thanks. We know what teachers earn, its public
domain, so we have a little chuckle at that. And of course, not being
wage slaves, we employ clever accountants to make sure we pay almost no
tax. All quite legal.

As I say, I am very grateful that there are people like you around,
and would happily pay you cash for you to do the jobs I wouldn't want
to do.
Old January 13th 12, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:00:30 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Jan 13, 8:02*am, Bertie Wooster wrote:

The bathroom used to be four distinct spaces: bathroom, separate WC,
airing cupboard and a bit of corridor. It now has a travertine and
marble floor, underfloor heating and a wet room area: it's a luxury we
deserve.- Hide quoted text -

Like my sauna then - although I would prefer a Turkish bath.

In Sanya we have the luxury of being able to go from hot tub to the
25m swimming pool, to the sea at will. Few Chinese swim, so we have
the sea and pool more or less to ourselves. The hot tub, however, is
very popular.
Old January 13th 12, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:04:32 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Jan 13, 11:35*am, (Roger Merriman) wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
On Jan 10, 3:42 pm, (Roger Merriman) wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 11:53:44 +0000, Tony Dragon
wrote:

You don't seem to know much about this. It is perfectly possible to
use the Woolwich Ferry if you don't mind dismounting and being treated
as a second class road user.

Funny every time I have been near the Woolwich ferry, the cyclists have
not joined the queue but have cycled up to the front before getting on
the ferry.
Hardly being treated as a second class user.

I absolutely agree with you. Cyclists are given 5* treatment on the
Woolwich Ferry - when it's running.

I've not used it, on a bike myself but on foot, But yes why on earth
would i want to wait with the cars on the deck? and why would the ferry
want me to? bikes not being as big or as heavy.

rather pleasent way to cross the river really.

Roger
--www.rogermerriman.com

Indeed.
Cycles get free and priority passage on the Hull - Rotterdam ferry.

--
Simon Mason

as long as it's not too busy in the summer can hope on one of the boats
and chug along the Thames very pleasent indeed.

Roger
--www.rogermerriman.com- Hide quoted text -

It is a pity the Humber ferries ended - I used to enjoy the river
cruises along the estuary.

Were they licensed I wonder?

--
Mason is in denial - he is an alcoholic.
He claims that he drinks ten to twelve pints
Old January 13th 12, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:55:08 +0000, JNugent wrote:

On 13/01/2012 18:41, Simon Mason wrote:
On Jan 13, 8:10 am, wrote:

I don't hang around in the bathroom; Mrs M and the daughters like to
take long baths with Dead Sea salt and other bath additives, but I
just get a shower, wash my hair and shave then I am out of there. I
relax in the sauna which I assembled myself from logs, not panels. I
also wired up all of the stoves, although putting in a 9kW one was a
mistake as it caught fire due to overloading the wires, so I opted for
a 4.5kW now.

Not trying to save energy then? Seems a pity as a cyclist. Though you
probably waste less energy than a typical motorist.

-- .
Feed people not cars.- Hide quoted text -

I save about 1000 litres of petrol a year by not driving so have
plenty of carbon credits in the bank.

That's nothing.

I save many thousands of litres of fuel each year by not doing ten round the
world trips in my car.

And I save more than twice as many more by not doing it in a gas-guzzler.

I save countless more pounds by not buying and running a private aeroplane
and many thousands by not taking a taxi to Hull and back every weekend.

I save money by not drinking ten pints of beer every day of the year.

I think I might start not drink twelve pints - and save a bit more.

Old January 13th 12, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:45:15 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Jan 13, 7:16*am, Bertie Wooster wrote:

Sometimes I wonder how people manage with jobs like unblocking toilets
and clearing grime from gutters, but I am very grateful such people
exist: they serve me well so I can enjoy my leisure pursuits.- Hide quoted text -

Indeed, although I am in the British Gas Homecare 400 scheme as I want
proper professionals to unblock my drains, not bodge job merchants
with no qualifications.

" bodge job merchants with no qualifications."

Oh you mean that you could not do it yourself?

Bristol-Bath cycle path could become a bus route. Martin Dann UK 40 January 25th 08 04:56 PM
Thames Path on South Bank - cycling allowed? [email protected] UK 5 June 21st 07 04:34 PM
Thames Cycle Path Closed Tom Crispin UK 37 May 23rd 07 09:48 PM
cycle path/route along A9 ? redmist UK 5 May 9th 06 12:13 PM
HELP- With N Wales Cycle Path Route Please Rick UK 5 January 22nd 06 10:13 PM