NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

Old November 11th 13, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:25:50 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

That is something that I've always wondered about. Here's a big truck
planning on turning into a side road, here comes a bicycle cruising
down the shoulder. The truck, who was doing say 35 MPH slows to make
the turn. Doesn't the bicycle notice? "Heh, Wow! I'm catching that
big guy?"

In some cases, they've been told "We've painted a bike lane for you. If you're in the bike lane, you're safe."

It's not true, of course, but many people don't bother to learn much about riding bikes.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 11th 13, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Dan writes:

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 5:17:59 PM UTC-5, Dan wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

Drivers of big trucks really can't see along the trucks' sides very well. Bike lanes are certainly no guarantee of safety in this situation.

(Heck, I'm even leery of passing stopped motorcycles at their curb side.)

What are they gonna do - pinch you off into the curb?

Yes, Dan.

Or do you mean passing them at the intersection on what *was* their curb side.

Yes, that too.

As approach a stopped vehicle and consider passing between them and
the curb, first you are sizing up whether they're looking at you
and whether they're the "type" to have it in for you and pull
stunt like pinching you off out of malice. You're also sizing up...

Dan, I know you're telepathic enough to tell the "type" of motorist by glancing at the back of their vehicle.

I don't *know* it with certainty, but there are indicators and
they can be useful.

And you're so wonderfully perceptive, as to instantly size up your potential escape paths,

Er, well... yeah (but not exactly "instantly" - that's why I
said you're soing this as you approach).

... and balance the likelihood of a right hook...

Dude, I said when you get to the intersection you'd better
expect and be prepared for *any* car to turn.

... vs. the amazing benefits of saving as much as, oh, thirty seconds.

Hey, every second counts.

So please go on riding as you brag, ignoring all rules...

Now that's simply blatantly false and you know it.

... and expert advice,

:-)

... ignoring all data on causes of crashes,

More blatant falsehood, but that won't impede your spiel.

... counting on the fact that you're "special."

Well, I am. FWIW, so are you ;-)

Do continue trusting your immense superiority to skillfully flout the rules and save you seconds and seconds of time.

Works for me. (Note that "immense", "superiority", "flout", et al
are *your* characterizations.)

There is a problem, though. There are people who lack your 99th percentile skills, who have not done the diligent thinking you claim, who are not nearly so telepathic, but who ride _exactly_ same way that you do!

Hmm... no two snowflakes are *exactly* alike, so I doubt your
assertion; but I know what you mean - it's just that they're
not my problem as much as I am my own. Know what I mean? :-)

Since (AFAIK) none of us have ever met you, how are we to tell you from the rest of those dolts?

I'm here and they're not? That's a difference, eh?

To anybody but you, there appears to be no difference.

Well then, you'd best continue to be leery of passing on
the curb side.

FWIW, *I'm* very leery about diving into the gutter gauntlet,
too.

My usual preferred solution? The sidewalk.

Nice chatting with you.

Old November 11th 13, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 11-10-2013 20:28, Phil W Lee wrote:
If a driver is following too close and honking, you are being
threatened.
If you flip him the bird, you are clearly not/feeling/ threatened.

How about if I instead whip out the cell phone and take his picture?

--
Wes Groleau

“A man with an experience is never
at the mercy of a man with an argument.”
— Ron Allen

Old November 11th 13, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:25:50 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

That is something that I've always wondered about. Here's a big truck
planning on turning into a side road, here comes a bicycle cruising
down the shoulder. The truck, who was doing say 35 MPH slows to make
the turn. Doesn't the bicycle notice? "Heh, Wow! I'm catching that
big guy?"

In some cases, they've been told "We've painted a bike lane for you. If you're in the bike lane, you're safe."

Absurd!

It's not true, of course, but many people don't bother to learn much about riding bikes.

Anyone who believes that a paint stripe protects them from a
moving truck has a *lot* of prerequisites to complete before
starting bike school.
Old November 11th 13, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 11-10-2013 17:17, Dan wrote:
As approach a stopped vehicle and consider passing between them and
the curb, first you are sizing up whether they're looking at you
and whether they're the "type" to have it in for you and pull a
stunt like pinching you off out of malice. You're also sizing up
above the curb for bunny hop bailout. You're also sizing up their
and other vehicles' intentions. Is there a right turn signal
anywhere in the queue? Where is it? How many? Do any of the others
fit the type who won't signal because they don't like to tip their
hand but look like the type who would be heading that way anyway?
Any pairs or clusters? Where in the queue? How antsy are they?
What's going on out to the left? Any of these guys look apt to
get impatient and jump left. Any apparent ditzes? Etc.

I do none of that. If it's a turn only lane and I don't intend to turn,
I am not in that lane. Forgive me for not being a "scoff-law."

If it is a turn-or-go-straight lane, then I am positioned so that it is
impossible for the motorist behind me to turn in front of me. Forgive
me for claiming my legal rights.

Far simpler than all of the above, thereby freeing up a few brain cells
for other types of situational awareness.

Old November 11th 13, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Wes Groleau writes:

On 11-10-2013 17:17, Dan wrote:
[...]

No argument. Wonder if you understood we were talking about
passing *stopped* motor vehicles, but no matter.

Mostly just replied because I wanted to say, "Awesome sig!":

Wes' sig delimeter here

Old November 11th 13, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 11-10-2013 22:40, Stephen Bauman wrote:
A salute you for your ± 50 degree vertical field of vision, although I
remain skeptical of the empirical methods you used to determine this. I
have 20/15 vision in one eye thanks to a cataract operation. The doctor
told me this vision places me in the top 0.5%.

The same methods optometrists use to determine horizontal peripheral
vision: slowly bring an object from behind the head until it is seen,
while the subject is staring directly at a specific point. When the
object is seen, note the position.

20/15 means you can identify objects twenty feet away that the so-called
"normal" person can't identify till fifteen feet.
This acuity measurement has absolutely no relationship to width
or height of field.

Old November 11th 13, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 11-10-2013 22:44, Dan wrote:
But jeez, unthinking adherence to rules and assumptive
decision making is Dumb and Dumber.

I hope I am not the only one who practices thinking adherence to rules.

Old November 11th 13, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Wes Groleau writes:

On 11-10-2013 23:42, Dan wrote:
No argument. Wonder if you understood we were talking about
passing*stopped* motor vehicles, but no matter.

I rarely have any reason to pass a stopped motor vehicle. When
there's a red light or other reason for them to stop, I believe that
demonstrating I have the same rights and responsibilities as they do
is worth a lot more than getting a ten-second advantage on the light.

And I totally respect that.
Old November 11th 13, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 11-10-2013 23:42, Dan wrote:
No argument. Wonder if you understood we were talking about
passing*stopped* motor vehicles, but no matter.

I rarely have any reason to pass a stopped motor vehicle. When there's
a red light or other reason for them to stop, I believe that
demonstrating I have the same rights and responsibilities as they do
is worth a lot more than getting a ten-second advantage on the light.

Mostly just replied because I wanted to say, "Awesome sig!":

Thanks

--
Wes Groleau

Nutrition for Blokes: Re-engineering your diet for life
http://www.phlaunt.com/quentin

NY Times Cycling Article Bret Racing 1 March 20th 09 04:24 AM
Cycling article in todays Irish Times VinDevo UK 0 August 28th 08 02:09 PM
Sunday Times article on cycling safety. Garry from Cork UK 26 March 1st 08 12:40 PM
Another Times article about cycling and trains wafflycat UK 2 April 24th 06 02:48 PM
Times article on cycling 20p per mile dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 15 January 28th 04 04:08 PM