Taylor Phinney Article

Old January 29th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

Default Taylor Phinney Article

"Bret" wrote in message
On Jan 28, 11:49 pm, "Carl Sundquist" wrote:
"Bret" wrote in message

OK. Quick scan of a B/W print.

http://www.velodrome.com/CarlSuperman01.jpg

Mike G.
-

Not impressed until he does it on a fixed gear.

Bret

It isn't any different.

Not even the part where you get back on the pedals?

Not really. I wasn't going very fast, so clipping back in wasn't like trying
to do it wasn't like trying to do it in the middle of a track race where
it's hard to get your foot synchronized with the pedal stroke at 100 rpm or
so so you can plant your foot on the pedal.

Old January 29th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

On Jan 29, 12:31*am, Mike G wrote:

http://www.velodrome.com/CarlSuperman01.jpg

NO HELMET?!?

-rj
Old January 29th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jan 25, 2:15 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
Bret wrote:
"That kid is on a whole other level at 17 years old. He's truly
gifted. He's doing things right now, today, off the couch, that 90
percent of the world's population would never attain no matter how
good the training. He's another species. He's neither slow-twitch nor
fast-twitch, he's 'all-twitch.'"

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13945.0.html

We'll see how Phinney does. As for winning junior worlds TT, I got 2
words for you: Jeff Evanshine. Danny Pate was the U-boat commander
world champion in the TT about 3 years ago and he never ended up living
up to the expectation.

All these age-graded categories are embarassing and really need to stop.
All they do is inflate results by dumbing-down the competition.

It makes me sick.

Do you see Major League Baseball conducting Little League World Series
at the same time as the MLB World Series and then extrapolating the
talents of the Little League winners to what they might do when they get
to the major leagues? NO.

What the **** happened to Jeff Evanshine, Magan Long, Tyler Farrar,
Danny Pate, Tom Danielson, and countless other riders who were
supposedly the next big thing simply because they won age-graded races?

Age-graded races are a disgrace, and their results mean jack.

Magilla

Yeah, and remember about ten years back some kid, Fabian
Somethingorother, won a pair of back to back junior TT titles.
Haven't heard from him since.
Old January 29th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Mike G wrote:
http://www.velodrome.com/CarlSuperman01.jpg

ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:
NO HELMET?!?

One more stake in the heart of the politically correct.

Old January 29th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Bret wrote:

[...]

Fabio CanceledCheck won Paris Roubaix. Fine. His time trial wins at
worlds were because the best TT'ers didn't compete. Dude, guys like
Lance didn't even ride in worlds for half their career because it turned
into a bull**** race. Lance didn't even want to wear his rainbow trim
anymore on his sleeves because the entire concept of worlds got gay ever
since they mvoed it to January.

What else did CanceledCheck win? Winning Tour de France stages is a
dime-a-dozen feat.

Let's see Fabio win a Grand Tour or do something like Stephen Roche did
in 1988. Otherwise, he's a just a one-day cherry picker and doesn't
deserve half the attention he's been getting. A lot of you CSC lovers
are weird.

If you want to see what a real cyclist's resume looks like, take a look
at Bernard Hinault's. He won more Tours than CanceledCheck's won stages.
So you need to calm-the-****-down and pull your pants up.

Finally, deep down inside I suspect Cancellera is doping. But I just
can't prove it.

Magilla

Old January 29th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Richard Thompson wrote:

Does Magillagorilla even own a bicycle ? Geared or fixed ??? At
62 years old I think it would be rather fun challenging Magill to about
60 minuets pursuit on any velodrome ... and even though I have ridden
track some mostly road I might should give Migill a few bike links like
drag races for cars here in Ga. Magill let us
know when you get out of cat 5. Nick named the ' BEAR '
in 1971 Magiill = LOSER

Sign the waiting list to meet me at the cafe in Saulsalito where I
settle all my scores. Sounds like you need to get in line for your
attitude adjustment.

Magilla
Old January 29th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:

"Bret" wrote in message

OK. Quick scan of a B/W print.

http://www.velodrome.com/CarlSuperman01.jpg

Mike G.
-

Not impressed until he does it on a fixed gear.

Bret

It isn't any different.

Carl's right.

Magilla
Old January 29th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Jan 28, 5:20*pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
*MagillaGorilla wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Jan 26, 10:22 am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

Bret wrote:

"That kid is on a whole other level at 17 years old. He's truly
gifted. He's doing things right now, today, off the couch, that 90
percent of the world's population would never attain no matter how
good the training. He's another species. He's neither slow-twitch nor
fast-twitch, he's 'all-twitch.'"

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13945.0.html

So Allen Lim consider a guy who has been racing and riding a bike at
altitude for the past 12 years to be someone who is "off the couch.."

Magilla

Dumbass (hey, that felt good, I called him a dumbass)

If you knew anything at all about mini-Phinney, you'd know he'd been
riding very recreationally at best up until he started racing two
years ago. *He's been kicking ass and taking names since stepping up
to the elite cats.

You can bring up Evanshine or whomever you want as an example of a
shining star that faded away, but none of the folks you bring up had
parents, or a support structure, like Taylor. *All the difference in
the world.

Everybody I brought up had parents. *It's an undisputed fact.

I would like to bring up Evanshine again. *He won worlds and then he
imploded. *What ever happened to Tyler Farrar - I thought he was suppose
to be the next big deal? *How about Roy Knickman? * What about Poppy-bitch?

The fact is if mini-Phinney grows up and tries to ride clean on
Slipsemen with Anorexic Drew Carey, he will ride himself into oblivion.

Winning a World Athletic Cup event on the TRACK in the U.S. is a lot
like Evanshine winning worlds in Colorado. *Most of the Olympic medal
contenders for the pursuit don't even want to be good right now because
it's a waste of time, money, and emotions.

I am confident Phinney will be outside the medals in Beijing.
Everything about his ramp-up is wrong. *All these early season world
athletic cup events dilutes their importance because few of the top
people contest them and even fewer show up in an Olympic year.

Phinney winning a World Athletic Cup pursuit in an Olympic year is like
Mari Holden winning the world championship in the time trial in an
Olympic year. *The real world championships in an Olympic year is the
****ing Olympics. *In 2000, van Moorsel was the world chammpion in the
time trial, not Mari Holden.

**** the LA gerbil wheel.

It is good for a youngster to learn how to win.
Let it be where ever. If he is pummeled in the
top events, then there you are. It is easy to
bet the percentages and say he will become fodder.

Winning cheap and easy is what did in Magen Long and is what defines
junior racing. *It's bad because it teaches riders to expect victories
to come fast and easy when in fact victories in the elite ranks are rare
and hard to come by.

Junior racing is a form of child prostitution and should be treated as a
federal crime.

You prefer Mary Pierce and Michelle Wie getting thrown into
the thresher? I agree whole heartedly that children's and
teenager's sport is interfered with to the detriment of the participants.

A champion will prevail. You are a bit too easy calling
those victories `easy.' Superior tools and good training
do not guarantee victory. One must learn how to win, a statement
that you are ignoring.

Michelle Wie is making 6-figures so it's not child prostitution - it's
more like "child turning pro early and making more money than if she
waited."

In cycling, it's prostitution. *That's why Lynn Gaggioli quit the sport
- because even at the elite level it's still a form of prostitution.

It's wrong to teach little girls how too win at an early age -
especially against weak competition.

I maintain that learning how to win is an important lesson.
There are other lessons such as managing adversity and
putting in the work necessary to achieve a goal.

"Learning how to win" is a meaningless statement. *Anybody can win a
race in junior racing against nonsense competition. *The level of
adversity and work ethic necessary to win at the junior level is
absolutely bull**** and has no bearing on elite performance.

Winning at the elite level is about genetics, and not work ethic. *If
you had Lance's genetics, you would be dropping people with ease
regarldess of how you trained.

A lot of you people in here have no idea how important genetics are.
Genetics are everything in the pro ranks. *Everything. *Training is very
overrated.

Magilla- Hide quoted text -

Again, you demonstrate you know little about mini-Phinney. With very
rare exception, he didn't race Jrs. He did a couple, only to find
out he had no competition whatsoever. He raced the sr. IV and III
cats for most of one year, winning nearly every race he entered, then
moved up to II where he was immediately finishing very highly (but not
winning). Second season he's a I and he's winning TTs against very
talented competition and getting very good results in the mass start
events, too.

Of course, time will tell about how well he'll do in his third year.
I'd say that so far he's off to a pretty good start.
Old January 29th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Donald Munro wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

Sharapova gets her ass kicked by the Williams sisters. Sure she won
Australia, but that's a second-rate Grand Slam.

I don't really follow tennis, but didn't the Williams sisters
just get their ass kicked in the Australian open ?

The Williams girls are vacationing and doing TV commercials in the
lead-up to Australia. Sharapova was taking it seriously because she got
spanked by a teenager at the U.S. Open.

http://usopen.blogs.nytimes.com/2007...t-by-radwanska

The Australian Open is like the Giro (and the U.S. Open and Wimbledon
are both like the Tour).

Sharapova is another spoiled IMG assembly-line brat from the Bollettieri
clinic. The only reason she wins tennis matches is because like many
women's sports, you only have to be average and practice to rise to the
top at the pro level.

And also, Sharapova needs to shut the **** up when she plays because her
grunting is obnoxious.

I won't even get into the fact that she should use some shampoo that
puts some bounce in her hair. That hairstyle she has is like some kind
of greasy Marcia Brady dew that makes me just want to smash my TV set
with a sledge hammer.

http://www.megasport.ro/files/maria-..._258822833.jpg
http://www.duncans.tv/images/sharapova-stadium.jpg

How dare anyone ever compare her to Anna Kournikova.

You mother****ers,

Magilla

Old January 29th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Scott wrote:

On Jan 28, 5:20 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

Bret wrote:

[...]

Sounds like another Justin England to me. What happened to his results
lately?

Magilla