Blind Cyclists

Old August 28th 03, 09:40 PM
Peter B

Default Blind Cyclists

"Slow Pedlar" wrote in message
Any blind cyclists read this news group. Just wondered how you coped out

on
your bike using a GPS and an OS map.

The blind cyclists I see are usually on the back of a tandem and rely on the
"captain" to navigate so have no need of a map or GPS.

Do you take the dog with you for a bit
of excercise. Wonder what type of bike the dog has.

The blind cyclists I see do not have their dogs with them, presumably the
dogs have adequate exercise carrying out their normal duties.

God it makes me wonder
sometimes.

Posts like yours make me wonder sometimes.
Not wonder at why some people are as witless as you, which I've come to
accept, but more at why I feel compelled to reply.

Old August 28th 03, 10:14 PM
Simon Proven

Slow Pedlar wrote:

Excellant explanation, I see things better now. Only thing puzzles me is why
a captain is out on a bike. Maybe things are plain sailing with him along.

Delusions of grandeur, innit. The other party, the "stoker" has
delusions of servility.

Old August 28th 03, 10:14 PM
Peter B

"Slow Pedlar" wrote in message
Excellant explanation, I see things better now. Only thing puzzles me is

why
a captain is out on a bike. Maybe things are plain sailing with him along.

Courtesy of: www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary
Captain:
Pronunciation: 'kap-t&n also 'kap-&m
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English capitane, from Middle French capitain, from Late
Latin capitaneus, adjective & n., chief, from Latin capit-, caput head --
more at HEAD
Date: 14th century
1 a (1) : a military leader : the commander of a unit or a body of troops
(2) : a subordinate officer commanding under a sovereign or general (3) : a
commissioned officer in the army, air force, or marine corps ranking above a
first lieutenant and below a major b (1) : a naval officer who is master or
commander of a ship (2) : a commissioned officer in the navy ranking above a
commander and below a commodore and in the coast guard ranking above a
commander and below a rear admiral c : a senior pilot who commands the crew
of an airplane d : an officer in a police department or fire department in
charge of a unit (as a precinct or company) and usually ranking above a
lieutenant and below a chief
2 : one who leads or supervises: as a : a leader of a sports team or side

Old August 29th 03, 09:41 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:27:10 GMT, "Slow Pedlar"
wrote:

Any blind cyclists read this news group. Just wondered how you coped out on
your bike using a GPS and an OS map. Do you take the dog with you for a bit
of excercise. Wonder what type of bike the dog has. God it makes me wonder
sometimes.

Based on my experience of steering a tandem for a statistically
insignificant sample of one blind cyclist, the normal arrangement
seems to be a tandem with the blind person as stoker. The steersman
(or pilot or captain) does the navigating. My mate Bob doesn't have a
dog (not all blind people do).

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
New! Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!
Old August 29th 03, 11:46 AM
robbiew

Slow Pedlar wrote:
Any blind cyclists read this news group. Just wondered how you coped out
on your bike using a GPS and an OS map. Do you take the dog with you for
a bit of excercise. Wonder what type of bike the dog has. God it makes
me wonder sometimes.

I pilot a blind friend on a regular Tuesday night tandem ride. He takes
his folding white stick with him strapped to the carrier. He would love
to be able to navigate and to be fair usually knows where abouts he is
on the local roads. I am constantly humbled by his positive attitude and
determination in all aspects of life.

Don't take the pi55 out of him. Incidentally we do triathlon together.

Old August 29th 03, 02:10 PM
Bryan

Slow Pedlar wrote:
Any blind cyclists read this news group. Just wondered how you coped out
on your bike using a GPS and an OS map. Do you take the dog with you for
a bit of excercise. Wonder what type of bike the dog has. God it makes
me wonder sometimes.

I Wonder how you managed to work out how to turn teh computer on and
find this news group. Or perhaps someone had to do it all for you as you
obviously havn;t go a an ounce of intelligence, or compassion.

FWIW, my girlfriend contracted an eye infection last year and has
subsequently been rendered blind. She would love to come out riding
with me, but can't. However she has just submitted her application for
the London Marathon, and although she doen't have guide dog (if she
get's in) is raising money for Guide dogs for the Blind (For those
interested when her donation web site is up and running I'll post it
the address here).

Bryan

Old August 29th 03, 03:00 PM
Clive George

"Bryan" wrote in message

FWIW, my girlfriend contracted an eye infection last year and has
subsequently been rendered blind. She would love to come out riding
with me, but can't.

Bad luck. I'd hate that. A tandem would seem an obvious thing to get.

cheers,
clive

Old August 30th 03, 11:14 PM
Sue

In message , Clive George
writes

FWIW, my girlfriend contracted an eye infection last year and has
subsequently been rendered blind. She would love to come out riding
with me, but can't.

Bad luck. I'd hate that. A tandem would seem an obvious thing to get.

It's nowhere near as easy as it looks! I had a go at it, but it's like
learning to ride a bike all over again, and I don't normally use drops
which is what the tandem has. It does come with its own mechanic, since
that's what its blind owner does for a living.

It seems help is available, as he told some anecdotes of RNIB training
courses for new blind tandem couples. Training completely new steerers
is only for the brave, as they're likely to fall off at least once (he
stayed on his feet and supported the bike while I rolled onto the
verge!)

--
Sue ]
Old August 30th 03, 11:51 PM
Clive George

"Sue" wrote in message
In message , Clive George
writes

FWIW, my girlfriend contracted an eye infection last year and has
subsequently been rendered blind. She would love to come out riding
with me, but can't.

Bad luck. I'd hate that. A tandem would seem an obvious thing to get.

It's nowhere near as easy as it looks! I had a go at it, but it's like
learning to ride a bike all over again, and I don't normally use drops
which is what the tandem has. It does come with its own mechanic, since
that's what its blind owner does for a living.

You can get tandems with straight bars...

It seems help is available, as he told some anecdotes of RNIB training
courses for new blind tandem couples. Training completely new steerers
is only for the brave, as they're likely to fall off at least once (he
stayed on his feet and supported the bike while I rolled onto the
verge!)

Hmm - the general idea for riding a tandem is that you don't fall off.
There's no need for a new captain (steerer) to do so - eg I watched one
today do just fine.
One generally recommended thing is to ride solo for a bit to get used to the
feel of the bike (brakes, gears, pedals, etc).
If the captain is smaller than the stoker, things do get a little harder -
does this apply to you? But I'm guessing the OP doesn't have this situation.

cheers,
clive

Old September 1st 03, 10:54 PM
Sue

In message , "Just zis Guy,
you know?" writes

It's nowhere near as easy as it looks! I had a go at it, but it's like
learning to ride a bike all over again, and I don't normally use drops
which is what the tandem has. It does come with its own mechanic, since
that's what its blind owner does for a living.

Bob Bristow by any chance? Or are there two blind tandem-riding
mechanics in Britain?

Possibly not, though it's hard to imagine a blind bike mechanic not
riding a tandem if he possibly could.

Dealing with Bob's really educational -
"There's some play in this, look!"
"I can't see anything..."
"Put your finger on it and feel it then!"
"Oh, yeah, there is some play in it!"

Does that mean you live in R**ding?
--
Sue ]

Road or Sidewalk? K-Man General 74 June 19th 04 12:26 AM
Talk Radio Hosts Encourage Killing Cyclists Cycle America General 24 May 30th 04 01:53 AM
Risk Homeostasis - Drivers and Cyclists Robert Haston Social Issues 48 December 12th 03 04:56 PM
Risk Homeostasis - Drivers and Cyclists Robert Haston Recumbent Biking 50 December 12th 03 04:56 PM
Calle Ocho, cyclists collide ThreeLeggedDog General 2 October 12th 03 08:42 AM