South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'...

Old July 9th 04, 04:01 PM
Howard

Default South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'...

Hi folks,

From Carlton Reids excellent 'Bikebiz' site...
( http://www.bikebiz.co.uk ).

Cycle commuters be damned, South West Trains doesn't want you.

The BikeBiz editor has just returned from a press trip to Switzerland.
Swiss trains allow the carriage of bicycles - positively encourages
it, in fact - and are famously punctual. Here in the UK, a leaked
document from South West Trains reveals that the company believes the
carriage of cycles should be further restricted because it can "have a
significant impact on train service performance." In Switzerland,
there's a truly integrated transport system, here it's a shambles.
Shocking, really.

"Whilst South West Trains recognises the benefits of an integrated
transport system and the positive benefits of cycling, this has to be
weighed up against the business needs of providing seating to
passengers during peak times," says Michelle Kynaston, the Cycle
Policy Project Manager for South West Trains, in her company's Cycle
Policy Proposal.

"Please do not circulate the proposal to the media," urged Kynaston,
aware of the fact that bad news spreads faster than good.

The devil is in the detail: cyclists - it appears from the leaked
document - are not welcome. Want to take the train to London and then
get to work the rest of the way by bike? Better do it after 10am, an
extension to the already draconian cycle carriage restrictions. And
South West Trains want to extend the geographical reach, too.
Train/cycle commuters in Alton and Basingstoke can kiss their journeys
good-bye.

A privatised rail network, now that's an idea that'll work, thought
the Tories. Shame on Sir George Young, the Bicycling Baronet. He aided
and abetted a policy that resulted in the mess we're in now.

Full document he

CYCLE POLICY PROPOSAL
JUNE 2004

South West Trains

Cycle Policy Proposal

1. Confidentiality
1.1. This information is provided so you have an opportunity to
comment on the cycle policy proposal. Once we have completed the
consultation process and finalised the cycle policy then the
appropriate publication of the policy will take place. Please do not
circulate the proposal to the media.

2. Correspondence
2.1. All correspondence relating to this document should be sent to
Michelle Kynaston
Cycle Policy Project Manager
Floor 6
41-45 Blackfriars Road
London
SE1 8NZ
Or by E – mail

The deadline for a response is 21st July 2004

3. Introduction
3.1. South West Trains is currently reviewing the existing Cycle
Policy during peak times, Monday to Friday. This is due to the
increasing numbers of passengers using the train service during the
peaks. South West Trains has seen an 11% increase in passenger numbers
from 2002 to 2003. The Central London job market continues to grow
with our passenger forecast during peak times increasing in line with
employment demand.

3.2. Peak trains have always been busy but are getting busier and
there is a conflict of interest between passenger seating and cycle
carriage on many peak South West Trains' services. The proposal seeks
to address this and to ensure that expectations of cyclists and other
passengers are clearly understood before they board the train.

3.3. The Cycle Policy review does not affect carriage of folding
cycles that can be stowed as luggage, they can be carried on all South
West Trains' services or cycles left at stations prior to travel.

4. Background
4.1. On South West Trains' services each modern type of train now
maximises the number of seats available in each carriage. Cycle
storage on trains during the peak periods is extremely limited with a
conflict of interest for cyclists and passengers. The space provided
for cycles on many of South West Trains' services is dual purpose,
providing extra seating during busy times. This can cause friction
between passengers and cyclists as seating is adaptable to cycle
storage
4.2. Cyclists joining and alighting busy trains can at times have a
significant impact on train service performance. This can cause
further delays to other train services due to the intensity of the
service during the peak times.

4.3. Whilst South West Trains recognises the benefits of an integrated
transport system and the positive benefits of cycling, this has to be
weighed up against the business needs of providing seating to
passengers during peak times.

4.4. The SRA has recently published their cycling policy which they
consulted on and it can be accessed through their website
www.sra.gov.uk.

5. Current Policy
5.1. The current South West Trains' policy is:

i) In the area bounded by Dorking, Reading, Woking and Guildford,
cycles may not be carried towards London between 07.45 and 09.45 and
leaving London between 16.30 and 19.30, Monday to Friday.

ii) Reservations apply at all times on the West of England line.

iii) Cycles are permitted on all other South West Trains' services
subject to space availability. We give guards the right to refuse to
carry any further cycles where the available identified cycle spaces
on the train are already taken.

iv) Folding cycles that can be stowed as luggage can be carried on any
South West Trains' service at any time.

6. Cycle Policy Proposal
6.1. The cycle policy proposal is set out below, please refer to South
West Trains' maps Appendix A and B highlighting the proposal.

i) Extend the area up to and including Alton and Basingstoke where
cycles are not permitted for carriage on South West Trains' services,
Monday to Friday. The existing boundary stations of Dorking, Reading
and Guildford remain. The area to include Guildford to Ascot branch
line.

ii) Extend the time cycles are not permitted for carriage on South
West Trains' services in the area stated above from start of service
until 10.00 and between 16.30 and 19.30. This includes all services
within the area in either direction. This will incorporate the
majority of services on the network where there is a conflict of
interest between cycle storage versus passenger seating.

iii) Introduce free Cycle Reservations (outside the area in 6.1i) on
mainline peak services. All mainline services leaving London Waterloo
between 16.30 and 19.30 will require a cycle reservation and Appendix
C lists the peak services that will require a cycle reservation

iv) Only passengers with season tickets longer than weeklies can apply
for a cycle reservation. The cycle season ticket will last the
duration of the travel season ticket and will be issued through our
Customer Service Centre at Southampton. Cycle season tickets and
labelling for the cycles will be sent out as part of the reservation.

v) It is intended that the cycle reservation scheme will run as a
pilot with a full review prior to the introduction of the Winter
Timetable in December.

vi) Reservations apply at all times on the West of England line as now
and there is no change to the current process of reserving cycles on
these services.

vii) Folding Cycles that can be stowed as luggage can be carried on
any South West Trains service at any time.

viii) Cycles are permitted free of charge on all other South West
Trains' services except where for reason of safety and comfort of our
passengers, if the available identified cycle spaces on the train are
already taken, the guard has the right to refuse to carry any further
cycles on that train.

6.2. After the introduction of the cycle policy, any services on the
network where there is significant conflict of interest over passenger
seating and cycle storage, a train specific cycle ban may be
introduced. Where this occurs consultation will take place with
relevant local authorities and cycle user groups.

6.3. Clearly it is important in light of the cycle policy proposal
that we continue to improve cycle storage and security at stations.
This year so far additional cycle storage has been installed at
Addlestone, Egham, Chertsey, Richmond, Norbiton and Surbiton. There
are further plans for Basingstoke, Brookwood, Farnborough, Fleet and
Woking. CCTV cameras are to be installed at Liss and Poole improving
security.

6.4. Many improvements are made in partnership with local authorities
and we are actively looking for similar schemes that will improve
cycle facilities at our stations.

7. Consultation
7.1. We recognise this is a significant change to the existing cycle
policy and are consulting over 100 people/organisations before
concluding our views and implementation. The consultation includes
cyclist user groups, MPs, rail passenger user groups and councils.

7.2 . We are also running a poster and leaflet campaign aimed at
cyclists who carry their cycles on South West Trains' services during
June. All cyclists who submit their mailing details will be kept
informed of the policy changes. Appendix D refers.

8. Implementation
8.1. Proposed implementation date is either the 6th or 13th September
2004.

8.2. Once the policy is finalised there will be a second poster and
leaflet campaign advising cyclists of the changes. This will be
supported by customer information systems, on train announcements and
additional staff/managers' presence on stations and trains.
Old July 9th 04, 04:16 PM
Simonb

Howard wrote:

the company believes the
carriage of cycles should be further restricted because it can "have a
significant impact on train service performance."

I used SW Trains on the Waterloo - Weymouth line for years, and it was
great. Until they removed the mail cages (which were fine for carrying
bikes -- lots of room, double doors) and introduced bike 'hangers' in the
pokey guard's office. These hangers make taking bikes on and off the train a
very lengthy business -- no wonder they have an impact on service
performance.

I really hate what's happening to our public transport infrastrucure.

Old July 9th 04, 04:29 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I really hate what's happening to our public transport infrastrucure.

It has to be said...

.... What public transport infrastructure???

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old July 9th 04, 04:31 PM
Jon Senior

In article ,
omcom says...
... What public transport infrastructure???

The private one! :-)

Jon
Old July 9th 04, 04:33 PM
citydreams

may i refer you to this?

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthr...hreadid=139046

Old July 9th 04, 04:45 PM
Simonb

It has to be said...

... What public transport infrastructure???

It's still there, I use it very regularly. It's just that the people running
the services seem to prefer I didn't.

Old July 9th 04, 04:50 PM
J. Chisholm

Simonb wrote:

Howard wrote:

the company believes the
carriage of cycles should be further restricted because it can "have a
significant impact on train service performance."

I used SW Trains on the Waterloo - Weymouth line for years, and it was
great. Until they removed the mail cages (which were fine for carrying
bikes -- lots of room, double doors) and introduced bike 'hangers' in the
pokey guard's office. These hangers make taking bikes on and off the train a
very lengthy business -- no wonder they have an impact on service
performance.

I really hate what's happening to our public transport infrastrucure.

That's the problem. We don't have a 'service' just something to enable
someone to make a profit.

I've been a commuting cyclist for 35 years but rarely take my bike on a
peak hour train.

BUT

In Cambridgeshire, where cyclists are many, a passenger complained to
the authorities that in the event of an incident the number of bikes in
doorways would hinder evacuation of train. Some trains to Cambridge in
the peak might carry over 16 bikes. Bikes were then banned from peak
hour services. In fact many Cambridge commuters have two bikes, one for
each end of the trip. When you can pick up a serviceable bike for £25
AND there is adequate cycle parking at both ends this is often a good
alternative.

I'm afraid in these days you have no RIGHT to put a bike on a train for
no charge, and those who think they have even when this deprives
passengers of space, and then create a fuss, are likely to foster the
removal of the privilege to take bikes for free on off peak trains.

I can remember the days when a bike attracted half fare unless it was a
Bickerton even on off peak trains.

I'd suggest that getting TOCs, SRA, and LAs to provide good secure cycle
parking as a priority for bothe ends of trips is a better use of effort.
(Just hope that TRANSEC doesn't get it closed a day after it is opened!)

Jim Chisholm
Old July 9th 04, 04:53 PM
Clive George

"citydreams" wrote in message
news
may i refer you to this?

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthr...hreadid=139046

You may not realise this, but the cyclingforums site you refer to is just a
way of getting to the newsgroup uk.rec.cycling. So you should say 'see
thread entitled National Campaign - let's do it', so the majority of readers
don't need to open a new browser window.

cheers,
clive

Old July 9th 04, 05:40 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Cyclist without folding bikes should be banned from peak hour trains.

Funny that last summer in Cologne, where the commuter trams ran on time, and
lots of people with bikes got on and off, it didn't seem to stop the trams
running on time and bother people getting on or off, or along the platforms,
didn't stop lots of people using the trams...

Funny how we can't seme to manage it on this side of the Channel, when on the
other side, in lots of places they seem to get an integrated public transport
service running that accommodates bikes and people well, and on time, be they
train or tram and where people use the facilites.

I think we could be learning a lot from across the channel on this issue.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Mail on Sunday andy w UK 92 October 27th 03 01:42 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM